Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled the second-generation Apple Watch SE, featuring the S8 chip, Crash Detection, and new color options at a lower $249 price point.

apple-watch-se-2.jpg

The second-generation Apple Watch SE offers the core Apple Watch experience at a more affordable price. The Apple Watch SE is now 20 percent faster thanks to the S8 chip, the same chip from the Apple Watch Series 8 and Apple Watch Ultra. The S8 chip allows the Apple Watch SE to deliver Crash Detection, international roaming, and Low Power Mode.

The back case has been redesigned with a new, color-matched nylon composite material to reduce its weight. The second-generation Apple Watch SE is available in a refreshed series of color options, including Midnight, Starlight, and Silver.

apple-watch-se-nylon-composite-back.jpg

The second-generation Apple Watch SE starts at $249 for the GPS model and $299 for the cellular model. Orders open today and it will become available on September 16.

The second-generation Apple Watch SE follows the now-discontinued first-generation model released in September 2020, which started at $279.

Article Link: Apple Announces Second-Generation Apple Watch SE With S8 Chip and Crash Detection for $249

Last edited:

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
So back to a composite back from ceramic. That's disappointing. My S0's composite back became scuffed over time just from going on the charger.

Reactions: JM and Regbial

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
so the big differential with the series 8 is still the always on display
Is that the main difference? What about the screen size? Series 6 and earlier have huge bezels, while Series 7 have much slimmer bezels. What about the new SE? A bit annoying that the screenshots only have black background, makes it impossible to see the bezels.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jmausmuc

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
I want to buy my wife an Apple Watch today, and I'm trying to figure out the differences between the Series 8 and the new SE. This is what I put together, but what am I missing?

-SE has no Always On Display
-SE has a smaller display?
-SE has no temperature sensor, but has most of the health features found in other Apple Watches
-SE has no fast charging?

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I want to buy my wife an Apple Watch today, and I'm trying to figure out the differences between the Series 8 and the new SE. This is what I put together, but what am I missing?

-SE has no temperature sensor, but has most of the health features found in other Apple Watches

No ECG

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Correct
Yes, the SE displays are ~1mm smaller in roughly the same side enclosure
Correct, minus the temperature sensor, it does have most of the other health features (the other feature I suspect it will omit is the ECG, but that hasn't been confirmed one way or the other yet).
Also unknown at this time, but I'd be surprised if the new SE doesn't get fast(er) charging

Reactions: Boisv

D-ConYT

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2022
Earth
SE1 is slow as heck.
It's barely any slower than the SE2! It would only be considered "slow as heck" if the S7 and S8 weren't just reskins of the S6, and the SE1 uses an S5, so yeah it's really only 1 generation slower. That's a difference of about 20% but it's still really snappy.

crispswish

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
It would only be considered "slow as heck" if the S7 and S8 weren't just reskins of the S6, and the SE1 uses an S5, so yeah it's really only 1 generation slower.

S8 chip means S7 chip. Which means S6 chip based on a13 cores. That was the last real upgrade with SiP aspect

The S8 chip doesn't seem to be a just a reskin of the S7 and S6 chips from Series 6 and 7. According to Apple, the up to 20% increase in speed is comparing the new SE with the S8 chip to the Series 7 with the S7 chip, not the old SE with the S5 chip:

"S8 SiP with 64-bit dual-core processor
Up to 20% faster than previous generation24"

"Results based on the performance of common user tasks. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2021 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 7, and shipping Apple Watch SE, each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. Results reflect the approximate performance of Apple Watch."

So the old SE would be 2 generations slower?

Last edited:

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
The S8 chip doesn't seem to be a just a reskin of the S7 and S6 chips from Series 6 and 7. According to Apple, the up to 20% increase in speed is comparing the new SE with the S8 chip to the Series 7 with the S7 chip, not the old SE with the S5 chip:

"S8 SiP with 64-bit dual-core processor
Up to 20% faster than previous generation24"

"Results based on the performance of common user tasks. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2021 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 7, and shipping Apple Watch SE, each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. Results reflect the approximate performance of Apple Watch."

So the old SE would be 2 generations slower?
On the SE2 site it says the following:

1. Results based on the performance of common user tasks. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2022 using preproduction Apple Watch SE (2nd generation) and shipping Apple Watch SE (1st generation), each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. Results reflect the approximate performance of Apple Watch.

So it's only 20% faster than the first SE.

Reactions: MifuneKinski

nymphe

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2009
SE1 is slow as heck.

It's barely any slower than the SE2! It would only be considered "slow as heck" if the S7 and S8 weren't just reskins of the S6, and the SE1 uses an S5, so yeah it's really only 1 generation slower. That's a difference of about 20% but it's still really snappy.

I think he is mixing it with Series 1. Apple Watch SE 1 is quite new and fast.

Reactions: SantaFeNM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.