Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnolan

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Apple ad

This morning on the local NBC affiliate here in Atlanta, they were giving an overview of the ads for the superbowl. They showed clips of several commercials that would air. They didn't show the entire commercials, only 2-3 second clips. One of those clips was the "1984" ad with the girl wearing the iPod and they mentioned that Apple would be an advertiser for the game. Other press regarding the iTunes/Pepsi ad has really been positioned as one of a series of Pepsi ads planned for the game. If the news media here was accurate, it looks like Apple will also have another ad closely matching the "1984" ad we have all seen.

Molten Thinker

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
Too bad I don't get bubbly water...

I live just across the border (Canada). And no one, I mean no one is going to ship me cap-winning bubbly water. No pepsi for me. I prefer Coca Cola anyways :).

iggyb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
Re: what all bottles have these caps?

Originally posted by jmsait19
are these caps only on pepsi or will they be on all pepsi products like mountain dew and such??

Unfortunately...only Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and Sierra Mist. I wish it was on Dew as well, but it ain't.

To be fair, though, I think Pepsi is looking to boost the sales of their products that are flat lately.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Winning caps will be on Pepsi, Diet Pepsi & Sierra Mist.

All iTunes download prizes must be redeemed by, 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on 4/30/04 (“Redemption Deadline”)

Those answers and many more await you in the Official Rules of the Promotion.

This is at least the third time this topic has come up and the same questions are asked and answered. Please do a teeny tiny bit of research before asking anything further.

** Note: This post is not exclusively directed at jmsait19 **

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Furthermore....

From the aforementioned Rules

" Apple Computer, Inc. is not a sponsor of this promotion."

" Maximum number of valid Codes per email address/person that can be entered at the Web Site is 10 per day and 200 total throughout the Promotion Period"

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
You know, it is kind of ironic.

Does Steve Jobs want to sell sugared water or to change the world?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
pepsi doesn't take that long to sell 100 million. Sounds like a lot, but it's not when you try to quantify how many stores, vending machines, vendors are out there.

wdw_

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
Re: You know, it is kind of ironic.

Originally posted by Sol
Does Steve Jobs want to sell sugared water or to change the world?

LOL!

Personally, my favorite soda is Diet Pepsi, so this promotion is a great thing for me.

Taking a long gulp of Diet Pepsi sometimes feels like a breath of fresh air. I used to be a diehard Classic Coke guy.

El Tritoma

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Albuquerque, NM
Re: Re: how many?

Originally posted by wordmunger
Actually, at this point there are really no Apple commercials. The commercials and the promotion are paid for by Pepsi. Apple has agreed to cross-promote on its Web site and with iTunes. But maybe Apple will surprise us with a real Apple commercial.
Actually, I didn't say "Apple's commercial" - meaning a commercial belonging to Apple or paid for by Apple. An "Apple commercial" is shorthand for a commercial about Apple (leaving out the preposition and just letting Apple modify commercial), which I think it is.

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
That front page ad is horrible. It looks like a newbie to photoshop could have done that pic. You'd think with Apple's closeness with Pixar they could have at least made the pic in 3D. At least then it would have looked like a real picture, instead of a whacked out collage.

Anyway, I don't see how these ads will boost Apple computer hardware sales. iTunes and the iPod both work in Windows. I really don't understand Apple's insistence on promoting the iPod over their CPU's.

Anyway, here's to hoping Apple releases something big on the CPU front. :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by wdlove
Does anybody know if the cans might be included?

No cans - it has to be the bottles with tops - they print the code under the tops - no where to print them easily in a can, you know?

D

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yay! Time to start buying more Diet Pepsi, I am glad I am the only one in my store who is really into iTunes (or really on the internet at all) as well as being the only one who drinks Diet Pepsi...too bad there is a 200 song limit!!

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Re: More than 1 commercial?

Originally posted by bertagert
I saw part of a Pepsi ad for the superbowl. It has Britney Spears, Beyonce', Inrique Eglasias and that chick from Third Rock from the Sun tv show. They're all in the middle of the coliseum in Rome, singing "we will, we will rock you" [by queen]. All dressed in gladiator garb. Inrique is acting like Caesar.

I think, judging from the song, that this commercial will also be itunes related. Of course, maybe they're trying to tell everyone that Pepsi will rock you. Guess we'll find out on Sunday.

No offense to those who like these artists, but that sound like the WORST commercial to ever cross the airwaves. Ugh.

Also, I'm not to crazy about the iTunes commercial eather. It just doesn't sound...right for some reason. I can't really explain it.

Oh well, I guess it's a good thing I'm not in marketing....

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Originally posted by wchamlet
That front page ad is horrible. It looks like a newbie to photoshop could have done that pic. You'd think with Apple's closeness with Pixar they could have at least made the pic in 3D. At least then it would have looked like a real picture, instead of a whacked out collage.

Anyway, I don't see how these ads will boost Apple computer hardware sales. iTunes and the iPod both work in Windows. I really don't understand Apple's insistence on promoting the iPod over their CPU's.

Anyway, here's to hoping Apple releases something big on the CPU front. :D

You're right about the Apple front page. I hope something replaces it soon. At least the other one (the one with the bottle and the headphones) was at least somewhat cleaver.

As for helping CPU sales, it won't. It will just help iPod sales.

idkew

macrumors 68020
You all seem to be looking at this wrong.

This is not a promotion by Apple. It is not designed to sell more G5s or iPods, it is designed to sell more sugar water.

Pepsi is doing this promotion. They are paying (a very happy) Apple for each and every song redeemed, and they probably are paying to use Apple's name and likeness.

As someone else posted from the rules:

13. SPONSOR: This promotion is sponsored by Pepsi-Cola Company, Purchase, New York 10577. Apple Computer, Inc. is not a sponsor of this promotion.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Originally posted by wchamlet
It's all about visibility and exposure. This giveaway provides both.

You would be surprised at just how many folks really don't know a whole lot about computers. The average person does not.

I believe by having iTunes and the iPod cross platform, more people will look to Apple as a viable option when they purchase their next computer. In their minds, they will see a Mac as another alternative that works with what they have vice a totally different system. Compatibility is key these days.

Sushi

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
Never have never will

I have never had a soda in my life and I'm not about to start. No free songs for me :(

macshark

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
Previewing the iTunes Pepsi giveaway ad a masterful distraction tactic by Apple to hide the real big surprise. I expect to see a new Apple ad for a brand new 20th anniversary Mac product that will "shock and awe" the Mac community.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
You know, why did Apple update their 1984 commercial for just Macworld and the website? Why? I really think that'll be their commerical for the Superbowl. I really think that'll be the 'surprise' if there is one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.