Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
,My 8 year old really wants to make movies, but I'm just starting to learn iMovie and am not much help. He's also shown an interest in coding. Got him signed up for both - he'll be psyched. Thanks Apple, and thanks for posting, Macrumors.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
I ran a few of these Apple camp classes for video and photo years ago. It was the main reason why I quit Apple retail... that and, oh yeah, bad compensation.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
This is so frustrating. My 8 year old autistic child would absolutely adore the programming one, but we're on holiday that week.

I found out he's already installed iOS 10 on his iPad (using my developers account - cheeky £$$£##£"!) and is enjoying Swift Playgrounds :)
Ok, we're booked!

We'll be crossing from our holiday home on the Isle of Wight via catamaran each day to Southampton! He's never been to an Apple Store, or a 'camp' or a boat like that before. Should be interesting.

Reactions: Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Way to go Apple, because nothing say upscale shopping like kids running around touching everything they can get there hands on.
My God, it's my job around here to be the pessimistic asshat, don't steal it!

I think it's wonderful that Apple are doing this.

When I was a young kid my parents had me go to a private computer school for kids.
It was a terrific experience and I took away some best practices for my entire life that are just natural to me.

Offering classes like these for kids is amazing, let alone providing them for free. There's only so much YouTube videos can do for you and how much they manage to engage you might vary a lot depending on what the video and your mood is like.

I take it that the folks doing these workshops for kids at Apple Stores are carefully selected and if I had been able to do some lessons on Macs over beige Windows PCs back in my days I'm sure I had been even more motivated.

This is all great and the benefits certainly outweigh the notion of developing a pro-Apple bias.

Avoid Apple Store's during the summers.
Free WiFi, amazing design and perfectly working air conditioning in major areas.
What could possibly go wrong. :p

Glassed Silver:mac

Cwolk

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
NJ, USA
When did they first start with these camps? I would've loved them a few years ago when I was a kid. I hate to say it, but I'm jealous of those 8 to 12-year-olds.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
At least Apple is doing something for kids, and it's free. Only the most spoiled kid would scrutinize the hardware, and those pampered and coddled little kids aren't likely to attend these seminars anyway.
Lol fair enough. But then again.. You can't price on their education.
[doublepost=1466548732][/doublepost]
I ran a few of these Apple camp classes for video and photo years ago. It was the main reason why I quit Apple retail... that and, oh yeah, bad compensation.
I don't get it. You hate kids?

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
My God, it's my job around here to be the pessimistic asshat, don't steal it!

I think it's wonderful that Apple are doing this.

When I was a young kid my parents had me go to a private computer school for kids.
It was a terrific experience and I took away some best practices for my entire life that are just natural to me.

Offering classes like these for kids is amazing, let alone providing them for free. There's only so much YouTube videos can do for you and how much they manage to engage you might vary a lot depending on what the video and your mood is like.

I take it that the folks doing these workshops for kids at Apple Stores are carefully selected and if I had been able to do some lessons on Macs over beige Windows PCs back in my days I'm sure I had been even more motivated.

This is all great and the benefits certainly outweigh the notion of developing a pro-Apple bias.

Free WiFi, amazing design and perfectly working air conditioning in major areas.
What could possibly go wrong. :p

Glassed Silver:mac
problem is parents tend to use the Apple store as a daycare center

Kagami190

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Aw they're so cute! I don't have kids but if I did I would totally drop them off at the Apple Store to play with expensive toys while I shopped in the mall! :D (Though I probably wouldn't make sign ups in time lol)

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
Rather crazy that despite Japan being the land of robot tech, "Coding Games and Programming Robots" is not offered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.