Apple and Tim Cook Celebrate International Women's Day

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today is International Women's Day, which recognizes the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.

[​IMG]

Apple is celebrating the day by highlighting a selection of songs, movies, TV shows, books, and podcasts created by, about, or inspired by women across Apple Music, iTunes, and iBooks, as it did last year. Look for featured banners in the iTunes Store or tap on the Browse section in Apple Music.

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook also tweeted a quote from Malala Yousafzai, a Pakistani activist for female education, as mentioned in her autobiography I Am Malala. Yousafzai became the youngest-ever recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014 at the age of 17 for her struggle against the suppression of young people's right to an education.

Apple has also been hosting Today at Apple sessions in Singapore in celebration of women who inspire the community, and at its Marché Saint-Germain store in France tonight, the company will be hosting a recruiting event, billed as an evening of inspiration, participation, and celebration.

In addition, there's an Activity Challenge that tasks Apple Watch users with doubling their Move ring today in return for a set of still and animated stickers that can be sent to friends and family members via iMessage.

Note: Due to the nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple and Tim Cook Celebrate International Women's Day

2. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

It's great they're celebrating this! Angela Ahrendts was also named most inspiring woman by CNET today!

Also, everyone take cover! Men anrgy about there not being an International Men's Day INCOMING!

3. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

Feminism has got to far if they care so much about females then look at islamic countrys and fight for them, im sorry but females now days are equal and this is getting out of hand metoo isnjust a celeb fashion

4. willyx, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

willyx macrumors member

I wonder what would happen if a company hosted a recruiting event aimed at men.

What a hypocrite, opportunist and discriminative promotion of "equality", for the sake of marketing.

5. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Celebrating bald women... oh it says bold women, guess that makes more sense. But double kudos to bald bold women.

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I don't understand that quote. It's saying the third power, "women", is not in the world? And it's suggesting women have their separate type of power rather than swords and pens, presumably men's power? How is this quote for equality?

7. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

8. scrapesleon, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

scrapesleon macrumors 6502

scrapesleon

Out here trying to double my move ring such a chore right now but anything for the ladies

9. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

In most sectors (especially those representing the most wealth / power), “male” is the default.

When companies hold a recruiting event, it is by default an event aimed at men, unless they make a deliberate effort to avoid unconscious bias.

If you really want to get rid of “special” women-only events, then work to get rid of all the bias favouring men in the world. Once that’s done, we won’t need special events for women any more. Until then, we do.

(The above applies to pretty much any other minority group that you take issue with receiving “special” treatment btw.)

10. chorner, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2018

chorner macrumors member

Men are being put at a disadvantage in every sector. Instead of focusing on gender, why not just open the doors and let whoever is best qualified show up. Women outnumber men in University now; and the wage gap is pure politically motivated ******** for low-IQ individuals to feed off of.

Minority group... Rich, you should be ashamed of yourself.

11. augustrushrox macrumors member

Malala's has never exactly been known for being smart. Example: she truly thinks that simply criticizing Islam at all is what creates radical Islamic terrorists, mind you not the fact that there are legitimate and widespread fundamental denominations of the religion whose interpretation of hadith and the Quran promotes terrorism.

That all said, you're right, the quote when read doesn't make much sense. I think I understand what she was trying to get at, but it's terribly worded.

Well of course they do -- feelings! /s but also not entirely /s

Shhhh. It doesn't have to actually make sense as long as you feel like it makes sense.

12. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Today is International Woman’s Day. That means honoring the accomplishments of women in this country, and around the world.

That doesn’t mean it’s International Hate Men day. Grow up and actually educate yourself about feminism. Stop foolishly believing that promoting one thing automatically means hating another. Equality does not exist yet. Just look at the “me too” movement and the disparity in women’s pay. Why not use this day as an opportunity to actually do some research on the Internet to look at some of the studies about the treatment of women. Instead of just firing off some random hipshot comment like how about a day for men. Don’t you think every day already honors men?

One thing in life: You can always count on MacRumors users to deliver unnecessary venom to any thread.

13. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

So. Damn. Proud.

