Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kangyula

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2024
I'm disappointed by the combination of the non-detachable keyboard part and the ipad pro going thin and keeping the camera bump. This means if you take the ipad from the keyboard to write, you won't have stability without carrying around an additional back cover. That camera bump is an unnecessary plague.

sdhalpern

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Washington, DC
Does anyone know if the Magic Keyboard for the 5th generation (mini-LED M1) iPad Pro 12.9” will work with the new 13” M4 pro? The dimensions are almost identical length and width wise. 0.04” and .02” difference.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Try converting these prices to Canadian… that's $479 for the 13-inch keyboard.

Sorry Tim, no sale.

I know, that is so insane! I wanted to check if it was compatible with my 11" M1 iPad Pro, well firstly thank god it isnt and anyone buying it for that price, I am happy that you make that much disposable income in this Canadian economy!

Reactions: TVreporter

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
What a compatibility mess!
Also, I understand the old keyboard folio will be discontinued, although it was a useful, cheaper solution, that was also making it easier to move from pen-tablet mode to keyboard-tablet mode.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
In terms of price: MacBook Air 512GB + iPad = iPad Pro 512GB + new MKB

I'd say for 90+% of people the left side of the equation is a no brainer better value.

Even better, just take away the iPad from the left side. You can add additional memory and a Wacom tablet to the Macbook Air and you'll still come out ahead in terms of cost.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's always struck me as odd why they don't just put in a kickstand. People complain about the extra, what maybe 2mm, but will stick this monstrosity on there. It doesn't look that bad, but it does make me pine for an iPad with a full OS on it instead of iPadOS. This would be a pretty incredible device with MacOS.

myawn

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Marietta, GA
Does anyone know if you can fold this back to read the iPad like a book/lie flat on a table or does this only work to open the iPad laptop-style?

This is my biggest irritant with the Magic Keyboard - it’s awkward to use in portrait orientation unless you just ditch the case/keyboard altogether. So the keyboard ends up staying on my desk while I carry the IPad around, making me feel like perhaps I need to invest in a second case for protection. What a ridiculous setup. Even though my current iPad is only about a year old I would have considered an upgrade if they’d fixed that.

Geekett

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
I’m only interested by the new mat oled screen and new Magic Keyboard but altogether since Apple forces consumer to upgrade to 1 to model to get the nano textured glass, it’s a big NO ! Way TOO EXPENSIVE !

Actually I even wonder if this is legal in my country, in France forcing consumer to upgrade to get a product is prohibited

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
A $300 iPad keyboard?

My goodness

Crazy town
A VERY clean, aluminum, magnetic, great-looking and (possibly) feeling backlit keyboard AND trackpad (I've yet to try it out, so I cannot say with certainty).

Yes, it IS expensive, but whether it's worth it is up to you.

I have the old one for my M1 iPad 12.9", and it was worth EVERY penny.

And I am ENVIOUS of this new one. It looks to be better in every way.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Way past MBA,, it’s in MBP territory. iPad Air is now the old iPad Pro.
Comparing the cost of a pickup truck with that of a sedan is not useful without context.

For me, a pickup truck is useless and a waste of gas, as I ain't haulin' a damn thing.

The iPad and a Mac are FUNDAMENTALLY different devices, with some overlap in capability, and serious barriers in others (like, for example, Pencil use).

roblognick

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
United Kingdom
And still the awful version of the Magic Keyboard for the new iPad Air models. I shall be getting the Logitech Combo Touch for the new iPad Air 13” I’ve just bought.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
No battery in the keyboard, a touchbad that seems redundant, and still no place to put a pencil that's secure. And I'm not sure how I'd draw on it.

I ordered one, and also one of the logitechs that are on the apple store. Will see which one I keep. I wish Zagg had their keyboards out.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, BUT - in Apple's so-called 'post PC' world, can this keyboard /iPad combo actually be used as a laptop? ie work well on one's lap? The earlier models are hopless, have poor balance and just fall over.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Can someone explain why there was so much hype around this keyboard when in reality, what was announced today was just a small tweak to what came before it? I don't understand.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is my biggest irritant with the Magic Keyboard - it’s awkward to use in portrait orientation unless you just ditch the case/keyboard altogether. So the keyboard ends up staying on my desk while I carry the IPad around, making me feel like perhaps I need to invest in a second case for protection. What a ridiculous setup. Even though my current iPad is only about a year old I would have considered an upgrade if they’d fixed that.
The Logitech Combo Touch is better suited for that.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Try converting these prices to Canadian… that's $479 for the 13-inch keyboard.

Sorry Tim, no sale.
I don't get it. Are there imported products you are thinking of which sell for the same number of US and Canadian dollars, despite the Canadian dollar being substantially weaker? That sounds pretty altruistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.