Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
this is kinda limiting as you can't play all stuff that you ca on frontrow.. ie, avi divx etc...

on the product pagem it states that its any file which is in your itunes library..

so without converting avi to itunes format, then you're pretty much buggered..

i would have bought it but the non-divx thing has stopped me..

i'll stick with my macbook hooked up to tv using frontrow for the time being

mrploddy

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
Considering the UK doesnt yet have either a TV store or Movie store UK users have what reason exactly for buying an Apple TV ?.....

-mrploddy

andyblac

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2004
County Durham, UK
this is not much for use in the UK, as we cant buy Movies/TV from iTunes. yet another useless product for Europe. US gets all the good stuff and again the price is a rip off

$299 = £153.64 yet we are being charged £199. come on apple get your act together.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
Nice device but we need 720p downloads still, or any movie downloads outside the USA, hopefully they are working on those things too.

Agreed. Not having any movie downloads in the UK leaves me uninterested in this at the moment.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
Yeah, this is kinda disapointing. I was hoping for just a simple device that brings front row to my TV easily. It's annoying that it doesn't play avi....but it does play your iTunes stuff and mpeg can be imported into your iTunes library.

But then that means you need two copies of each film- one that goes into your iTunes library for Apple TV, and one that stays in your 'Movies' folder for when you want Frontrow on your Mac. That's a bummer.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
So everyone is in agreement this is for itunes content only? No divx or other video formats? If so they just lost my sale because I was planning to get one.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
It can't record, that's the point. You buy your shows off iTunes.
Then it doesn't make sense. If I can only watch the limited library that iTunes has after paying the same as a DVD and getting lower quality - why would anyone want this over buying the actual DVD - assuming that they would still need it as not every movie comes from Disney or Paramount.
Sure have all you movies on your hard drive - who is going to sacrifice that storage versus the shiny platter? It is missing something - I don't get it...someone help me get it, please - what am I missing here?

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Bill Gates was right the other day when he said Apple missed the boat to get into the living room.

andyblac

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2004
County Durham, UK
It's annoying that it doesn't play avi....but it does play your iTunes stuff and mpeg can be imported into your iTunes library.

But then that means you need two copies of each film- one that goes into your iTunes library for Apple TV, and one that stays in your 'Movies' folder for when you want Frontrow on your Mac. That's a bummer.

Note quite true, did you not know that you can import AVI's into iTunes. allthough you need QuickTime Pro & the necessary codecs, all you have to do is open your AVI in QuickTime Pro and go to "Save As" chose "self-contained movie" this will put a QuickTime (.mov) rapper around the AVI so iTunes can see it. then just add as a normal mov file. and your done.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
Bill Gates was right the other day when he said Apple missed the boat to get into the living room.

LOL. From these first impressions I'm inclined to agree.

It needs LOADS of hacks to enable streaming from your Mac direct. Looking at the Apple TV on the Hardware section of the Apple site, it looks like it has to sync with your iTunes library (whats the point in that?! You don't need another clone of your library!) It also implies thyat if your library is greater than 40GB you're screwed.

Time will tell though.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
To repeat myself from another thread, it is possible to play DivX in quicktime, and so iTunes, and so (presumably) Apple TV. Also, there are many solutions for converting files if need be as well. Also, I guess that aliases will work fine for having one file in iTunes and one in your movies folder for Front Row. Feel free to correct me if any of that is wrong.

I'm personally disappointed it doesn't support full HD resolutions, (i.e. up to and including 1080p). I don't see why it isn't an option. I'm on the lookout for an HD LCD TV soon, and I'm going for a 1080p model - now I don't know whether to buy an Apple TV at the same time or wait until they upgrade it.

Oh, and I'm a UK user and I'd love one still, if it wasn't for the lack of 1080p issue - it's a nice elegant solution to watch my media from the computer on a TV - the fact that I might not download TV or movies form iTunes yet is irrelevant. Those who don't see the point probably won't need one.

I'd be voting 'unsure' if there was something between positive and negative on this...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I give it about 12 hours after launch before detailed instructions on how to swap out the hard drive are on the web. Not a big deal... TiVO's all have hard drives that are way too small, as well.. which is why people upgrade them.

Reading the tech specs on the new Airport Extreme, it says you can connect multiple printers and multiple USB hard drives to the USB port. Perhaps the Apple TV allows the same? So if 40GB is not enough just plug in a 1TB RAID box and you'd be set for a while. That USB port has to be there for a reason.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England

LOL. From these first impressions I'm inclined to agree.

It needs LOADS of hacks to enable streaming from your Mac direct + other things. Looking at the Apple TV on the Hardware section of the Apple site, it looks like it has to sync with your iTunes library (whats the point in that?! You don't need another clone of your library!) It also implies thyat if your library is greater than 40GB you're screwed.

Time will tell though.

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005

This comment seems a little premature since the product isn't even available yet. And as I recall, the original iPod had similar mixed reactions. :rolleyes:

I believe time will tell whether this is a success or not.

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
Why does everyone assume you can only stream movies downloaded from the iTunes store? My iTunes server is full of movies I've Handbraked from my own DVDs, and they seem to stream OK.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
but who wants to waste time converting avi's into mov's etc..

the whole point is that its simple and should be able to play what you have out of the box.. kinda like front row (with the codecs)

time will tell, so i will reserve full judgement till reviews come out :)

orb

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Grrr... All I want is a replacement for the Mac mini that is hooked up to the TV, something that isn't such a hassle. Front Row works nice for the most part, but you can't really escape the need for a mouse/keyboard from time to time. Also, can it really only do 1080i? A mac mini can do 1080p. (not that there is any content available)

I've ordered one, but if it really can't play anything other than iTunes downloads, I'll probably cancel. Hmmm...

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
It just seems like slapping an hdmi port on a Mac Mini would make so much more sense... especially at this price.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
oh well i bought it the second the store came up :rolleyes:

Me too. Nearly. Then I realised I could just connect my MBP to my 720p projector via DVI->HDMI for photo slideshows, which is just about all that is offered in the UK at the moment.

And I get Keynote presentations, iTunes visuals, DVD Player, etc.

I am interested in the Wireless USB drive for Time Machine though. Might need a new Airport network for that though.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So, a $300 box that brings iTunes to my TV?

No thanks.

Include DVR functionality and a slot loading DVD drive and then we can talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.