14. Rum_Becker macrumors regular

I did some research, looks like wage gap is a myth, domestic violence around 50/50, more women in University, men under , men under 30 make less money, most suicide are men and the same with workplace deaths. You would think that men actually dying on the job would be more important than sexist air-conditioning but the media only wants to talk about fake news, the real issue it that feminism is cancer.

15. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

I guess the story doesn’t fit too well into your little testosterone filled fantasy, does it? https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1018351001
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2018 ---
    Sounds like you did a lot of research on fake news sites. By the way, explain how feminism is cancer. Why do you feel so threatened by women being empowered as equals to men?

16. augustrushrox macrumors member

Grow up and educate yourself on the different types of equality. The most dominant form of feminism has changed from advocating for equality before the law to advocating for equality of outcomes, i.e. promoting discrimination in favor of alleged "underprivileged" groups and against alleged "privileged" groups. Any time that anybody that promotes so called "diversity" and "inclusive" programs that are based on non-meritorious variables to the respective industry (such as gender to Apple), they are advocating for unfair discrimination (sexism in this case). Companies like Apple should not be creating programs specifically for promoting women or men. They should be promoting people regardless of non-meritorious variables.

Also, any time you see someone say that women are "underrepresented" in something, you must logically ask yourself "well then, what would fair representation look like?" Most often nowadays feminists insist that fair representation means equal representation (equality of outcomes).

However, fair representation does not mean equal outcomes, i.e. ~50% men/~50% women. This is because men and women are actually different, and both in general actually have many differing wants and aspirations, due to both nature and nurture. There being not many men in nursing compared to women does not mean that we should promote men to become nurses because we think they're underrepresented until they reach ~50% of the profession.

Again, the fairer equality -- equality before the law -- exists in many cases (Civil Rights Act), but I think you're thinking of equality of outcomes, or at least private citizens treating people in this same way. That said, how do we measure when your vision of equality has been achieved? How do you measure progress if you have not stated what type of endgoal (form of equality) you want? The disparity in women's pay has been brought up a countless number of times and virtually every single variable leading to different outcomes in earnings has been concluded to be fair and nondiscriminatory.

QUOTE="Swampthing, post: 25877580, member: 30455"]Don’t you think every day already honors men? [/QUOTE]

No. I really don't. I don't think women should have a "day". I don't think men should have a "day". That said, if women DO have a "day", men should TOO. Not that I care much in the grand scheme of things, I just want to be logically and ideologically consistent.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I respect what Aherendts has accomplished with Apple at the retail store level. Coming from Burberry, she had a lot of experience, but a big role to fill, and the store level is a massive responsibility.

18. imronburgundy macrumors regular

imronburgundy

19. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

20. Rum_Becker macrumors regular

As true leftist you have no argument and go straight to ad hominem attack, no time to waste with people like you.

21. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

You’ll be pleased to know that it’s November 19th. You’re welcome.

22. ocnitsa macrumors regular

I don't understand how this is a feminist holiday. When I lived in eastern Europe it was one of the biggest holidays we celebrated (never been so drunk before or since). The former Soviet Union doesn't strike me as a feminist bastion, either.

23. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Feminism reminds me of that episode of the simpsons where Lisa joins the football team to show woman can play sports too!... only to find four or so other girls already doing it.

Look, I am in a STEM field. I don't see many girls in CS nor math but there are plenty in bio. This whole inclusion movement is moronic since if a girl wanted to do CS related stuff she'd be able to. NO ONE CARES (at least in my age group). Men and women have different goals and insterests. Big shock.

I have two sisters who had teachers motivating them. I've seen people motivate girls and letting them chose what they want in life. It's not the 50's anymore.

I'd also argue woman have more rights than men right now. FYI equality means equal not "i get more power than you because your ancestors had more power than my ancestors". That's what neo feminism is.

Anecdotal but I've seen many women without ambition have a family as a fallback. I've been directing my girlfriend into going to school soon. She's 26 and will continue to do dead end jobs if she doesn't study something. I've always told her, "I don't care what it is just do something with your life". Her parents, while sheltering, do also encourage her. But she's had this idea of having kids and blah blah. As a guy I'm kinda jealous that someone with little struggle can just get married and have a decent life. A guy can NEVER do that.

Anyways. Part projection, part facts here and since I'm a dude I'm sure you'll just say my testosterone is high like you've told someone before.

24. Rum_Becker macrumors regular