Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pthurgood

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
As an Australian customer the inclusion of Australian LTE bands is very welcome. Very impressed with this update. :D

Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
This is CRAP TALK. The iPad 3 is now one generation closer to being obsoleted in terms of iOS upgradeability, which means it's that much closer to being outdated, period. Sure, it still "does what it did when we bought it," but so do lots of things that are outdated. That kind of talk is what blind fanboys say. This is not a good move by any means. This doesn't make me trust Apple any more than I ever have - I trust Apple less now because of this. Go ahead and buy the 4th gen iPad... see how you feel when it's replaced by the 5th gen in March, in FIVE MONTHS. Apple is on the verge of becoming exactly what they had made fun of in the past with Android - a company that starts rolling out new products too frequently.

I'll tell you what this does. It makes me think that next time I'm considering a new tablet, phone, etc, I need to reconsider my objection to Android and Windows devices. At least you know what you're getting into there. Apple hasn't typically stuck it to their buyers like this. Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

Tell me what was so great for the ipad 3 ios6 upgrade compared to ios5? Because I dont know many ppl who use camera(rear) or maps on an ipad. Whats the big deal if ios 7 is the last os for ipad. I bought my ipad 3 and its still great! Yeh microsoft and android have great upgrade paths.... Go do it!

nascimento

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Sorry for singling you out, because you're certainly not the only one who has made this moronic statement. But what, exactly happened today that made your wonderful, shiny, fantastic iPad 3rd Gen out of date? Are there apps it no longer loads? Is there an OS it won't run? Perhaps the screen got duller when Schiller walked out on stage? Is the multi-touch capability expired? Did the storage capacity suddenly cut in half? Or maybe it got a pound or so heavier? I know what it is. The retina display went back to SD. That's got to be it.

Its not nice that a rather expensive piece of kit is devalued by another before the expected life cycle is finished. Were not talking about inexpensive disposable toys.

Apple is known for making great products at a higher price but they have the cache that allows them to do so, what they cant do is fall into the trap of making things that are quickly outdated be it by other manufacturers be it by their own updates. This type of product recycling is not compatible with… quality, perceived quality and brand cache. The Japanese found this out the hard way in the 70/80s.

If they do fall for this trap they will eventually feel the repercussion from their customers. So yes I can understand how Ipad 3 users feel miffed and so can you if you think about it in a more rational way.

(I still say it was because of the battery problem rather than a refresh, and the connector of course)

Last edited:

LeoCastillo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll tell you what this does. It makes me think that next time I'm considering a new tablet, phone, etc, I need to reconsider my objection to Android and Windows devices. At least you know what you're getting into there. Apple hasn't typically stuck it to their buyers like this. Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

Ummm... Lumia and Windows Phone 8?

Leo

digitalfrog

Suspended
Nov 26, 2007
Am I the only retard still happy with the Ipad 1 ;-) ?
It still is a perfect complement to my Iphone and laptop ....

redboy33

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
iphone 5 nano sim in ipad mini with AT&T

Can anyone guess if an iPhone 5 nano sim from AT&T will work in an iPad mini AT&T version? I'm still grandfathered under the old unlimited plan, even with LTE.

QuickDraw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009

But but your iPad became completely uber obsolete and stopped in its existence with apple announcement yesterday :confused: empossable!!!

frisnit

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Scotland
Bit disappointing that it's so soon. As much as the speed update would be nice, it's not like the new iPad struggles with much so I can live with that. I use Facetime though, so would have loved the HD front camera!

Worse is that my mum bought one about a month or so ago and she uses hers a lot for Skype/Facetime so she would definitely have benefited. She'll probably not notice there's a new one out though ;)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Using US prices we have this:
(Iphone unlocked prices are no longer on the Apple Website)
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-unlocked-u-s-pricing-649-16gb-749-32gb-and-849-64gb/
I just realised. From $50 all the way to $850 Apple have every segment covered. Apart from the $50-$100 and $750-$800 price brackets. I'm a little surprised why Apple has nothing at $99 though. To me that's a very nice price point to take advantage of. The $750-$800 though is not really worth mentioning as people who want 64GB latest model iPad/iPhone will cough up the money. $50 won't make much of a difference to anyone.

$0-$50
iPod Shuffle 2GB

$50-100
Nothing

$100-$150
iPod Nano 16GB

$150-$200
iPod Touch 16GB (4th Gen)

$200-$250
iPod Classic
iPod Touch 32GB (4th Gen)

$250-$300
iPod Touch 32GB (5th Gen)

$300-$350
iPad Mini 16GB (WiFi only)

$350-$400
iPod Touch 64GB (5th Gen)
iPad 2 16 GB (WiFi only)

$400-$450
iPad Mini 32GB (Wifi only)
iPad Mini 16GB (WiFi + Cellular)

$450-$500
iPad 16GB (4th Gen) (WiFi only)
iPhone 4 (unlocked)

$500-$550
iPad Mini 64GB (WiFi only)
iPad 2 16GB (WiFi + Cellular)
iPhone 4S 16GB (unlocked)

$550-$600
iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi + Cellular)
iPad 32GB (4th Gen) (WiFi only)

$600-$650
iPad 16GB (4th Gen) (WiFi + Cellular)
iPhone 5 16GB (unlocked)

$650-$700
iPad Mini 64GB (WiFi + Cellular)
iPad 64GB (4th Gen) (WiFi only)

$700-$750
iPad 32GB (4th Gen) (WiFi + Cellular)
iPhone 5 32GB (unlocked)

$750-800
Nothing

$800-$850
iPad 64GB (4th Gen) (WiFi + Cellular)
iPhone 5 64 GB (unlocked)

Think of it like this and choosing the right iOS product for you just became very hard.
That's a total of 26 product options. Yikes. How is anyone meant to decide from that.

