Apple Announces LivePhotosKit API for Embedding Live Photos in Websites

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced the launch of a new LivePhotosKit JavaScript-based API that's designed to make it easy to embed Live Photos taken with Apple's latest iPhones into websites.

[​IMG]
    Introduced alongside the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus in 2015, Live Photos are designed to add life and vitality to the standard still photo by adding a bit of motion. A Live Photo captures an extra 1.5 seconds of movement before and after a shot, animating an image with movement and sound.

Live Photos can be captured using the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, SE, 7, and 7 Plus, and can be viewed on all devices running iOS 9, OS X El Capitan, and watchOS 2 or later.

Though Live Photos have been around since 2015, few social networks support them, and there have been limited ways for non-Apple users to view them. The addition of a LivePhotosKit API may help make Live Photos more popular.

Article Link: Apple Announces LivePhotosKit API for Embedding Live Photos in Websites

2. Sefstah Suspended

Live photos, probably the most gimmick of an iPhone feature ever.

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Nice that they finally did an API of their own.

5. konqerror macrumors 6502

How else will you be able to see the ground or people's feet in scenic locations?

6. jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

My girlfriend took photos of her newborn nephew and was showing them off to family members and they were adoring the photos. Then she 3D Touched one photo and the baby boy came to "life" with sounds of him babbling and someone actually wowed and said that was amazing.

I couldn't have rolled my eyes any harder. I told my girlfriend she can keep 3D Touch and Live Photos, I'll stick to my superior OLED display.

7. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

For the most part, but you gotta love the way they turn out with pet photos

8. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Glorified GIFs.

inb4; mwawaha imbedded .movs superior mwah

9. jasonklee, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

Another one: My father passed away last summer and recently I visited my brother and we got to talking about our old man and how much I missed him and I still have dreams of him and I wake up feeling sad. My brother showed me a photo he took of him shortly before he died, on the sofa, looking out the window. Then my brother 3D Touched it and in the Live Photo my father turns, notices the camera, and waves and smiles.

I looked up at my brother and sighed and told him what a gimmick Live Photos are and how Apple needs to think of better uses of their technology.

10. surfingarbo macrumors regular

surfingarbo

I beg to differ. I once accidentally sneezed whilst taking a selfie. That Live Photo made my evening! :)

11. nrose101 macrumors regular

nrose101

All I see are negative comments about live photos. Guess what you don't like them. DONT USE THEM. I personally love the feature!

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its mostly a gimmick, with really no actual usage. The only time my wife uses live photos is because she accidently turned it on :)

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

So a family member had a better experience due to the technology, but you rolled your eyes and said some display hardware was better ... I see.

14. jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

Well, I don't get it. I think it's pretentious that Apple tries to "humanize" technology. Like health and activity tracking. I question the pragmatic usefulness. What's the point of Live Photos? My brother and my girlfriend have a bunch of them. By far the dumbest photo is one where my dad is craddling my infant son, but in the Live Photo it shows my dad humming a lullaby to my him. Disgusting sentimental crap and not to mention, completely useless.

My girlfriend's father also passed around the same time as my father from the same cancer, and she has a Live Photo of her dad playing the guitar as her wallpaper and once in a while she'll 3D Touch the Lock screen to play the wallpaper. How is this USEFUL technology? A show of hands will reveal that most people find Live Photos are, indeed, a gimmick.

A REAL file system, a live weather widget, and a bigger battery are all way more important innovations than Live Photos.

15. nrose101 macrumors regular

nrose101

I am hoping that is all sarcasm. Personally, I would love to see a video of a love that one passed away than a still picture If it wasn't sarcasm I guess you are just a cold hearted individual.

BTW I could care less about a Live weather widget. You have eyes go look outside.

16. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Something doesn't have to be "functionally useful" to not be a gimmick, that seems an odd, and limiting definition[?] Is music a gimmick?

Anyway, that photo she saved of her Dad sounds pretty special, and it sounds like the little extra experience she gets from the movement was worth it.

Technical side note: iOS does have a "real filesystem", in fact, it just got "more real" with the release of APFS :D (I guess you're trying to suggest user access to it)

I dig on them too, it's a "free" extra little engagement with the photo. I can't count the times some photo of our little G was made a bit better seeing the lead up to the static image (where I wasn't prepared to shoot video).

I guess YMMV (see above :D)

17. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

The sarcasm is strong with this one. (Or at least I think it is)

Personally I think Live Photos are great.

18. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

That is the ultimate goal.

Ok...

To "humanize" technology.

There is example 1 from your own post of its pragmatic usefulness.
    (Your sounds like a wonderful brother/son)

There is example 2 from your own post of its pragmatic usefulness.
    (Your girlfriend sounds like a lucky woman)

See your own post. Above.

Hrm. Because out of the 3 (you, brother, girlfriend) people in your story, 2/3 (brother/girlfriend) have found Live Photos **extremely** useful. 66%. How is that for "pragmatism"???

Would a "real' file system sell more phones? Nope.
    Would a "live" weather widget sell more phones? Nope.
    Would a "bigger battery" sell more phones? Probably not.

19. Sefstah Suspended

Sounds like your brother took a video like every other camera can do. Not a "live photo" that's exclusive to idevices.

20. hagar macrumors 6502

I think Live Photos are great but as with many things Apple makes, the execution is too limited. They could have done more with it in 2 years.

Just like they didn't take Airplay, 3D Touch or Siri to the next level. It happens over and over: they introduce something intriguing but not quite there yet. And then they let it linger.

21. btrach144 macrumors 6502a

btrach144

I'm shocked at how many people think live photos are worthless.

My child is constantly on the move, and live photos helps to capture how active she is. Considering our family members live far away, this neat feature helps to bring the pictures to life.

To each their own :)

22. jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

Exactly. It's not a static photograph of a baby frozen in time that suddenly comes to life that animates with the look and feeling of a memory. What's the point of that? Live Photos and good ol' videos are aesthetically and qualitatively and emotionally the same thing.

23. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Just came back from a vacation, and I must say that the convenience of Live Photos captures the beautiful still scenery and bustle of the city better than a lot of photos and cutting up videos. I also don't have to time photos for specific elements, because I know they'll be captured in the extra few seconds I'm given, rather than 1/16th of a second.

Initially I was also quite sceptical, especially since the feature was quite beta. But with updated frame rate and photo edits that carry over in the video segment, it's a genuinely useful feature now.

24. btrach144 macrumors 6502a

btrach144

Airplay was originally announced to be an open source technology. Apple quickly became silent on it though and like you said, they let it linger.

I had hopes of being able to officially airplay my PCs to my Apple TV.

25. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68020

OldSchoolMacGuy

GIFs are very low quality and never meant for photos. They have a very limited color profile and look like trash in most cases.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2017 ---
    Facetime was build on open standards and Apple was going to open it up to others. It sure would be nice if I could FaceTime with those that don't have iPhones also.