Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced a new universal Apple TV app called 'TV' at its "Hello again" event today.

The TV app is a "unified TV experience" works in sync across Apple TV and iOS devices, and provides an easy-to-use hub for accessing and discovering TV shows and movies in a way that "will change how we watch television", says Apple.

f1477588682-800x445.jpg

"Using apps on Apple TV, iPhone and iPad has become the primary way for so many of us to watch television," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "The TV app shows you what to watch next and easily discover TV shows and movies from many apps in a single place."

The app features category tabs across its main screen. "Watch Now" lists TV episodes and movies you are currently watching. It includes series you might be binging on, as well as new episodes of series you also follow.

With the "Up Next" sub-category, users can enjoy the shows and movies they are currently watching, including recent iTunes rentals and purchases -- all presented in the order they're most likely to watch first.

For example, when viewers finish an episode, the next one automatically appears at the start of the Up Next queue, as well any new episodes as they become available.

There's also a "Recommended" sub-category with curated content lists across TV series and movies available in iTunes, broken down by genre. Subscribing to pay-TV third-party apps like DISH also feeds in channel-specific entertainment information.

With the Store category, users can look for something new across video services that they have not yet downloaded or are not yet subscribed to, along with the latest releases on iTunes.

Apple also introduced a new Siri feature for Apple TV that lets viewers tune in directly to live news and sporting events across their apps. Siri is now aware of live sporting events across apps so users can simply say things like, "Watch the Liverpool game" or "Which games are on right now?" Siri also knows additional details of the games, can provide live scores and can take viewers directly to the live stream within the app that's carrying it, according to Apple.

The TV app will be a free software update in December for Apple TV (4th generation), iPhone and iPad customers in the US. Live tune-in with Siri is available today.

Article Link: Apple Announces Universal TV App for 'Unified TV Experience'

ffpm8575

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012

Apple announced a new universal Apple TV app called 'TV' at its "Hello again" event today.

The TV app is a "unified TV experience" works across Apple TV and iOS devices, and provides an easy-to-use hub for TV shows and movies that "will change how we watch television", says Apple.

f1477588682-800x445.jpg

The app features category tabs across its main screen. The first, Watch Now, lists TV episodes and movies you are currently watching, as well as any you've queued up to watch next. It includes series you might be binging on, as well as new episodes of series you follow.

There's also a "What to Watch" Store category with curated content lists across TV series and movies available in iTunes, while subscribing to third-party apps like Starz also feeds in channel-specific information.

Searching content is supported by Siri. The TV app will be a free software update for all devices by the end of the year.

Article Link: Apple Announces Universal TV App for 'Unified TV Experience'
[doublepost=1477591191][/doublepost]Is there 4K support?

Reactions: Avieshek

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Content? Or do we have to buy individual shows, subscribe to individual packages?

The problem with tv is not the interface it's the content.

This app just unifies the content in the individual apps plus iTunes content. If the individual apps require a subscription or authentication, Apple has no control over that.

All this app does is remove the need to close and open a different app. And that is exactly what users of Apple TV have wanted for a long time. If I am not mistaken Roku and the now defunct FanTV has a similar interface.
[doublepost=1477591444][/doublepost]
Typical US only feature.

I believe it stays STARTING in the US

uva25a

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
I just don't get it. As someone who has owned a Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, I don't understand why I would want to get this if I can't search for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Ok, if you are one of the few people who aren't prime members, fine. But considering Prime and Netflix are putting out so much good original programming, what does this Apple Tv feature do for me. Amazon is updating their interface to allow equal search and promotion capabilities for Netflix and Hulu so this seems to me like a much better option. Renting or buying movies on iTunes is useless to most as you can do this on other devices as well. I want to love this feature but without Prime and Netflix, its fairly lame compared to what Amazon Fire is offering, in my opinion.

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I just don't get it. As someone who has owned a Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV, I don't understand why I would want to get this if I can't search for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Ok, if you are one of the few people who aren't prime members, fine. But considering Prime and Netflix are putting out so much good original programming, what does this Apple Tv feature do for me. Amazon is updating their interface to allow equal search and promotion capabilities for Netflix and Hulu so this seems to me like a much better option. Renting or buying movies on iTunes is useless to most as you can do this on other devices as well. I want to love this feature but without Prime and Netflix, its fairly lame compared to what Amazon Fire is offering, in my opinion.

I search for Netflix shows fine, and have since the new ATV has been shipping.

You are correct on your other point--there's no Prime app offered by Amazon at this time.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
4K streaming on a Device that doesn't support 4K? I know people here are gung-ho about 4K, but the majority of the market doesn't care about 4K. Or can even tell the difference 1080p and 4K.

4K will not take off until networks start broadcasting in 4K.
I'm talking new device. AppleTV is cool, but woefully inadequate.

My latest TV, I find I use the AppleTV less and less. The built in 'smart apps' for Netflix, Amazon, etc support 4K HDR.

Useability of the AppleTV is better and there are other functions, so I'd rather use it. But it's sliding into irrelevance.

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
I'm talking new device. AppleTV is cool, but woefully inadequate.

My latest TV, I find I use the AppleTV less and less. The built in 'smart apps' for Netflix, Amazon, etc support 4K HDR.

Useability of the AppleTV is better and there are other functions, so I'd rather use it. But it's sliding into irrelevance.

4K continues to be a gimmick. There is little content, and production artists who use it say they can't discern between it and properly shot HD. (And I say this as the owner of a 70" 4K set.)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I guess if you subscribe to all those different TV services, then TV "unifies" them. I was hoping for more, though -- like the ability to use the Apple TV like a TV tuner and have local network stations available that I could surf through.

Reactions: Elbon

uva25mariners

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
I search for Netflix shows fine, and have since the new ATV has been shipping.

You are correct on your other point--there's no Prime app offered by Amazon at this time.
I agree that you can search for Netflix shows but that won't be integrated into this new app which has the sole purpose of integrating all of your viewing choices. The answer for me is to wait and see what happens I guess.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I want this app for macOS. It annoys me that my iMac, which has a big screen for a bedroom, is such a terrible media viewer unless I connect an Apple TV to it (is that even possible?). All because macOS thinks you should use iTunes to play your content, and iTunes is a complete piece of garbage.

I also tried using a Mac mini connected to a TV. But it's the same problem. macOS is a terrible htpc operating system. Playing content in it is cumbersome. Every proper mac computer should be able to do, in full, everything an Apple TV is capable of.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I guess if you subscribe to all those different TV services, then TV "unifies" them. I was hoping for more, though -- like the ability to use the Apple TV like a TV tuner and have local network stations available that I could surf through.

Any content coming through the Apple TV has to follow content transmission rules. Local channel content is controlled by the affiliates which are mostly NOT owned by the Network. Those affiliates have the rights to negotiate retransmission with pay tv providers hence why we have to authenticate with an established pay tv provider.

If it is not OTA then it is considered a RE-transmission. If Apple wants to provide a tv package. They would have to negotiate with the Networks AND affiliates.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm not sure I understand how this works, across devices at least. Is it just a storefront? Is it a streaming service like Netflix? If it's not like Netflix then what's the point of it, folk want to buy boxsets and films. I dunno. Maybe they just can't get content owners on board with it and we have this current mess.

Does it unify all the services we have like Netflix, Amazon etc?

Reactions: Mr. Donahue

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm confused what the purpose of this app is suppose to be. Right now, if I want to browse for shows, I have to launch a channel app (like CBS or ABC) and find the show I want to watch. So with this app, I look for the show I want and it points me to the app I need?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.