Apple, apple, apple.... you're so tricky.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theman, Jan 16, 2008.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I've been strongly considering buying the 16GB Touch for a while now, and decided to wait after Macworld just in case....

I was planning on buying it from amazon.com because right now it's $358.99 shipped.

Anyway, now that apple has done one of the most evil Microsuck-like things I can imagine, charging $20 for a simple upgrade that they withheld from the release version for no reason... I am not sure what to do.

Obviously, the Touch's at amazon.com will not come with the new apps, and who knows when ones will start shipping with them, it'll be like a lottery.

If I buy from Apple.com/store it will end up costing about $430 after tax.

Now keep in mind I'm one of those people who HAS to get everything at the lowest price possible... my question is, whether to just buy from amazon now and then spend the $20 for the apps, or wait some undetermined amount of time to save the $20.... :(

wahhh

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

3. Pippen Man macrumors regular

When you buy the iPod, call up Apple and say you bought it withing 2 weeks of MacWorld but did not get the Apps on it. They will more then likely give you store credit to purchase them for free.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

+1 thats what I'd do, I'm sure they'll honer it.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Yea well I got my 8GB Touch at Costco before Christmas. Then yesterday I ended up paying the stinking $20 for the new apps. At Costco I have 90 days to retun it for a full refund, which I have been thinking about doing and then buying the 16GB Touch from Amazon for $359. The only problem is I would then have to pay the stupid $20 again to the get the new apps, because as it was already said Amazon won't have the new ones yet!

I am new to Apple products and am not pleased at how they treat their customers with crap like this $20 new app issue. I couldn't believe the iPhone $200 price drop they did to early adopters and then only giving back $100 in Apple store credits. Is this type of thing going to be the norm from Apple? Granted they did Early Apple TV customers right but come on.

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just did an apple store Chat and asked them if i would be entitled to the apps. they said "I don't have any information on that. But you should buy it at the Apple Store to get free customized engraving!!!"

what the hell apple...

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

MR suggests that iPods in the retail channel will be discounted $20 so the buyer can purchase the upgrade.

My iPod is about a month old. I dropeed the $20 and feel like it was money well spent.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

Granted the apps are cool but considering the previous owners of the iPhone and Apple TV got free upgrades...why not previous owners of the Touch?

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Because:
    1. It's required to cost something by law.
    2. The Apple TV's update was really only an interface change and the enabling of rentals.
    3. Apple makes a helluva lot more money off the iPhone than the touch.
    4. iPod and iPhone both got pretty much the same upgrade. 1.1.3 is free. But the apps are available and they are what costs more.
    5. They can.

10. Resist macrumors 68030

Apple TV's update was a complete rework to the software and they lowered the base price. Granted Apple makes more money from the iPhone than from the Touch the apps are however included free with new purchases of the Touch. So why not throw us a bone?

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

Who give a crap? The apps are a reasonable value at $20 and it's the only game in town, unless you want to jailbreak your iPod.

I remember when the concept of Quicktime/Quicktime Pro was introduced. That $30 upgrade induced an even higher level of outrage here on MacWhiners.

12. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Or buy the iPod touch for Amazon, JB it to 1.1.2, and download the Apps free of charge.

13. Resist macrumors 68030

I give a crap! And $20 is NOT a reasonable value considering Apple is giving it away free with new purchases. These are apps Apple knew were going to be included with the Touch for free but waited to release them so they could sell a bunch of the Touch's first, then later charge people to get the apps. I could understand if the apps were something completely new to the iPhone/Touch platform, but they aren't.

Guess the lesson learned is to wait 6 months before buying any Apple product, for fear of getting screwed over later. This was my first experience with Apple products and so far is not a good one.

14. Pippen Man macrumors regular

When will anyone learn? Apple HAD, and I'll repeat, HAD to charge us for this update. Give up, if you hate it, go Jailbreak! Boo-ho, Apple won't have you as a customer, but I have a feeling that they'll get a bunch more with this update.

If you want to complain, go here.!

15. Resist macrumors 68030

Oh but they didn't have to charge it to new purchases? How do you figure they had to charge us?

16. steve.lawrence macrumors member

I am sick of reading this BS. I challenge you, right here in this thread, to put forward a convincing argument backed up with verifiable FACTS to support that.

17. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Im sick of this BS too man. I agree with you.

18. Hmac macrumors 68020

Then don't buy it. THAT will teach Apple a lesson.

19. Resist macrumors 68030

To late I bought it yesterday. :(

20. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, there's another thread pretty much exactly the same as this one, and there was at least one person who ordered from amazon and is getting it soon. i'll see what happens to them before buying.

21. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Blame it on the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

This law requires that companies charge for significant features added to already-purchased products. Same reason that the wireless-n update costs $1.99.

22. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Why is it required by law when the PSP stuff has been free to those folks?

23. Resist macrumors 68030

Maybe so but the law didn't require Apple to charge $20 for the features. Charging $5 would have been easier to deal with.

24. rworne macrumors 6502

From what I see, the features were already included in the free 1.1.3 update.

After paying $20, all I got was an 8.4K download that somehow enabled all the apps. Hmmm, not unlike the wireless-n update, but 10x more expensive.

25. David G. macrumors 65816

Very, very few would argue with you on that part.