Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it is working with Pixar, Adobe, Autodesk, NVIDIA, and Linux to promote and develop Pixar's 3D Universal Scene Description technology.

Apple-Alliance-for-OpenUSD-AOUSD-logo.jpg

Open Universal Scene Description (OpenUSD) was created by Pixar Animation Studios as a 3D scene depiction technology that promises significant interoperability among tools, data, and workflows. It is widely recognized for its efficiency and ability simplifying cinematic content creation. Mike Rockwell, Apple's vice president of the Vision Products Group, commented:
OpenUSD will help accelerate the next generation of AR experiences, from artistic creation to content delivery, and produce an ever-widening array of spatial computing applications. Apple has been an active contributor to the development of USD, and it is an essential technology for the groundbreaking visionOS platform, as well as the new Reality Composer Pro developer tool. We look forward to fostering its growth into a broadly adopted standard.

The Alliance for OpenUSD (AOUSD) seeks to augment the functionalities of OpenUSD and encourage a high level of 3D tool and data interoperability. It will formulate written specifications to define the features of OpenUSD and promote widespread adoption, integration, and implementation of the technology. To learn more about the Alliance for OpenUSD, visit the organization's website.

Article Link: Apple Announces Alliance With Adobe, NVIDIA, and Others to Develop Pixar's 3D Standard

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Apple doing Pixar's bidding here or just spending $10K per year to give the appearance of support of this open standard? Have been several attempts at similar open standards in the past, but none have taken off. Need better integration with C4D and similar apps before this is widely adopted. With Autodesk onboard, doubtful Maxon will jump in quickly. Adobe trying everything to get people onboard with Substance. Great tools, but their prices are a bit steep for independents, especially when they're not integrated with AE very well (yet).

mrothroc

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2012
San Francisco, CA, USA
This is another brick in the foundation to ensure there will be compelling content for the Vision Pro and any subsequent AR products. An open standard encourages the creation of an ecosystem of 3D tools, across all price ranges, which will in turn enable content creators to generate all kinds of content.

It is fascinating to watch how Apple is coordinating the bootstrapping of an entire industry in plain sight.

CD Player

Suspended
Aug 1, 2023
Unpopular related opinion: I sometimes wish Apple didn’t move to SoC’s as they don’t allow for upgradability with GPU’s (even though Apple cut ties with nVidia), RAM, etc. An SoC Mac Pro at an increase of $1000 to $7000 seems excessive for a tower without being able to upgrade crucial components.

Certainly, they’re faster with much less power consumption yet at the cost of longevity via upgradability. I wonder if Apple kept working with Intel as they did when the MacBook Air was released with a custom CPU only Apple had if Intel’s map may have been different. Who knows? Times change.

I’ve used PowerMac’s and Mac Pro’s for years and this was my first time not upgrading to the new one. Love my Mac Studio Ultra but miss upgradability and being able to cold boot Windows for much needed applications. Intel offered a truly all-in-one system that businesses loved; that sector is gone.

I hope Apple finds a way to allow eGPU’s/discrete GPU’s and RAM upgrades using a middleman controller of sorts - I doubt latency will be hit that hard and even so, I’ll take a speed hit to be able to add more to my systems and keep them longer. This isn’t an ARM issue but rather an SoC design matter.

Last edited:

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I personally fail to see why Apple working with Nvidia on having their hot, overly power hungry GPU's integrated into Apple's devices is worth wild. When Apple's integrated GPU does most if not all what Nvidia or AMD GPU's can do at like 1/5 the power draw. Way more available RAM, and a crap ton of bandwidth. Is it as performant on the very top end as them? No, but in some cases it is or close, and at worst its like 50%. Again, for the amount of power needed, M2 GPU has no real equal.

This partnership seems like a great way to promote the standard with industry leaders. Rather than have each of them try and develop their own and attempting to optimize it for each platform (x86, Nvidia, AMD, and ARM). While also keeping development for the VisionPro moving forward.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
Unpopular related opinion: I wish Apple didn’t move to ARM SoC’s. The inability to use third party GPU’s (even though Apple cut ties with nVidia) and RAM esp on the Mac Pro is criminal while creating a disposable lineup that creates more waste.

Certainly, they’re faster with much less power but at a larger cost. I wish Apple kept working with Intel as they did when the MacBook Air was released with a custom CPU only Apple had. I wonder if Intel and Apple would have benefitted longterm yet I sense Cook wanted to push for already used ARM SoC’s from iDevices to Mac’s to increase profits.