Last edited:

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I bought a Ipad 3 on launch day, I am surprised that Apple updated the Ipad so quickly this year but I am still happy with my Ipad and will not be upgrading to the new version will wait for the Ipad 5.

I really hope this is the last time they break their upgrade cycle as a lot of their customers upgrade every year and plan for it, I can't see people upgrading every 7 months. Mike look at a Ipad mini for my wife as she has always wanted a smaller version of the Ipad.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty happy with mine apart from the odd pang of smart cover envy! And the fact that Safari seems to crash from time to time.

I didn't fancy upgrading to the 2nd generation because it seemed much the same as mine. And I didn't fancy upgrading to the 3rd generation as each one I've held has been hot whereas my iPad is never even warm.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

I am a retard such as you!

My 1st gen is still great for a lot of things... and it's actually more useful now than when I got it because I no longer feel compelled to treat it like fine crystal (e.g., was using it to display diagrams while replacing the head light bulb in my wifes car -- just had it resting on the garage floor where I could quickly glance at it, as needed!)

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
How big of difference is the A5 chip to 6?

I feel like it was punched in the mouth with this update just got new iPad

I think you mean A5X (iPad 3) vs. A6X (iPad 4). The A6X is twice as fast as the already fast A5X. I'm thinking the iPad 4 is going to be a BEAST!

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I think you mean A5X (iPad 3) vs. A6X (iPad 4). The A6X is twice as fast as the already fast A5X. I'm thinking the iPad 4 is going to be a BEAST!
Yeah can't wait for the 2nd. And to think my Powermac G5 and iPad 1 were once the newest thing out.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Its not nice that a rather expensive piece of kit is devalued by another before the expected life cycle is finished. Were not talking about inexpensive disposable toys.

Apple is known for making great products at a higher price but they have the cache that allows them to do so, what they cant do is fall into the trap of making things that are quickly outdated be it by other manufacturers be it by their own updates. This type of product recycling is not compatible with… quality, perceived quality and brand cache. The Japanese found this out the hard way in the 70/80s.

If they do fall for this trap they will eventually feel the repercussion from their customers. So yes I can understand how Ipad 3 users feel miffed and so can you if you think about it in a more rational way.

(I still say it was because of the battery problem rather than a refresh, and the connector of course)

I did think bout it rationally. What difference does it make if my iPad 3rd generation is no longer the most advanced one on November 16 or April 10? Fact is, it's still a fantastic device. I have one, and I am not the least bit less happy with it because a new one was announced. Period.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I dont understand why people complain about updates...
This is technology, it changes, it gets faster, it does so constantly.

I personally feel that apple products are updated just often enough. If they have better technology at a similar cost, why not upgrade the products. To not do so would simply slow down the advancement of all products...

Finally, on the day you bought your iPad, you felt that the product you were receiving was at least as valuable to you as the dollar amount you handed over for it. How does a new one coming out today make any difference to that original value?

----------

I really hope this is the last time they break their upgrade cycle as a lot of their customers upgrade every year and plan for it, I can't see people upgrading every 7 months.

If you like to update every year, simply get on the 'every other' cycle. You cant seriously tell me that the difference between 12months and 14 months is that critical.

kslingo

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
My Letter to Phil Schiller

Mr. Schiller,

I am writing on behalf of all the iPad 3rd generation owners who felt betrayed yesterday. When you stood up on that stage back in march and introduced what you were calling "The New iPad" we all loved it and rushed out and bought one. Now yesterday not even 7 months after you introduced the 3rd generation, you introduce the 4th generation with the lightning connector, better processor, new Facetime HD Camera. My question is why would you do two new iPad's in one year? I just got my iPad back in July and now its not even 3 months old and there is already a newer version out. I just feel like the iPad 3 was a "beta" product, because as of yesterday the product no longer exists. The 4th Generation of iPad is what the iPad 3 should have been. I understand you have to deal with competition, but the iPad is the best tablet out there as of right now, and I really think if you did a silent update and just added the lightning connector, then you would have had less people complaining.

Thanks for listening,
Kyle Slingo
kyle.slingo@me.com

Sent from iCloud

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
iPad 3 specs list outrage

Guessing from the outrage from iPad 3 owners, there was an item on the specs sheet that said "comes with the satisfaction of owning the bestest shiniest apple product for a minimum of 12 months"

...hmm, nope, I just checked and its not there.

just go order the new one if its that important to you.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
Im lucky to be a bestbuy silver member so i get 60 days to return, so back goes the ipad 3 and i'll just get the ipad 4. The biggest selling point to me is the new chip which wipes the floor on the older model and now the face time camera is in HD which is something i wanted in the first place. It does suck to get new cables though but thats the price of getting new technology.

Movaiz

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
I bought the iPad 3 on day 1 and the news of th iPad 4 doesn't bother me. I don't understand the outrage, on the contrary I'm glad they updated it.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Im lucky to be a bestbuy silver member so i get 60 days to return, so back goes the ipad 3 and i'll just get the ipad 4. The biggest selling point to me is the new chip which wipes the floor on the older model and now the face time camera is in HD which is something i wanted in the first place. It does suck to get new cables though but thats the price of getting new technology.

u should wait till 59 days are up, then get the ipad4, their might be an ipad4s or 5 out before your next 60 days are up. ha.

----------

I bought the iPad 3 on day 1 and the news of th iPad 4 doesn't bother me. I don't understand the outrage, on the contrary I'm glad they updated it.

I think ppl that are upset are the ones that bought in the last 2-3 months, now they can get a "refurb" ipad 3 off apple.com for $380 I think it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.