Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
The eMac of iPads.

The iPad Mini confirms for me that the iPad Air should've just been the base iPad and this should have been the "iPad SE" model.

Instead Apple just keeps adding convoluted and unnecessary suffixes to their product names.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Somehow it works with the old pencil? And it still has the touch id button. Interesting.
This iPad is intended to fit into existing iPad use cases. So cases, fixtures, docks, charging carts, keyboards... schools have now will all fit this new iPad. Because all those accessories are a big cost. Also because these are meant for kids, and keeping track of replacements is easier this way.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
Personally, I'd skip this iPad and pay an additional $50 for a refurbished 10.5 Pro instead.

Adelphos33

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I have this iPad and upgrade every year. It is basically a portable video conferencing / news / entertainment device that is behind my MacBook and iPad Pro 12.9 inch.

1) Still includes charger and cable in the box - $30-$40 value every year
2) Apple gives you $240 for the previous year’s version
3) I may be able to get by with 64GB
4) Black borders on the silver model - been waiting for this
5) Works with existing keyboard and cases

Think this may be a buy for me, need to confirm my storage usage.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Notice how they never show the Apple Pencil 1st Gen charging in their marketing pictures.....
Its criminal that they are still shipping any product that uses that garbage design.

Reactions: agoodpub

sgreen314

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
I noticed that as well when I was about to purchase, went back and double-checked the video!

However, some google results from some previous years seems to show the $299 is only for qualifying educators buying specifically for their schools. The rest of us (students), get the $309 price. Seems like what is going on this year again.

So they announced that Education purchase price would be $299, but site is still showing only $20 discount like last years model. Site update error?

Last edited:

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Because, said no one ever, "Quick honey, grab the bulbous iPad and take a picture of the baby's first steps instead of using your phone that has a camera 3000X better that is easier and faster to use!"

It's all about the Zoom Zoom Zoom
Exactly. For the least expensive model they are wisely choosing to upgrade the things that will have the most impact on peoples buying decisions.

Warped9

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Decent power and storage bump and staying at the same starting price. That will sell well. Price up for the 256 model, but it’s a good upgrade in storage if you really need that.

Nice that existing cases will still fit. Simplifying the colour choice with black bezels no matter which likely keeps production costs simpler.

Makes me wonder if the 10th generation iPad will be a major redesign.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
Really happy that the bezels are still there. It helps keeping my fingers of the screen when they shouldn’t be there,

I really hope they upped the RAM to at least 4GB, but preferably 6GB. The 3GB in the previous iPad definitely isn’t good enough these days.

Unfortunately there is no 128GB model. 64 GB will be hard at the end of my cycle, but 256 is way too much and not worth it.

I get it Apple preferably sells more expansive stuff, but no way I’m buying an iPad Air or Pro, when I‘m not using 95% of the benefits.

Reactions: Homme

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
It's funny, but I use my iPad every day for reading email, surfing the web, watching videos when I'm on the treadmill, listening to music via headphones, and reading ebooks -- and my 2017 basic iPad with 128 GB is still good enough for me. Although I'd certainly enjoy a 12.9" iPad Pro, I don't see how it would improve my user experience enough to justify the substantial extra cost. I think it's because I do all my serious work on my 2019 27" iMac and my 2015 13" MacBook Pro. I've always found typing on an iPad or iPhone to be a frustrating experience. My iPad is starting to feel a bit slow, though, so I'll probably upgrade next year. Since 128 GB isn't offered for either the regular iPad or the Air, it will have to be 256 GB. Whether the latter is worth $749 vs. $479 is something I'll need to decide.

Reactions: MhaelK

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Was really hoping this was the year to get rid of the "gap" and I'd be able to buy an iPad for general use. Not spending for the mini or air just to surf the web from my couch or use for HomeKit and security cameras. Maybe next year :/

mrmax86

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2021
Lafayette, IN
Went into this event expecting to buy my kids the new iPad Mini. Came out of it laughing, and pivoting to wanting to buy them this now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.