Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
The types of thinking and responses here are quite amusing.

We've got one camp that says they don't care about a more powerful chip, or that the increase in processing power is merely incremental (twice the speed = incremental?).

Then we've got the angry, bent out of shape people that feel that they've been kicked in the gonads because the iPad 3 they bought is somehow now crippled and worthless because Apple released an upgraded model.

Then there are those upset because Apple chose to release a new iPad model in 7 months instead of 1 year (more or less).

I think the people above must be awfully hard to live with, considering their fallacious mindsets. They must nitpit and argue about any and every little thing :mad:

Then there is the happy group who welcome the iPad 4 and appreciate the promise of its improvements. These are the optimistic, thankful people who are a joy to be around :)

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
Am I the only retard still happy with the Ipad 1 ;-) ?
It still is a perfect complement to my Iphone and laptop ....

I'm still with an ipad 1. I have some academic funds that I'm going to use towards the new ipad 4. Would like the "retina" display and faster proc/ram. Have some larger pdfs that are cumbersome to use on the ipad 1.

I can either give my wife my ipad 1. Or look at selling it and purchasing her a ipad mini with cellular.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
I don't know why anyone on this board is angry about anything. Rumors have been swirling about a new connector for a long time. It only makes sense that Apple would get out a new Ipad asap to standardize on the new connector.

I was holding out for the new connector, but frankly, my iPad 2 still works great.

jmw1480

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Mr. Schiller,

I am writing on behalf of all the iPad 3rd generation owners who felt betrayed yesterday. When you stood up on that stage back in march and introduced what you were calling "The New iPad" we all loved it and rushed out and bought one. Now yesterday not even 7 months after you introduced the 3rd generation, you introduce the 4th generation with the lightning connector, better processor, new Facetime HD Camera. My question is why would you do two new iPad's in one year? I just got my iPad back in July and now its not even 3 months old and there is already a newer version out. I just feel like the iPad 3 was a "beta" product, because as of yesterday the product no longer exists. The 4th Generation of iPad is what the iPad 3 should have been. I understand you have to deal with competition, but the iPad is the best tablet out there as of right now, and I really think if you did a silent update and just added the lightning connector, then you would have had less people complaining.

Thanks for listening,
Kyle Slingo
kyle.slingo@me.com

Sent from iCloud

Please post if you hear back!

Ben12345678

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
I leave you with this comic from The Oatmeal....

header.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

end.png

This cartoon says more about Apple owners (speaking as one). Perfectly happy with a device, its the bees knees and wonderful. Then something new gets released and suddenly its rubbish. The device doesn't change rather its all driven by a ridiculous need for others to see you have the latest gear; whether you need it or not.

Try getting your self-worth from something a bit more meaningful.

Ben12345678

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
This sums it up nicely...

Guessing from the outrage from iPad 3 owners, there was an item on the specs sheet that said "comes with the satisfaction of owning the bestest shiniest apple product for a minimum of 12 months"

...hmm, nope, I just checked and its not there.

just go order the new one if its that important to you.

... and if that's important to you then go and have a good, long stare in the mirror and ask yourself what you're doing with life.

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
This cartoon says more about Apple owners (speaking as one). Perfectly happy with a device, its the bees knees and wonderful. Then something new gets released and suddenly its rubbish. The device doesn't change rather its all driven by a ridiculous need for others to see you have the latest gear; whether you need it or not.

Try getting your self-worth from something a bit more meaningful.

Most spot on comment I have ever seen.
For years, I needed everyone to see my new iphone and ipad and macbook pro.
Wish I found out impressing others comes with listening and taking interest in them, not showing off.

But I'm still guilty of buying all these new product for enjoying their use rather than a statement of success.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
They still sell the 2nd Generation iPad but not the 3rd?

Come on, don't you read in her? The 4th is the 3rd. Just with new internals, screen, rear cover, CPU, and lighter.

I don't own an iPad, but honestly, I think people with the 3rd gen should look into a Class Action. It obviously runs too hot. IMO, it's probably gonna crap out earlier that expected (no Apple Care)? Sure, my automobile has a Redline on the engine. However, it is not always at Redline.

IMO, the iPad 3's release is what drove Bob over the edge to retire, and he agreed to come back due to the 4th Gen "fix".

Just MO folks. If I had a 3 I'd be pissed also.

Sincerely,
Fan Boy. :apple:

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
new connector was needed anyways. Connector in use has got to me 8-10 years old now?

Change happens.

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
This sums it up nicely...

... and if that's important to you then go and have a good, long stare in the mirror and ask yourself what you're doing with life.

What you say is true, people give too much value to gadgets...

Now I wonder who started this craze?, let me think...was it by any chance Apple? ever heard of... live and die by the sword? theses kids and some not so kids are upset because apple creates the expectations of having the latest and shiniest so who can blame them when its apple itself "betraying" them

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
If you've got an iPad 3 then you still have a fantastic piece of advanced technology.

Honestly the iPad 3 is wonderful. It's just that the iPad 4 will be wonderfuller :D

----------

Just because something is old doesn't means it's worthless.

