Apple Announces iPad 4 Relaunch, Confirms 8 GB iPhone 5c Limited to Select Countries

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2014.

1. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

No. iPad 2 support must be ended now. It's time for these consumers to buy into the new products if they want the best of Apple iOS enhancements and technologies. The longer they continue to support obsolete technology the more entitled consumers will feel in the future to free updates.

2. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

So clueless.

Education & bulk buyers get older equipment that is cheaper to produce at a discount, which they often then turn back into more volume. It's a sound biz strategy.

I swear some of you live in a world where Apple hasnt been doing this for decades. they know what theyre doing, which is why theyre the most successful tech firm in history. duh.

----------

more nonsense. Jobs was a major champion for education accounts. learn your history.

3. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

The biggest news about this to me is that the resale value of the iPad 4 will rise once again now that it's not discontinued anymore. I will be trading mine in soon, probably for the updated 2014 Air, so I should get a nice price for my 64GB cellular :)

4. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

why? their product continues to do exactly what it did when they bought it.

by your logic, nobody should ever change their prices or products for fear of upsetting past customers....we'd be stuck were that the case. it would be awful.

----------

how do yo know its a distraction? do you think the same people are working on it -- is Ive being pulled off design to work on educational deals or ipad4 sales? nope. it's an existing line managed by different people.

----------

says you. $100 off is a major savings to budget minded consumers, especially educational orgs or biz where its being used as a kiosk/POS.

says you. apple prices based on what they want, not what you want. and theyve been rewarded w/ amazing sales -- the best in the business. let that sink in -- apple takes home the lion's share of profit in mobile computing. they suck up all the profit, because people want to buy them.

what makes you think you know better than the proven-success stories at apple HQ? hint: you dont.

----------

i think apple execs, running the most successful, profitable tech firm in the history of mankind, are sleeping OK at nite.

----------

nothing is ever good enough for you armchair executives. it's pathetic. i only take solace in knowing that youre probably still in school...

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Even if we ignore the fact that the iPad mini was really just a mini iPad 2, Apple was still selling it up until now. They aren't going to screw customers who just bought the device.

Apple probably realised this, thus why they brought back the iPad 4. If they had waited until october 2014 to get rid of the iPad 2, the iPad 2 would automatically get iOS 9.

6. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

They must have been trying to move a ton of extra iPad 3 stock or something?

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i think the only reason they did this is bc the iPad 2 performs very poorly on iOS 7. My parents had ios 5 something installed as they don't do updates and i installed iOS 7.1 and it absolutely crippled the machine. everything lags and freezes.

8. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

iOS 7.1 runs just fine on my iPad 2.

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i know several people that the device just crawls now. same with iPhone 4. Is it usable? sure...but it's terribly slow

10. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I was countering your assertion that it "cripples" the device. Is my iPad 2 slower than my Air? Absolutely. I probably won't put iOS 8 on it but it should be useable for a few years more. I bought it in 2011 so if I get a good 5 years of use out of it then should I really expect more?

11. peteullo macrumors regular

I'll definitely buy a few of these for my store front when Walmart drops the price to $299. :D

12. admob71 Suspended

admob71

Anyone who shelled out 400 bucks for an iPad 2 recently wants their heads examining..

13. iRalph macrumors member

I still believe $399 is way to expensive for an iPad 4 but its still more fair than selling an iPad 2 for the same price.

14. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

It's bewildering that commenters on a message board think they know what Apple should be doing. :confused:

15. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Keeping the old iPad2 on sale was the mistake (Apple being cheap IMHO). Offering the ipad 4 for reduced pricing is what they should have done in the first place. I think it is great. Not sure what people are complaining about (unless they were dumb enough to spend $399 on an ipad2 in 2013-14)

16. wizard macrumors 68040

That is what the article says!

17. wizard macrumors 68040

The other thing this does is prepare the market for upgrades to the higher end products. Apple generally follows a pattern here bumping products at the low end prior to updates to the high end products. In this case the $399 price point becomes a far better value and likely will remain a very good value until the AIRs and Minis update.

Frankly I think many have gone off the deep end criticizing this move. It is a move that has little impact on people buying newer hardware. The only real question here is why it took Apple so long and maybe why they are resisting bumping flash in these machines.

----------

It is a real market with significant sales, iPad 2 continued to sell well. Instead of thinking about this Inge negative way you do, think about it as servicing this market segment with out expending a huge amount of effort. It is pretty smart actually because real engineering effort and so forth can go into the next Air, and Mini rev.

18. eldo33 macrumors regular

Because ONLY APPLE can re-introduce an older model into the line up again after it was discontinue months ago.

if it was Android platform, people will be screaming louder and not buy the product.

this means ipad 2 prob isn't selling well any longer... thank goodness cuz to me it doesn't make sense to buy $400 old old tech when a new one is just another $100.

very innovative in fact cuz they got the balls to try this out.....hope they fail though cuz it's crapp

19. Smartass macrumors 6502a

Because, in todays tech-world you just CANT reintroduce old products. Either you keep it for some time or you put it away. You cant come to the stage 1 year after you ditched a product and say "Oh we're putting it back on the shelves since we dont have any other good product to put it in place of the current model". In this day, when the competition is more or less infront of apple, they just cant come out with a idiotic idea like that. They could've done that 3 or even 2 years back when there really wasnt any good competition on the tablet market, but definatelly not today. Not when the world's eyes are always pointed at you and waiting for you to introduce a revolutionary new product.
    Bascially it looks like apple didnt find the product good enough to keep it in stores but now they just instantly changed their minds. This is not acceptable for a company like Apple.

20. emulator macrumors 6502

emulator

21. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

You're assuming way more than you should. How do you know it wasn't Apple's intention all along to replace the iPad 2 with the 4 once sales started to wane on the 2? And why can't Apple reintroduce the 4? Just because you say so? Sales of the iPad 2 were still strong when the Air was introduced that Apple didn't feel the need to discontinue it just yet. And it would've been confusing and would've made zero sense to keep both the iPad 2 and the iPad 4 in the line-up, along with the Air, especially at the same $399 price point. Apple was thinking like a company trying to maximize profits. They made the right choice.

22. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

23. Smartass macrumors 6502a

Oh come on, stop living in a lie. You know well that what apple is doing is just sad. Embrace the reality.

24. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

more nonsense. Jobs was a major champion for education accounts. learn your history.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with you. Schools are getting a much better deal now. Also recall the 13" MBA with 64gb SSD for education markets?

25. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

It's befuddling how so many people--that are probably just barely out of high school--seem to know so much more than highly paid, highly educated and highly experienced executives that just so happen to run the most valuable publicly traded company the world has ever known. But you're right, I should take your word for it. :rolleyes: