Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
It’s not an apple service. I am curious if Apple will negotiate with providers or makes the users subscribe directly with providers.
Why would you think it's not an Apple service? They created it, financed the network infrastructure buildout, and run the backend to their operation centers.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I wonder how they’ll fit a ”Apple saved me when my car broke down” into next year‘s keynote without it seeming silly in comparison to the ones who almost died.
Say your car breaks down with your small kids in the car in 100+ degree heat and no cell service. That’s an emergency.

Reactions: redbeard331

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Well considering that the US is 27,723% larger than Switzerland that really isn't surprising that you don't understand how much area we have to cover.
Well said. You could fit 16 Switzerlands inside of Texas alone. It would rank...42nd largest against US States.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
Well said. You could fit 16 Switzerlands inside of Texas alone. It would rank...42nd largest against US States.
Indeed, even my comparatively small Virginia is 2.5 Switzerlands, although their highest mountain is about 2.5x taller than the highest one in Virginia.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
The only time I didn't have cellular connection in the past 10 years happened in the US. Sorry, it just doesn't happen in Europe, at least not on roads. Here in Switzerland where I live, not even on mountain peaks.
I really hate how people in Europe laugh at Americans for not having passports or knowing geography but then say things like this. The US is more or less 50 seperate but very similar countries. Of course Switzerland has better coverage...not much to cover.

And I'm sure there are areas of Europe with poor service, no service or just unreliable service. Russia is part of Europee (at least in part we can debate what part of it is Asia) and I promise there are sections there that probably have horrific service. Some countries will have 3G or LTE but it will be so slow as to render it useless.....

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
This is great for those of us on AT$T for those times you’re in the middle of a huge city and have zero reception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.