I'd be thrilled to own a 1967 or 1968 Mustang/Cougar.

The iPad 3 is what, 7 months "old"? Puhleeze...

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
If you've got an iPad 3 then you still have a fantastic piece of advanced technology.

Honestly the iPad 3 is wonderful. It's just that the iPad 4 will be wonderfuller :D

I dont think it was ever wonderful. the battery drains like crazy, it takes ages to charge and it heats up a lot.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India

----------

Just because something is old doesn't means it's worthless.

I'd be thrilled to own a 1967 or 1968 Mustang/Cougar.

The iPad 3 is what, 7 months "old"? Puhleeze...

Completely agree

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

Actually right now the main reason I do not want the 4th Generation is because if Apple Maps. My iPad is still on iOS 5 with Google Maps. I use it a lot.

When Apple Maps gets better (and it will) I will move on, maybe the 5th iPad.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I don't own an iPad, but honestly, I think people with the 3rd gen should look into a Class Action. It obviously runs too hot.

What in the world are you talking about? It's slightly warmer than my iPad 2 was but nowhere near hot enough to kill silicon.

What class action lawsuit could there possibly be? The device is not defective because its a bit warmer than a different model.

Some people...:rolleyes:

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
What in the world are you talking about? It's slightly warmer than my iPad 2 was but nowhere near hot enough to kill silicon.

What class action lawsuit could there possibly be? The device is not defective because its a bit warmer than a different model.

Some people...:rolleyes:

I think there will be plenty of time for a class action suit. The way this thing heats up it wont last long.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Im happy for the update. I still have an ipad 1 and was waiting for the update. so i got the update several months sooner then i thought. I was actually considering an android due to how fast the androids were improving then the ipad. The ipad 3 had really good gpu scores but compared to android the cpu score was pretty low. there were at least half a dozen androids that were considerably faster then the ipad 3 cpu wise. the ipad 3 needed the processor upgrade badly to stay competitive.

I realize people are upset because of a short cycle but that is the markets fault not apples. they have to stay competitive. the market has been exploding with excellent better options then what the ipad 3 was. so they had to respond.

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Im happy for the update. I still have an ipad 1 and was waiting for the update. so i got the update several months sooner then i thought. I was actually considering an android due to how fast the androids were improving then the ipad. The ipad 3 had really good gpu scores but compared to android the cpu score was pretty low. there were at least half a dozen androids that were considerably faster then the ipad 3 cpu wise. the ipad 3 needed the processor upgrade badly to stay competitive.

I realize people are upset because of a short cycle but that is the markets fault not apples. they have to stay competitive. the market has been exploding with excellent better options then what the ipad 3 was. so they had to respond.

hahaha thats a new one on me! Its not apples fault that it never put the processor there in the first place its the consumer fault for having bought an underpowered Ipad!

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
hahaha thats a new one on me! Its not apples fault that it never put the processor there in the first place its the consumer fault for having bought an underpowered Ipad!

dude what are you talking about. the market was not the same when they released the ipad 3 cpu. the cpu was just fine for its short lifetime. the market changed. times change. now its crap and they needed an update.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
dude what are you talking about. the market was not the same when they released the ipad 3 cpu. the cpu was just fine for its short lifetime. the market changed. times change. now its crap and they needed an update.

I get what you are saying an agree to a certain extent but to call the iPad 3rd gen CPU "crap" is a bit strong... The A6X will probably be on a par with the iPhone 5 CPU (which is excellent) but that didn't render the iPhone 4S obsolete any more than the iPad 4th gen will render the 3rd gen obsolete. Apple will continue to release iOS updates for the next few years and software is what defines the iPad and sets it apart from the competition anyway. The presence of lots of good quality iPad specific apps is key to the iPads continuing dominance of the tablet market.

I for one am very happy with my iPhone 5 and iPad 3rd gen combo. I'll probably wait now until October 2013 and pick up an iPad 5th gen. MBP Retina 13" is next on my "must buy" list although the new iMac is mighty tempting too... :)

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
Was waiting patiently for the new iPad in march. Really wanted to upgrade from the 1st generation. I figured the forth generation would be about perfect, but they rushed it. I have a feeling the next one will be worth waiting for- thinner, lighter, igzo?

Another year of waiting while my first generation crashes on every website with too much embedded video. Damn!

OMG. You are the person Samsung is making fun of in their commercial. Always about the "next big thing".

I too love to see Apple release new products, but am not obsessed about having the latest greatest update. I did however get iPad 1 on release date 2009, and it is still working fine. No, it can't run the latest OS, and I have no camera, but I can't be expected to throw down $500 every year just because they kept their tech current.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think there will be plenty of time for a class action suit. The way this thing heats up it wont last long.

What are you talking about? Are you aware of what silicon is capable of? It's not burning you, if it was that hot its definitely defective, but an iPad 3 is well within its thermal capabilities. It's not going to die of overheating.

Warmer than last model =/= too hot for functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.