I’ve used PowerMac’s and Mac Pro’s for years and this was my first time not upgrading to the new one ($7000 for an SoC system??? Ridiculou). Love my Mac Studio Ultra but miss upgradability and being able to cold boot Windows. Intel offered a truly all-in-one system that businesses loved; that sector is gone.

I hope Apple finds a way to allow eGPU’s/discrete GPU’s and RAM upgrades using a middleman controller of sorts - I doubt latency will be hit that hard and even so, I’ll take a speed hit to be able to add more to my systems and keep them longer. nVidia is still a necessity for many.
Can't you see what Intel and AMD are innovating fast after the M1 came out. It was a kick into a stagnant market and we all benefit from that. Intel was just getting lazy and moving slowly.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Only thing Apple will ever work on with Nvidia, such pettiness on their part.
And yet the history is well known and documented.

The last Nvidia GPU in a Mac was 2015 iMac, whereas the GPU issue on Macbooks was 2007/2008 so even Nvidia dumping the costs on Apple when they gave millions of dollars to the likes of Dell over the issue wasn't the cause of Nvidia disappearing from Mac OS

Mojave beta had support for Nvidia GPU's and would have continued if Nvidia had been prepared to supply Metal Only drivers without insisting on CUDA.

Apple - moving forward we want only Metal API to be used.
Nvidia - we insist on CUDA support for our drivers as well for your Systems.

When one of those 2 is the customer then the Customer wins.

Apple insisted on Metal and they doing the buying so the Customer here. Nvidia insisting on including CUDA so got told no thanks.

Whilst not Apple not blameless here then Nvidia just as pig headed in insisting on something that there customer saying NO to.

Of course the losers were the end users.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Unpopular related opinion: I wish Apple didn’t move to ARM SoC’s. The inability to use third party GPU’s (even though Apple cut ties with nVidia) and RAM esp on the Mac Pro is criminal while creating a disposable lineup that creates more waste.

Certainly, they’re faster with much less power but at a larger cost. I wish Apple kept working with Intel as they did when the MacBook Air was released with a custom CPU only Apple had. I wonder if Intel and Apple would have benefitted longterm yet I sense Cook wanted to push for already used ARM SoC’s from iDevices to Mac’s to increase profits.

I’ve used PowerMac’s and Mac Pro’s for years and this was my first time not upgrading to the new one ($7000 for an SoC system??? Ridiculou). Love my Mac Studio Ultra but miss upgradability and being able to cold boot Windows. Intel offered a truly all-in-one system that businesses loved; that sector is gone.

I hope Apple finds a way to allow eGPU’s/discrete GPU’s and RAM upgrades using a middleman controller of sorts - I doubt latency will be hit that hard and even so, I’ll take a speed hit to be able to add more to my systems and keep them longer. nVidia is still a necessity for many.
The MBA is now 10x better of a laptop since moving away from Intel. Even a lot of video pros are using them as well as designers, musicians and app developers.

I had a eGPU and while yes it provided some level of boost it sucked trying to get it to work well. I get much better performance with Apple Silicon GPUs now than I ever did with a eGPU. TB4 was just too much of a bottleneck and required too many hacks to get it working right. A Mac mini M2 Pro easily beats whatever I could do with my Vega 56 eGPU.

The move to Apple Silicon is hands down on of the best things Apple has done in years. The only people that are really negatively impacted are those that ran bootcamp on Intel Macs in a vain attempt to have windows gaming on a Mac and maybe a handful of users trying to use Windows only productivity apps on a single machine.

For the cost and hassle of it all one is now much better off just getting a M2 MBA and a cheap 3060 gaming PC laptop. Best of both worlds with no farting around. Costs the same or less than a good eGPU without any hassle at all.

The mixed use users were always a niche group at best anyway. Apple was never goign to keep around support to make 1% of users happy who love to tinker and use machine in ways they were not designed for.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I hope Apple finds a way to allow eGPU’s/discrete GPU’s

Doubtful it will happen, unless there is an "Apple GPU" style box you can attach in future M3/M4+ products. Could see a SOC add on for specific applications supported, but a lot depends on the application specific functionality. Accelerating ProRes is done onboard and made Afterburner useless. Would not be shocked to see eGPU support entirely phased out after macOS 14, even for eGPU compatible and supported Intel machines.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012

Certainly, they’re faster with much less power but at a larger cost...
Definitely feel this (have the last Intel iMac and enjoy being able to boot over to Windows), but can see why Apple did what they did, Intel was stuck on their same process size for years and years. For the market that just needs basic - mid range computers (the majority of their buyers), their SOC strat is just light years ahead (I haven't bought one yet, but will probably when the updated iMac when they come out).

