Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
The faux outrage machine will always keep churning and I've accepted that as a permanent fixture in our spoiled society that is now inundated with modern convenience, thus keeping most people from ever having real problems to complain about.

What I can't accept, however, is that Apple actually caved to this ********... How can the same company who had the cajones to stand up to the FBI and risk being sued by the federal government over deeply held principles about privacy and human rights, fold so easily because Hugh Grant didn't like their video?

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Not only that, but making your target audience want to buy your product. The target audience for this product is creative professionals. The question is : was a significant portion of that audience turned off, or just a few loud ones on social media? Apple apparently thought the former.
Precisely. Usually those who moan and complain are the loudest.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

truthsteve

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
It's an ad with a bad subliminal message.

The problem with the world these days is people's inability to see other people's points of view & the lack of empathy.
You can see other people's points of view and still run the ad without trying to pander to the lowest common denominator

Just because I'm offended by XYZ shouldn't prevent you from doing XYZ.

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
As a long-time pianist, I couldn’t help but wince at the poor upright being slowly obliterated (or any of the other musical instruments for that matter). Had to keep telling myself “I’m sure this whole thing is AI-generated… ok I really hope that’s AI-generated…” In any case, I knew what the end result was going to be long before the press was finished. (The agonizing journey to get there may have been a little cringe-inducing.)

But offended and/or outraged? Nah, it’s a waste of energy to let such inconsequential things charge your emotions. But then again almost nothing offends me so I’m probably not the one to ask about such matters. I don’t think Apple needed to cater the loud minority who found a reason to complain about it. It just gives precedence to expect Apple to apologize every time they release something that could be construed the wrong way.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It was at minimum tone deaf. There are a lot of inconsiderate people in the world, but they shouldn't be producing content.

It's amazing how people have become so self-centered that they rarely consider the effects their choices have on others.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
You can see other people's points of view and still run the ad without trying to pander to the lowest common denominator

Just because I'm offended by XYZ shouldn't prevent you from doing XYZ.

So, pulling an advertisement that fails to connect with its target market is “pandering to the lowest common denominator?” Are you suggesting that Apple’s target market is the “lowest common denominator”?

• Love
Reactions: furou and bousozoku

Liquid Galaxy

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Swindon, UK
As a long-time pianist, I couldn’t help but wince at the poor upright being slowly obliterated (or any of the other musical instruments for that matter). Had to keep telling myself “I’m sure this whole thing is AI-generated… ok I really hope that’s AI-generated…” In any case, I knew what the end result was going to be long before the press was finished. (The agonizing journey to get there may have been a little cringe-inducing.)

But offended and/or outraged? Nah, it’s a waste of energy to let such inconsequential things charge your emotions. But then again almost nothing offends me so I’m probably not the one to ask about such matters. I don’t think Apple needed to cater the loud minority who found a reason to complain about it. It just gives precedence to expect Apple to apologize every time they release something that could be construed the wrong way.
Finally a mature take on the subject…

Reactions: FCX and Surf Monkey

RRK50

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2020
These AI style synthesizers have been around for some time now. Musicians have been complaining about them for years. The iPad is making this technology affordable and available to the masses.

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
I feel like people here are raging against people who were “offended” but I really haven’t seen anyone who was? People just didn’t like it. They understood the intended message, but didn’t think it was executed well and unintentionally sent a different, bleaker message.

If people think a movie is poorly made, and have critiques of it, it doesn’t automatically mean they were “offended” by it.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The faux outrage machine will always keep churning and I've accepted that as a permanent fixture in our spoiled society that is now inundated with modern convenience, thus keeping most people from ever having real problems to complain about.

What I can't accept, however, is that Apple actually caved to this ********... How can the same company who had the cajones to stand up to the FBI and risk being sued by the federal government over deeply held principles about privacy and human rights, fold so easily because Hugh Grant didn't like their video?

Right. Apple needs to ignore the target market for the ad and run it just to spite people that disagree with a particular political ideology. Smart.

organisum

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2014
I have an iPhone 15 Pro, the max data transfer speed I get offloaing to Photos is about 50 MB/s. That's the same hard drive speed I'm getting, right now, on a late 2006 iMac Core2 Duo with a 320GB Western Digital HDD.

So, keep up the great work on those iOS toys!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.20.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.20.00 PM.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: tomchr9

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I feel like people here are raging against people who were “offended” but I really haven’t seen anyone who was? People just didn’t like it. They understood the intended message, but didn’t think it was executed well and unintentionally sent a different, bleaker message.

If people think a movie is poorly made, and have critiques of it, it doesn’t automatically mean they were “offended” by it.
Yeah, its a strawman argument.

Nobody is "outraged."

Liquid Galaxy

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Swindon, UK

No, but then the directors / producers of said movie wouldn’t have apologised and promised not to run the film on TV’s after it being shown in the cinema.

The big issue for me personally, is that Apple felt the need to apologise and will no longer air the ad on TV.

Ridiculous in my opinion.

johnsc3

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2018
Why apologize? What's happening to our world? It seems like nowadays, someone can get offended by just about anything, even a simple commercial.
I agree. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it offensive. I'm sure they would not be offended if there were to receive one of said iPads. Definitely not apologizing.. write me a letter.

Reactions: LightsOn45
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.