Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perfectsound

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
Still no love for international people. I live in Sweden and we don't even have TV-shows on iTunes. Why Apple, why?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Come on, Apple, this is silly. HD is about uncompromised high quality. Squashing a movie into 3gb - as great as AVC/H.264 is - is a bad plan.

It's about time Apple, the ultimate computer hardware/software provider, embraced Blu-ray Disc, the ultimate home AV format, instead of providing "HD lite" downloads.

+1

Imagine how long it would take to download a movie that equals Blu-ray quality? Blu-ray is here to stay not only because it offers great picture and audio, but because Blu-ray players are designed to be backwards compatible with DVD and CD. Many people have a large DVD collection and they can still play that collection and start collecting and renting Blu-ray.

I think we can all agree that Apple doesn't like Blu-ray, but that is only because they are being stubborn and see it as a threat to their little fake HD Apple TV thingy. Let me know when the Apple TV can play movies at the same bit-rate as Blu-ray and they offer advanced audio formats.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
What I would love is for Apple to create some type of subscription model with both movies and TV shows, a "Download all of the new episodes of your favorite 10 TV series in HD for $14.99/month" or "Five movies in HD per month at $9.99."

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
Finally!!!

YES!!! Thank you so much Apple for making my switch to completely digital format even better and more flawless!! Now I can get HD downloads and thus nixing the need for Blu-ray in my house forever. Not that I had it or would ever purchase it anyway...:apple::apple::cool:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
that's practically the price of a bluray...

... Why would you pay for a hi-def download when you could get a better quality DVD?

You mean "...a better quality BluRay disc".

Apple is hoping because you want it NOW and would rather not make a trip to the store or wait for amazon.com to send you the disc in the mail.

I'm sure the other reason for selling 720 is so they can later re-sell the same movie to you in 1080.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
What I would love is for Apple to create some type of subscription model with both movies and TV shows, a "Download all of the new episodes of your favorite 10 TV series in HD for $14.99/month" or "Five movies in HD per month at $9.99."

Right now I have a 2 at a time plan from Netflix. I pay $14.99 a month. I usually watch about 8-10 Blu-rays or DVDs a month. I also use their free streaming service to watch a few things.

If I was renting from Apple I would be paying more like $50+ a month. Not to mention that Netflix has an AWESOME selection.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
If only apple will embrace a subscription model, is it apple stubbornness or is it the movie companies grabbing them by the delicates and dictating policy

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
a subscription plan would be great - but man... i will need to up my hard drive space if i plan to store these movies haha... 142MB for 2 minutes... that's about 11Gigs per movie.

but HD looks FANTASTIC on my UMB :)

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
Well if the HD TV shows are anything to go by there really isn't much of a noticeable difference between that and a standard DVD rip. Apple TV needs updating to make the download quality significant. Plus who wants to deal with a second layer of DRM in the HDCP restrictions that are sure to follow?

birch25

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2005
that's practically the price of a bluray...

... Why would you pay for a hi-def download when you could get a better quality DVD?

I don't know where you're getting Blurays for $20. Most new movies are $30.

I do agree that it's a bit much to spend $20 on a digital movie. The $5 rentals are definitely intriguing to me though :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think many people here know that 720 is "good enough" for a smaller flat screen TV viewed from 10 or 12 feet distance. But when you BUY a movie you know that you will own it for many years and most people have plans or hope to upgrade their TV at some point.

If you are renting 720 vs. 1080 might not matters (it depends on your TV set) but when you BUY it does matter because you have to think ahead.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Both.

Blu-ray will be the format on which Super Hi-Vision is distributed, as 400GB and 1TB disks will be going into production within the next few years.

There is no possible way that U.S. broadband infrastructure would be able to keep up with Super Hi-Vision filesizes, so around 2015, when 1080p downloads become feasible for everyone, Super Hi-Vision movies will start to be released on Blu-ray disks.

Apple will either have to have Blu-ray support at this time or... just keep ignoring it.

You add a lot to these forums, but you're way off base on these Super-Hi Vision claims. 2015? Maybe 2020, and even that's a stretch. People don't have the disposable income to keep upgrading their equipment every 5 years. Super Hi Vision may become available, but it won't be as far along in 5 years as Blu Ray is now. 1080P will be the standard for many years to come.

Apple's HD quality is akin to their iTunes Plus music quality, 256 is good enough for many people, but true enthusiasts won't be happy until it's lossless.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
1080p over the internet is not ready yet, bandwidth isn't there. A couple more years and maybe we will get it. Want 1080p? Get a PS3 and rent at Blockbuster.

720p is more than enough on anything less than 50''.

But I have a 118" screen and a 1080p projector and I sit 12' away. I guess this is not for me ;)

Bluray all the way for me.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Apple's HD quality is akin to their iTunes Plus music quality, 256 is good enough for many people, but true enthusiasts won't be happy until it's lossless.

I actually buy all of my music on iTunes, but when it comes to movies I prefer DVD and Blu-ray. I didn't spend $1,200 on a TV and $1,500 on speakers and a Dolby True HD/DTS HD MA audio receiver to watch movies in 720p with DD 5.1.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I don't know where you're getting Blurays for $20. Most new movies are $30.

I do agree that it's a bit much to spend $20 on a digital movie. The $5 rentals are definitely intriguing to me though :D

Go to Amazon.com. I didn't see any BD movies for $30 in their top 25. The most I saw was $27, and that was only one. They run sales all the time, and most of their BD new releases are between $23 and $26. The Dark Knight is still $24, and you don't get some compressed 720p version without a single special feature.

To the person who made some mention of having an "all digital" setup without Blu-ray: Dude, Blu-ray is a digital format. There are a crapload of 0s and 1s on those discs, which is what digital is.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Suggestion to Macrumors: If you'd like to keep your members from dying away with heart attacks, perhaps you could mention if new developments are US-only as this one is! Thanks!! ;)

rented mule

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
Here we go I'm curious to see the quality…

Wow...here in Canada, canadians enjoy getting their anus filled with the warm penis of ISP's bandwidth caps.

For example and hypothetically speaking, at 5 gigs a movie, Videotron's 50 dollar highspeed internet package will only let you download 4 HD:SD movies before you bust the monthly cap. With Rogers, you'll bust it with 12. Again, this is all hypothetical considering HD:SD movies aren't available in Canada yet...and probably shouldn't because ISPs here would simply get a bigger hard-on and tear their customers' asses.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Five minutes of research into Super Hi-Vision would show that I am completely on the right track.

You're kidding right? Super Hi-Vision is much bigger than going to the cinema. Do you have an IMAX theater in your house? The only future I can see with Super Hi-Vision is with specialized effects work. Sure it's cool technology, but it just isn't practical.

In fact, I don't see screen sizes and resolutions getting that much higher than what it is now. (2k might have a future, though)

Now if we were talking HDR screens, that would be a different matter entirely. The future is going to make the movies more realistic, not bigger.

P-Worm

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Netflix IS great!

and i'd love to be able to instead of having to go out and BUY a blueray player and then go and rent/buy a blueray disc at a ridiculous price - to be able to setup a download on thursday night before bed and watch it with my girlfriend after work on friday.

convenience running on your own hardware is great.

however blueray WILL drop just as DVD did. i just don't think Apple enabling these beautiful videos via download will help blueray's popularity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.