Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I think this is the guy that runs that machine.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.38.45 PM.png

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It was CGI.

Doesn’t matter. The message is the same.
Well you're definitely right about their target market being a bunch of pretentious, virtue-signaling 😿ies with too much time on their hands who are easily offended by everything and call themselves cReAtOrS 🥴

It's times like these that I really miss Steve. If he were running things he would've said to these adult toddlers something along the lines of "Fine, if a little fake video bothers you so much then maybe you should go buy a Surface Pro instead. I think we can weather the storm of losing 50 iPad orders."

Tell us you completely misunderstand Apple as a company without saying you completely misunderstand Apple as a company.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Well you're definitely right about their target market being a bunch of pretentious, virtue-signaling 😿ies with too much time on their hands who are easily offended by everything and call themselves cReAtOrS 🥴

It's times like these that I really miss Steve. If he were running things he would've said to these adult toddlers something along the lines of "Fine, if a little fake video bothers you so much then maybe you should go buy a Surface Pro instead. I think we can weather the storm of losing 50 iPad orders."
Steve Jobs wouldn't have let that video get out of the rough stage, let alone get ready to put it into the advertising channel.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Ad was great. Who cars what weirdos say on twitter. Just ignore these people....strange opinions get amplified on twitter. Really strange ones that represent tiny slices of the population.

I actually really like someone showing just how much technology has been compressed into these tiny devices.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Ad was great. Who cars what weirdos say on twitter. Just ignore these people....strange opinions get amplified on twitter. Really strange ones that represent tiny slices of the population.

I actually really like someone showing just how much technology has been compressed into these tiny devices.

The things they crushed are not all actually replicated by iPad. That’s part of the problem with the ad. It’s misleading.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I personally also think Apple should change its name and logo. It’s inappropriate to reference Christianity and Adam’s “original sin”. This ignores other religions and is very egotistical on their part. All products should be recalled. At minimum it should be a whole apple without a bite taken out of it.
This is true but I think it's more offensive because Eve ate first so this is also very sexist and shows apples true patriarchal colors. After the recall Apple Spaceship Campus should be razed.

elrojo69

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2022
The ad with the electric outlet and the ad with he pictures singing "don't let me go" are way more annoying.

Reactions: jlc1978

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Well, the advertisement makes sense. Apple
Does tend to crush everything these days and take the soul right out of it, especially that of the art world. Strange how Apple would promote being “Artsy” when they are the first to apologize for anything remotely resembling freedom of expression and differing opinions.

Overall, the advertisement isn’t anything to even get in a hissy over, anyways. If people are offended over this, I can’t even imagine if they saw the Nintendo advertisements from the 90s for their game boy. A woman seductively tied to the bed waiting for fun but the guy is just standing there playing the game boy because it’s that much funner. Yes, that’s a Nintendo ad.

But, hey…let’s moan about a hydraulic press 😂

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
A metaphor for how creative arts are crushed by the monolith that is Silicon Valley.

I agree that people shouldn’t be offended by this - that would be ridiculous - but it’s an extremely clumsy ad, and I find it baffling that no one internally raised concerns.
Probably the best take here. I thought it was a neat ad, but was extremely arrogant of Apple. As in a "our tech is so good, you won't need physical objects anymore" type of way.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
You sure about that, bud? I'm amazed you manage to not break your ankle with how fast you run to the comments of every one of these stories and spend all day claiming how you're totally not bothered or mad at all 🙂

If your intent was to prove which side in this debate is running on emotion, congratulations. Good thing your argument is so solid that you didn’t have to resort to personal smears.

Reactions: furou

audiophilosophy

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New Orleans
I took a college communications class in 2001, and the professor said that in the future, there would be a single device to do all sorts of things that we used to do separately. “The device.”
There’s no reason to apologize for this ad. Computers, tablets, and smartphones today are “the device.” A distillation of everything that used to be separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.