I bought a PC for the first time in years for that angle now. Was nice while we had Intel, but it was another area where Intel just fumbled it away (like Intel blew it with choosing not to provide the SOC / CPU for the original iPhone), Apple waited and waited and finally took matters into their own hands, which for most of their customers is so much better.

DaveEcc

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Microsoft partnered with nVidia for the original XBox, then dumped them and went AMD. Sony then used them for Playstation 3, then dumped them and went AMD. Everyone seems to regret whatever partnership they make with nVidia.

Surely if everyone thinks nVidia is a bad partner, the problem isn't Apple, but nVidia, as desirable as their GPUs are.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Working with Nvidia would’ve been really useful a few years ago
How, exactly? AAPL wants to commoditize GPUs and Neural Engines. NVDA wants to commoditize CPUs. What exact compromise do you imagine between those 2 strategies? Paint the broad brush strokes, please.

CD Player

Suspended
Aug 1, 2023
The MBA is now 10x better of a laptop since moving away from Intel. Even a lot of video pros are using them as well as designers, musicians and app developers.

I had a eGPU and while yes it provided some level of boost it sucked trying to get it to work well. I get much better performance with Apple Silicon GPUs now than I ever did with a eGPU. TB4 was just too much of a bottleneck and required too many hacks to get it working right. A Mac mini M2 Pro easily beats whatever I could do with my Vega 56 eGPU.

The move to Apple Silicon is hands down on of the best things Apple has done in years. The only people that are really negatively impacted are those that ran bootcamp on Intel Macs in a vain attempt to have windows gaming on a Mac and maybe a handful of users trying to use Windows only productivity apps on a single machine.

For the cost and hassle of it all one is now much better off just getting a M2 MBA and a cheap 3060 gaming PC laptop. Best of both worlds with no farting around. Costs the same or less than a good eGPU without any hassle at all.

The mixed use users were always a niche group at best anyway. Apple was never goign to keep around support to make 1% of users happy who love to tinker and use machine in ways they were not designed for.
Agree but also there are/were a lot of users that owned MacBook Pro’s as they needed Windows for work use and preferred OS X and many businesses covered the costs as a business expense - a personal computer that’s also a work computer. It’s not as niche as some claim. As someone who worked government for 10+ years, we switched over to Mac’s just for this reason. Sadly, I know they won’t be updating to ARM Mac’s Should the time come. There’s a lot of money that the creative industry puts into their hardware and Mac Pro’s were a big part. Not anymore.

As for the systems: Intel absolutely dropped the ball. I was just spitballing on what could have been if Apple kept up with designing processors as they did when they switched in the mid-2000’s. No question ARM systems are faster and efficient - it’s the lack upgradability that is the biggest issue. An iMac or Mac Pro or Mac mini could last longer with a simple RAM upgrade or GPU on the Mac Pro. Now, systems are completely obsolete after 3-4 years max. That’s not great for the wallet or environment. Cook also claimed lower prices on ARM Mac’s but we know how that goes

Last edited:

CD Player

Suspended
Aug 1, 2023
Apple realizes the Mac Pro is worthless in the pro market without an Nvidia GPU. At least end users got to suffer for the petty dispute all these years. I'm really not buying into any more tech by anyone, it gets abandoned too fast and loses support overnight due to childish behavior by childish executives and lame stockholders. Can't get a reliable workflow going to run a business. This ride sucks!
100%! Having to get a Mac Studio Ultra as the Mac Pro is a $7000 paperweight now will probably be my last Mac unless Apple finds a way to allow RAM, GPU, etc upgradability (perhaps a middleman controller at the cost of some speed/latency?). I was hoping they would solve the SoC issue with the new Mac Pro and if not at least a lower price point. $7000 for a disposable “Pro” Tower that doesn’t even have the same specs as the Intel systems - that was a throat punch even for Apple.

