Apple Announces iPad 4 Relaunch, Confirms 8 GB iPhone 5c Limited to Select Countries

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'm still puzzled as to why they decided to continue selling the 2 over the 4 anyway. Incredibly weird idea

2. KALLT macrumors 601

I think this is a good thing.

Apple has made come questionable decisions lately with respect to the product lineup. Both the iPads 3 and 4 were discontinued within a year, without any price drops like Apple used to do, whereas the iPad 2 was kept for three years, of which two years with the price tag of $399. Even though I understand the reasons for keeping the iPad 2, the price tag was simply unjustified for a product that old. As if Apple desperately tried to preserve the price level of the iPad at any cost, so that people get the latest and greatest. Apple should be better than that.

I wish Apple would keep the product lineup a bit more simple, like they used to do with the iPhone. Keep last year's product with a price drop and perhaps the product before that as an entry device. If I could have bought an iPhone 5 a couple of months ago, I would have done it. Since Apple decided to discontinue it, I switched to another platform. The iPhone 5S is just too expensive for my needs, the iPhone 5C too colourful (read: ugly) and the iPhone 4S too old.

3. Waughy macrumors regular

People were still buying the 2, and it seems they had plenty of parts to keep putting them together while they were still selling. I'd say the plan was always to reintroduce the 4th gen once they were done with the 2. Makes you wonder how long some of these 4's have been sitting around waiting to be put back into circulation.

4. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Because it was still selling well and the iPad 2 offered a higher profit margin than the 4 at the $399 price point.

----------

A lean company doesn't hold onto inventory for 6 months. You can bet the farm that they just recently fired up the presses to start spitting out the 4 again.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

did Apple actually discontinue the iPad 4 when the Air was released but continue selling the 2? It SEEMS like a miscalculation of sorts to then subsequently reintroduce the 4. Nothing crazy and certainly nothing to get torqued up over, but Apple used to be adept at timing the sunsetting of devices when new ones are released.

6. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Why a miscalculation? As the Air was released, it wouldn't make any sense to keep the 2 and the 4 at the same $399 price point. If the 2 was still selling so well, wouldn't you be more inclined to keep selling the 2 since your profit margin would undoubtedly be higher? With the plan that once sales of the 2 start to wane, the 4 could always be reintroduced at the same price point? I really have no idea if that was the plan all along or not but I find it humorous that so many armchair CEO's automatically label it as an Apple fumble or miscalculation.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Has Apple done this in the past?

Nobody is "automatically" labeling it a fumble of miscalculation. This conclusion was arrived at based on Apple's track record. And I didn't actually claim that it WAS a miscalculation, only that it seemed to be, appeared to be. Perhaps you find it humorous because you believe that Apple made the correct decision.

8. bniu macrumors 6502a

The problem I had with them continuing to sell the ipad 2 was that it stuck out like a sore thumb in that it was the only ipad to not have lighting, not have LTE, not have Siri, not have an iSight camera, not have airdrop, not have Bluetooth 4.0, not have a 1080p camera, and not be compatible with sprint/tmobile.

At least now the current line is more consistent except for the original mini not having a retina display. Perhaps ios 8 should make a clean break from any device that doesn't have Siri/LTE/dual core as the demarcation line and ios 9 should have 64bit as the demarcation line.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

That decision may have been long thought out by the higher ups so as to differentiate the product line i.e. low cost (non retina) vs current (retina). And we really can't say if the iPad 2 might have still been sold today? It very well could be that iOS 8 requires more ram which the iPad 2 lacks.

10. trrosen macrumors regular

Reasons

I'm betting they couldn't supply enough retina screens to pull it off then. Needing them for the Air.

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

OR the ipad 2 is painfully slow on iOS 7...but I forgot you're always right :rolleyes:

----------

Ur doing the same exact thing. U don't know why apple did it either. But again you're always right :D

12. superliu macrumors member

Wow sorry to upset you. I guess I didn't make it clear that I was being sarcastic. Of cause I am not buying it just because they re-launch the same product. I am sticking with my ipad2 until it breaks or no longer supported.

