Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I hope this is like the original iPad and they soon release a redesigned second generation. It looks too kiddie and girlish as is IMO.

I'd worry that wearing one of these is just going to be like wearing a sign that says "Rob me!" when walking on the street in public considering how hot iPhones are.

Last edited:

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Consider me sold, and I haven't even seen a video of how the UI operates.

Guess now I have to upgrade from my 4S!

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
New Apple watch

I would have thought Apple would have done a better job than what this looks like. Another Post said see in a year on Ebay. Oh it won't take no year. Apple go back to the drawing board. You need to do better

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I know Apple Pay works with Apple Watch, but will it still work even if I have a 5s?

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
My only complaint with this great new product....

I'm left handed and I wear my watch on my right hand. Using the digital crown would require me to reach across the screen.

Since its digital, you might be able to wear it upside down and it rotates.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

I'm left handed and I wear my watch on my right hand. Using the digital crown would require me to reach across the screen.

I'm the same. I hoping we will be able to flip the display 180 degrees, then the crown will be on the correct side. There doesn't appear to be anything else that defines which way is up.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
No wonder they brought in that new designer, this is seriously mediocre. Reminds me of my touch screen casio watch when I was 15 :)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
All this does is prevent you from taking one second to pull the iPhone out of your pocket to do almost all the advertised tasks better. It seems like a solution looking for a problem.

The only thing that is mildly interesting to me is how it tracks your physical activity--though comparing it to a personal trainer is ludicrous and over the top. Is it going to spot me at the gym now?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

The screen may have an orientation lock like iPhone and iPad, so you can put the crown pointing left.
Bands should be clipping on either way.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
The watch is worth it just for the speak to text alone for me.

I'm getting it of that and the fitness features. Avid fitness junkie

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
i'm not sure how Apple Pay works with the watch. One of the big things about Apple Pay was that it used TouchID to verify it is you. The watch doesn't have Touch ID. Will that make it even more attractive for theft? Beyond it being an expensive piece of jewelry, now it links to your credit card and can be used to buy things without needing biometric authorization.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
meh, look at iPad 1 vs iPad 2. The iPad 2 still looks awesome and the iPad 2 looks ancient. The crown is clearly made of a size that allows them to maintain the crown size while making the watch significantly thinner in generation 2 (similar to how the iPad 1 was mostly empty space allowing them to make it much thinner in generation 2)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

they didn't discuss it during the keynote, but certainly they solved these issues. You simply have a preference that says whether you are a left-hand user and it orients the display correctly, allowing you to have the crown on the correct side.

clemensg

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2014
Looks like there is nobody left at Apple to tell Jonny Ive when his ideas are just plain awful. The first reaction should have been: "WTF. Are you kidding me? Go back to the drawing board!"

Or just hire a better designer... might be easier (and cheaper).

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I know Apple Pay works with Apple Watch, but will it still work even if I have a 5s?

he said everything you need is built right into the watch. To me that means that touchID will be built into the watch although they didn't mention it as well as NFC

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Looks hideous to me. Nice UI though, but just don't need a smart watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.