Reactions: Nermal and Romain_H

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Just my opinion so don't flame me or anything. But, I think a better way to state this is that you wish Apple didn't "have to" move on from intel/AMD/nVidia. If we go back to the AIM days (Apple IBM Motorola). That worked well for awhile. Then Motorola couldn't deliver G4's at increasing clock rates. Not that the chips didn't perform. Just getting left behind by brute force (intel and AMD). Apple worked with IBM's Power series chips. It had more legs, so they moved to the G5 (Power 4 variant). That took them as far as IBM could take it. No 3GHz chips, HOT, not going to work in a mobile device. Performant yes, but not going to be for long. Again, Intel/AMD just brute forced their way to the top. So, Apple worked with intel. Reliable and eventually they would lead the pack. It was a really good run. Lots of new Mac's. Having Nvidia was also a great option. But, we are back at the same point again. Intel stopped producing more performant chips. Both Nvidia and AMD GPU's had their "issues" on the Mac side. And again, TOO power hungry. The only option left was to go their own way. They have the tech to do so with ARM and they had already been designing A series chips for some time. It gives them the full control they want (It's Apple after all). They make a chip that is performant but not power hungry. They can fully design it to fit the systems they make. They only have to wait on themselves (COVID and supply chains not withstanding). To quote Steve Jobs, who quoted Wayne Gretzky "we can skate to where the puck is going".
They did try, but intel sells to the broader world/market. Not just Apple's needs. It wasn't going to work the way intel was setup at the time. And they didn't have a means (like they are working on now) to really customize it they way Apple wanted. Plus being stuck on 14nm for some time didn't help. Again, faster but less power. We want these things in laptops just as much as desktops. All performant laptops on the x86 can't run full tilt without being plugged in. They need more power than the battery can put out. If you go custom x86 you get a less performant chip (Atom, Celeron, early MacBook Air). Once A series chips became as performant as any "normal" laptops. It was a no brainer to move to their ARM custom chips (M series). Profits are great (they have to do this), but those later intel laptop MacBook Pro's are power hungry, HOT, and can't produce peak performance due to the design of the laptop. Even the M SoC are thermally challenged, but not as much as the intel chips are.
Dual boot was nice. But you can still run it as a VM with ARM versions of Windows. So it's not totally gone. And, if Microsoft decides to allow it. We may get that feature back. As Apple isn't preventing it. I currently run Windows 11 and Ubuntu Linux on my M1 Max Studio. Works great. I'm not gaming on it, so if that is your use case then its still more work to get it up the way it was. For that, I would wait for the new porting tool kit to assist in getting native games over to the Mac. Since Apple is at least putting in more effort in that area now. It may work out for us all.

Upgradability. RAM and storage on a laptop upgrades was nice. But something I personally did less and less overtime. My current intel 2019 MBP has 32GB. I haven't needed more. My studio has 32GB of ram in it. I maybe use half. If you need more than the 128 or 192GB they have today. That's a very specific use case, and even fewer people need it. It is something Apple will need to address overtime. I think they have the time to design the SoC's to handle more. They would need a more Xeon/Epic like M series chip. No efficiency cores, no built in GPU, and upgradable RAM. I'm only guessing that they will do something like that for future MacPro towers. The volume they have to make these chips at may have prevented them from doing it already. Since they don't sell it outside of their own computers. It will cost them more for limited use CPU's. Tradeoffs.
You will lose the speed. You will gain heat, and need more power to run the system. It works well for a tower design. Not for a thin and light laptop. As I type this up. My laptop's fans are kicking in. I can't wait for next year to upgrade this thing for an M2 Max. Or if I am lucky a new M3.

CD Player

Suspended
Aug 1, 2023
Definitely feel this (have the last Intel iMac and enjoy being able to boot over to Windows), but can see why Apple did what they did, Intel was stuck on their same process size for years and years. For the market that just needs basic - mid range computers (the majority of their buyers), their SOC strat is just light years ahead (I haven't bought one yet, but will probably when the updated iMac when they come out).

I bought a PC for the first time in years for that angle now. Was nice while we had Intel, but it was another area where Intel just fumbled it away (like Intel blew it with choosing not to provide the SOC / CPU for the original iPhone), Apple waited and waited and finally took matters into their own hands, which for most of their customers is so much better.
Absolutely. I just wish Apple did more with Intel like they did when they first switched. They had some innovative CPU’s.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

rikki_t

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2023
USD is just a file interchange format like FBX or Collada, not much to do with GPU's,why would this heralds a new era for Apple Nvidia relationship, on the other hand if Apple is required to license Nvidia's api's as part of this that would be something else again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.