Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple and Skype React to AT&T's Announcement of Support for iPhone VoIP Services

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Following AT&T's announcement that it will now allow iPhone Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services over its mobile network, Apple and VoIP provider Skype have issued public statements reacting to today's announcement.

The Associated Press reports that Apple will be moving forward as quickly as possible to enable customers to take advantage of the functionality.
Apple welcomed the announcement. "We are very happy that AT&T is now supporting VOIP applications," said Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris. "We will be amending our developer agreements to get VOIP apps on the App Store and in customers' hands as soon as possible."
Skype president Josh Silverman also applauded the move, as his company will now be able to expand the usability of its iPhone application, which has been limited to Wi-Fi access only for VoIP services.
All of us at Skype applaud today's announcement by AT&T (in an FCC filing to be published shortly – update, it's here in PDF format) that it'll open up its 3G network to Internet calling applications such as Skype. It's the right step for AT&T, Apple, millions of mobile Skype users and the Internet itself.
Silverman notes, however, that the company still hopes to see government policies enacted to provide for the openness necessary for Skype to be available throughout the industry.

Article Link: Apple and Skype React to AT&T's Announcement of Support for iPhone VoIP Services

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
It's awesome, but I'd like to know what got AT&T to change its mind. Are they trying to get some positive press for a change? Is it because of the impending net neutrality legislation?

Comment

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Maybe now AT&T will offer a plan that is a phone and data only. Then I can do whatever I want with it. Hmm, novel idea. A device that you connect to a network where you can use any number of services like email, web browsing, place calls, etc. Where have I heard of such a thing before? Naa, it will never catch on.

Comment

sinani201

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
It would have been soooooooo predictable if VoIP were available for all apps except Skype. That would be the classic, evil Apple we all know and love.

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Sounds to me like AT&T is trying to cover it's butt with the FCC. I'm also guessing Apple,Inc. is very happy about it too..

Now Google..That's a different story..

Comment

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
AT&T makes the bulk of their income from the $79.99 minimum per month that we pay. The revenue from long-distance calls is next to nothing by comparison. This is a very good PR move for AT&T.

Comment

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
That was fast! I just got notified of a new version of Skype on my iPhone...

LOL... wouldn't that be cool?

Comment

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Double exactly right. This is all about maintaining their exclusivity as the only iPhone carrier in the US.

Exactly right.

Sounds like a concession AT&T has made so that it can remain the exclusive provider of the iPhone in the US.

Seriously? You've all got some vivid imaginations... let me tell you about this magically creature that hops around laying eggs... or would you like to support that wide conjecture with something?

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Seriously? You've all got some vivid imaginations... let me tell you about this magically creature that hops around laying eggs... or would you like to support that wide conjecture with something?

It doesn't take much of an imagination to get there. But since even Apple snickers at the mention of AT&T lately, you imagine AT&T is bending over as far as they can to keep their exclu$ivity intact.

I have no proof to support my statements, just a gut feeling.

Comment

reemas

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
This post should have been titled:

AT&T Fears Losing iPhone Contract

Comment

barrina

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
So what does that mean for the ill-fated Google Voice app? Maybe it can be broken out of jail (broken)...

Comment

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
I'm not sure if this has been touched on before, but do the Skype versions for countries other than the U.S. have the ability to use 3G? It seems to me like if it was AT&T holding Skype back, that those App Stores outside the US of A would have been able to use Skype over 3G since it was introduced.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's awesome, but I'd like to know what got AT&T to change its mind. Are they trying to get some positive press for a change? Is it because of the impending net neutrality legislation?

Or to short circuit the latest Verizon ads? Or because Verizon already allows VoiP (and Slingplayer) in their wireless terms of service?

Maybe all of the above...

If it was just for net neutrality, they jumped too soon. The Republicans are pushing back on the idea of allowing any app, especially ones that might bog down a network.

Comment

macerroneous

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
USA
Wild speculation

OK, I buy the presumption that ATT made this concession as a part of an ongoing contract with Apple. I think it is interesting that this happened on THE SAME DAY that we're hearing announcements about additional carriers in Canada. So, maybe Apple says "We're opening up the iPhone to more carriers unless you announce by 10/06/2009"

But remember, ATT hasn't engaged tethering yet. Furthermore, there's plenty of speculation that one tablet configuration will include 3G access. If so, the tablet will presumably allow VOIP over 3G. So, to maintain exclusivity and win the tablet prize, ATT had to agree to a BIG package, including VOIP and tethering. Maybe? Or, maybe it's just CYA for the FCC. If tethering arrives before 11/1/09 there's corroboration. Also, if you see these Apps in the next 48 hours, it means Apple's been waiting for this.

Comment

klittle32

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Sounds like a concession AT&T has made so that it can remain the exclusive provider of the iPhone in the US.

I disagree. How much will Apple really benefit from this? Sure, I see them selling more VOIP apps in the the iTunes store as a result of this, but the increased app sales would result in much less revenue for Apple than would the expiration of AT&T's exclusivity contract and subsequent increase in iPhone sales.

The reason for AT&T's about-face must be something else, and most likely is coming from a direction other than Apple's. I would suspect AT&T cut a deal with the FCC before Apple.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.