Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Apple should stop crying. They act like Apple was the 1st to create a candy-bar phone. When in fact, LG was the 1st to make one back in 2006. Apple then copied the design and released the iPhone 4 in 2010.

LG Prada (2006) vs iPhone 4 (2010)

What did apple do? Slap a apple logo in the back and a one button design in front? Wow! Want a cookie? LOL

Obviously, a lot of fan boys are going to bash your post by claiming the Prada's UI looked nothing similar to the iPhone etc. But the general concept and design philosophy that are evident on those photos are something Apple is often given credit for while it's a fact they were not the only ones doing it.
Yes, we all remember what phones looked like before 2007, but few seem to remember or even failed to realize that the iPhone and Prada concept was exactly the direction phones had been slowly progressing towards for years before.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
And Apple has never borrowed/copied/stolen any designs from anyone, ever, in their entire history.

Not once.

Ever.

You're right... Apple is certainly guilty of borrowing/copying/stealing.

And so is everyone else.

Or was it a complete coincidence that HP came up with this?

That's borrowed with a capital B

388_original.jpg

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Eh. Not really. I've been on Windows 8 since the Consumer Preview came out a little over a month ago. People have been screaming about how MS killed the desktop and blah blah blah Worst Windows Ever. It's all hyperbole. The changes made are more superficial than completely redefining. After a month of constant use, I barely even acknowledge the differences between it and 7.

I'm not saying I agree with them, it's just the idea to them of taking away the start menu and replacing it with a fullscreen version. It's like Apple taking away the Dock in OS X and replacing it with a fullscreen app launcher. People are bound to complain.

People have complained about every version of Windows, people complained they removed the classic start menu in Windows XP, and changed it back, and then complained about it in Vista, and then in 7. I don't listen to them, I love Windows 8.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
I'm tired of patents making the news. I just want cool stuff.

People are less likely to make them if somebody holding a patent uses it to cash in after said people do all the work...

And since all the real money is in patents, I'd rather save up and buy one of those than do real work... It's a pity patents are beyond our reach...

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
It's kind of ironic that you would post such an uninformed opinion in this particular story. The MS "investment" into Apple was actually the result of a settlement in a patent dispute. It also included MS agreeing to support IE as the default browser as well as the full Office suite on OSX.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/stop-the-lies-the-day-that-microsoft-saved-apple/7036

Um, who is uninformed, again?
Here's some light reading. Apple's case against Microsoft was full of hot air and Microsoft knew it.

Enjoy
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12568621/

(some more background)
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12563571/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12566350/

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Probably arguing about the shape of the conference table.

You jest, but in an unrelated discussion between two parties (it might have been North Korea and the UN during or after the Korean War), they argued over flag heights....

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
It's actually routine to meet with a magistrate to discuss settlement scenarios though usually only the lawyers meet, including general counsel for important cases. But sometimes senior executives attend meetings as will be the case here.

If its just the lawyers meeting nothing is getting settled. They'll just buy each ther lap dances and continue making millions.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hope Apple don't just settle if they feel they have a good case. I really dislike everything Samsung are about.

----------

I hope not. I don't want that iOS crap on my phone.

Its ok, you can just install one of the other 50000000000000 different versions available.

kdarling

macrumors P6

And so is everyone else.

(picture of laptops snipped)

Hey, don't be dissing HP :)

HP's free afterschool lectures helped get Jobs interested in computers in the first place.

Woz sold his programmable HP calculator to help raise funds to create Apple and its first computer.

Perhaps most importantly, we and Steve Jobs have HP's iconic desktop calculators to thank for the inspiration of the Apple II case design.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Supposed iPhone 5 prototypes reveals it looking like a white Galaxy SII, so it's time to forget these issues. "I copy you today, you'll copy me tomorrow".

The 'supposed iPhone 5 prototypes':
1) are fan-made mock-ups of what they think it will look like, and haven't changed since the *last* round if 'iPhone 5' speculation (which turned out to be the iPhone 4s).
2) existed *before* the Galaxy SII.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Last edited:

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

And so is everyone else.

Wow. If you removed the line on the mouse pad and replaced the flying windows key I would not be able to tell the difference.

iHEARTcartoons

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
San Diego
Legal battles are just part of normal big business. Nothing to do with right or wrong, who was first or even legalities for that matter, it's just a leverage tool. Apple has always been very good fighting these battles to help their business and not always in the right. It seems the ends justify the means, as Apple has almost always come out for the better.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011

And so is everyone else.

Apple TV.

apple-tv-patch-stick.jpg

WD TV Mini.

Edit: just to make my point clear here. The WD TV Mini predates the 2nd Gen Apple TV.

Edit2: The dimension are as follows (in inches):
WD TV Mini: 3.6*3.6*0.8
2nd and 3rd Gen Apple TV: 3.9*3.9*0.9

Last edited:

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Settle so that innovation can move forward. Apple hasn't had anything neck breaking in a while.

Looking forward to your innovations.
Just advertise them here and we'll all buy immediately!

Love the logic but I don't innovate or invent things not what I do. However, that doesn't mean I can't comment on innovation.

I have wrote a bunch of innovative scripts for the Mac Admin community if that counts. Probably more than you've contributed to the Mac community.

BTW: love your signature... rather ironic don't you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.