Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Announces Original TV Streaming Service 'Apple TV+'

R3k

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
You must be dreaming if you think think these creators haven't been given access to special and/or pre-release Apple hardware surrounded by a bunch of NDA's!

Definitely not. The entertainment industry is not locked down tight enough for this to happen, NDA's or no.

Comment

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's not that they aren't smart - the leadership just comes across as racist to me. International operations go badly because in my opinion, the leadership refuses to deal with the "old world" as it looks like they believe we're backward here. That seems to have had a long tradition, going way back to Steve Jobs who openly admitted that he hated Europe. Until he went to Switzerland for cancer treatment of course - then we were apparently not so backward anymore.
Apple haven’t said that the TV service isn’t coming to Europe at launch. In fact they said it would be available in 100 countries worldwide. The details are so scant that we will have to wait and see where it launches.

Apple Pay was launched in the US at the end of 2014 and launched in the UK in July 2015. That’s not years.

The ECG feature on the Apple was available in many European countries less than 6 months after it launched in the US.

Of course Apple would like to launch everything in as many countries as possible because they can make more money.

Last edited:
Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think 2/3 of the iPhones profit comes from the international market like the rest of their services and other products while only 1/3 of the profit comes from the USA. So yeah, if Apple where to be smart they would have launch everything worldwide. For Example it took Apple Pay several years to expand outside the USA to more than 10 countries. This is unacceptable.

My understanding of the delays is that it takes time for Apple to negotiate deals in these countries so as to get more favourable terms.

For example, their news service isn't just some RSS feed app. Apple is actually hiring journalists to curate the news for you, which entails more manpower and resources. So the challenge could simply be scaling the service to cover more countries around the world, because you would basically have to replicate the same process in every country you enter. It's not like software where you simply need to code it only once.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.