Apple Announces 3 Billion App Store Downloads

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that users have now downloaded over three billion iPhone and iPod touch applications from the company's App Store since its July 2008 launch.
"Three billion applications downloaded in less than 18 months -- this is like nothing we've ever seen before," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The revolutionary App Store offers iPhone and iPod touch users an experience unlike anything else available on other mobile devices, and we see no signs of the competition catching up anytime soon."
With the App Store having reached two billion downloads just over three months ago, the new milestone represents continued acceleration of growth for the store as Apple's handheld devices continue to attract significant numbers of customers. The App Store continues to be available to customers in 77 countries, offering applications in 20 categories.

Article Link: Apple Announces 3 Billion App Store Downloads

Bigdaddyguido

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Thats just amazing. I love how every other competitor keeps claiming they'll have equalled or surpassed the app store by next year. That means these other app stores are predicting to have gone from well under a billion downloaded apps to well over 10-20 billion in just 12 months. Plus that estimate could be well under sized if the tablet is a success.

Good luck!

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
While the relevance of this is mostly to developers (ie volume spells profit), it's the breadth of App availability that has me hooked to the platform, despite continuously being interested in whether a switch to an Android phone would be satisfying. Add to that and the comfort that you just know developers are going to be continually engaged by the big d/l numbers and it means the iPhone remains the place for consumers who value choice and ongoing dev interest.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Thats just amazing. I love how every other competitor keeps claiming they'll have equalled or surpassed the app store by next year. That means these other app stores are predicting to have gone from well under a billion downloaded apps to well over 10-20 billion in just 12 months. Plus that estimate could be well under sized if the tablet is a success.

Good luck!
I'd love to know which competitor is making that claim. At this point, that would be rediculous.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
They have cleverly timed this press release for the same day as the expected Google phone announcement, knowing that every article will compare it to the iPhone.

Now all those articles will include this statistic, reminding everyone that the iPhone is the 'phone to beat'.

A great way to ride a little of Google's publicity train this week.

Schizoid

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
UK
...and those figures are exactly the same for Zune apps too...
(just knock off 9 zeros)

HiVolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, this is great and all, but what I'd like to see the breakdown on how many paid & free app downloads there are, and actually how many are kept on a device for more than a week.

There is so much GARBAGE in the App Store.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I'm sure we'll see further increases if the tablet runs the same apps too.

Its hard to imagine 3 billion apps when you really think about it, its like every other person on the planet having one app each - crazy!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It will never happen, but I'd love to know how many paid apps were downloaded.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Pretty meaningless...

They don't say how many are paid versus free.

This also might include updates to apps which would make the number mean even less.

caseys

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
I wonder how many of those free downloads were also from the 12 Days of Christmas App so far.

Would like to know the ratio of paid to free app downloads. A few people I know just download everything free just for the sake of it and are literally working through the store A to Z.

eat me

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
London
tbh, this is just a clever marketing spin. Sure, these kind of numbers would be silly to ignore on Apple's part, but it just proves that general mass of people and especially hip teens will download anything for free. Even if you know it's going to be crap. And there is a vast sea of uncategorizable and unfiltreable crap on AppStore.

I would be more interested in statistics like "how many apps on average iPhone/iPod", "how many are deleted within the first week out of those downloaded for free/purchased", etc. But of course, these would actually mean something, and I doubt they will produce anything close to the 3bn number.

Also, what are all these people downloading, really? AppStore at the moment is just rehashing and rotating all the old successful apps/games, there's hardly any new exciting apps, let alone on a daily basis. Perhaps it's just the fresh owners.

Having said all that, AppStore still blows anything else out of the water. I just hope Apple won't rest on its laurels and change the AppStore (faster approval/sorting/features/etc) for the better in the near future.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
The discriminating user wants more data. And so does the potential developer.

Consumers want to know how many free and how many paid apps are in the catalogue. (Does anyone know this or have a link to that info?)

Developers of course want to know the breakdown of paid apps: how much money is being paid in total, and what's the breakdown of that (in-app purchasing for instance).

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I wonder how many of those free downloads were also from the 12 Days of Christmas App so far.

Would like to know the ratio of paid to free app downloads. A few people I know just download everything free just for the sake of it and are literally working through the store A to Z.
I think you've probably answered your own question. My guess is that the majority of apps being downloaded are the free apps. I wonder if there's even one user out there who hasn't downloaded the free and amazing Shazam app. If everyone has this app, we'd just need to cross-reference the number of iPhones sold to get a starting point on that app alone.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
tbh, this is just a clever marketing spin. Sure, these kind of numbers would be silly to ignore on Apple's part, but it just proves that general mass of people and especially hip teens will download anything for free. Even if you know it's going to be crap. And there is a vast sea of uncategorizable and unfiltreable crap on AppStore.
Does it really matter? All that's really important here is the trend: incredible GROWTH. With no end in sight. The iPhone is THE platform for which to develop, period. And the interesting thing is, there's no slowdown and it's projected to only get bigger. The app store may have the most apps, but it also has the best ones.

This is what's important.

joshuwack

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
"...and we see no signs of the competition catching up anytime soon."

Funny this comes on the same day Google announces (purportedly) the Nexus One. :p