13. pureau macrumors newbie

Does that mean iPad 4 is the base iPad that will run iOS 8

I am very happy with my 6 month old refurbished iPad 3, it costed less and I wasn't ready to move to lightning. Does the reintroduction of the iPad 4 as the base iPad mean Apple will not be supporting iOS 8 on older models?

14. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

When did they say it was innovate? Where the **** do they say that. These types of comments really tick me of as Apple hasn't even mentioned the word innovative here.

----------

How the **** do you know what Apple has in the pipe line.
    They have different teams you know, unless you don't and then why post a comment like the one up top anyway?

----------

Sorry what? About time they stopped selling the iPad 2. Putting the iPad 4 at 399 instead of the 2 makes FAR more sense, they are hardly lost and this is cool for the consumer.

15. RebornProphet Suspended

I always believed they dropped the outgoing Retina model to ensure that only the best iPad on sale had a Retina display and to ensure that if people wanted Retina they paid top dollar. The cheaper iPad 2 without Retina display may have been enough to push people toward the iPad Air, I always seen it as Apple "upselling".

16. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

None of the reports have suggested this. The ipad 2 just sold really well and there is no reason for any business to stop selling a successful product.

17. Northgrove, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

Northgrove macrumors 65816

What??

The iPad Air was released just four months ago and you're complaining about a lack of focus on new products?

I don't even know what to say. What... What exactly is unbelievable, what release pace are you expecting? Where do you get the information that Apple is not focusing on designing the next iPad at this moment? Relaunching an already designed product hardly takes away team resources from the forthcoming model.

How does this comment make any sense? And how is Apple lost?

18. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I don't think it matters if Apple has done this in the past, I think it's pretty obvious that this was the plan from the minute they decided to keep the iPad 2 once the Air was released.

----------

Oh brother. I forgot we're not allowed to speak our opinions. I know I'm right about my own experience and that is that the iPad 2 is not "painfully slow" running iOS. It works just fine for what we use it for. Nothing can change that opinion because I actually use it. Sorry if that disagrees with your experience.

19. Jay6969 macrumors newbie

So many spec whores around, I nearly bought an ipad2 last week on the refurb store at £259.

I don't need the latest and greatest, all it needed to do was reload web pages while I designed them (auto reload with code kit). Maybe a bit of use by my wife and kids, why would I spend £400 for this?

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I see the Air continually on sale at BB so usually retailers have to price match. That said, who would buy a 4 with only a small outlay to get the Air?

And where are all of these 4s coming from?

21. Sy7ygy macrumors 6502

Having a iPad 4 as the lower tier iPad is OK.

What is not OK, is discontinuing a product, selling twice generation old product then reintroducing the superior product at the SAME PRICE.

Not quite sure what is going on here..

22. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

they deserve it

23. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

Don't know if this has been covered by the discussion, but iPad 2 is still the fastest iPad at 9x original iPad speed. iPad Air was boldfacedly billed as 8x, and the tech press, ever willing to please Apple ignored this and ploughed on with Apple's PR line.

NOT driving a Retina display is the reason iPad 2 is fastest, and while there's been a lot of improvements since, I was not surprised iPad 2 was still available for utilitarian uses—POS, business, even education.

iPad Air is beautiful engineering—the weight, Retina display, M7, cameras and so on—and I wouldn't recommend anything else to a new buyer (unless they wanted to wait a year for more RAM, Air is embarrassingly short on RAM), but the fact remains, iPad 2 was a more than ample product, albeit at too high a price for the age of the technology…

Once again, the 4th Generation iPad becomes a slap in the face of trusting Apple customers. You almost get the feeling, it got another life because so few 3rd Gen owners were delighted to upgrade, after being sold a product with a 6 month product life.

On what planet would a company do that again, much less, with the same (uninspired) model iPad?? You just have to shake your head at Apple sometimes. Calling planet earth. Bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop

24. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The iPad 2 is not the fastest. Check your facts.

25. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797