Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Officeninja

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017
How about making it possible to actually find AirPods with this? The criteria for finding AirPods with FindMy is so ridiculous that it could never be usable.
I know right? I've lost my airpods a few times and the 'Find my' app is useless for those. I've even used it feet away from where I later found them letting me know that the feature just doesn't work for them .

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I know right? I've lost my airpods a few times and the 'Find my' app is useless for those. I've even used it feet away from where I later found them letting me know that the feature just doesn't work for them .
Not for nothing, but AirPods Max do have the ability to at least play a sound when you're trying to find them. I think that's why they omitted the power switch. (I'd prefer the power switch, myself, but at least we get something in return.)

Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
Am I paranoid, or this is how agencies have your location at any time? They are "third-party", right?
That ship already sailed. Cell location from the modems in most cars, cell location from your cell phones, toll transponders, or they can straight up stash a lojack or something in your car. At least now we get a chance to use the surveillance network for finding our stuff :D.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I’ve long been getting the sense that AirTags wasn’t a product but instead a technology like AirPrint and AirPlay that third party manufacturers could integrate into their products.

With built in Find My capability, I don’t see much of a market for Apple to introduce its own. Apple is already highlighting the Chipolo key finder, identical to what an AirTag was rumoured to be. What will an Apple AirTag do differently?

I’m guessing Apple saw the potential Tile lawsuit and didn’t think it was worth piling on another example of monopoly that can aide in making an antitrust case against them, and decided it wasn’t worth the meagre revenue from $30-$50 tags.

maybe those „AirTags“ where only meant to be used internally to test this software without spoiling this program to 3rd party companies in the beginning of the development

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apple today announced the launch of its Find My network accessory program, which is designed to allow third-party Bluetooth devices to be tracked in the Find My app right alongside your Apple devices.

apple-find-my-network.jpg

According to Apple, the first accessory companies to take advantage of the new Find My integration include Belkin, Chipolo, and VanMoof, with devices set to be available beginning next week.

VanMoof's newest S3 and X3 e-bikes will integrate with Find My, as will Belkin's Soundform Freedom True Wireless Earbuds and the Chipolo ONE Spot item finder. Apple says that additional third-party manufacturers will offer Find My-enabled products and accessories soon.Apple has a strict set of rules for devices that are part of the Find My Network accessory program, and all third-party products must adhere to all of the privacy protections of the Find My Network.

find-my-app-items-tab.jpg

Participating Find My products will be able to be found in the "Items" tab and will have a "Works with Apple Find My" badge. You will be able to see Find My accessories in the Find My app under the Items tab, where they can be tracked like Apple products. Third-party accessories can be added to the Find My app on devices running iOS 14.3 and later or macOS Big Sur 11.1 and later.

Find My accessories will be able to be tracked on a map and there will be an option to play a sound to locate a lost device. Items can be put into a Lost Mode, which locks them to an Apple ID and prevents another person from pairing to it. Items can be associated with a phone number and message in case someone finds it, and users can get notifications when an item's location becomes available.

find-my-lost-mode.jpg

Third-party Find My devices will be able to take advantage of the Find My network that uses crowdsourced data from millions of Apple devices to detect missing devices or items and report an approximate location back to the owner.

works-with-apple-find-my.jpg

Apple today also announced a draft specification for chipset manufacturers that will be released later in the spring. It will allow third-party device manufacturers to take advantage of the Ultra Wideband technology in U1-equipped Apple devices, such as the iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 lineups. U1 integration will allow for a more precise, directionally aware item location experience.

Article Link: Apple Announces Find My Network With Support for Third-Party Devices
Eat it and weep haters!!

I told you ALL that Apple would NOT make a Tile like device (what Samsung thought they’d jump ahead of Apple on and did), that U1 chip is the implementation that would be used and not making hardware under $40 with such minimum margins.

I told you all that AirTags is NOT a hardware product for or by Apple!

so many kept attacking or challenging me with leaked screenshot in iOS beta - which never reached other developers period, or leakers and their junk. Told you all. There is no decent margins in an AirTag product for Apple to waste their time on or improve upon all competitors in the market significantly with. It’s a service.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Lol - do you really think that Apple isn't about to trump all of these bluetooth offerings and drop AirTags with a U1 UWB device that will make the bluetooth devices look weak in comparison and then open up the UWB integration spec (https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/07/third-party-find-my-devices-u1-chip/) after Apple releases their UWB Airtag?

Come on, the writing on the wall for all of this is too easy if you've paid attention to how Apple operates.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Looks good, looking forward to putting some Airtags hidden into my backpack and car.
Yet another reason to stay in the Apple ecosystem.

this really is not an advantage nor has anything really tangible in Apples ecosystem.
WideBand is also in Galazy S20 devices and upcoming smartphones as well - it’s not unique to Apple and anyone with a compatible phone will find the target product you’ve lost or searching for. This is simply a service.

honestly what would be game changing is not AirTags LMAO it would be collaboration with all companies implementing WideBand so that we the consumer does NOT have to rely on an iOS device ONLY to locate something lost or stolen it would be that Android and iOS devices and Macs and Windows devices COULD assist in finding the lost item. THAT is game changing.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
This announcement is either the life or death of the unreleased AirTags... personally if apple don’t announce AirTags next week they were never a thing

Reactions: jb1280
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.