Apple Arcade Adds Five New Games on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV as 'LEGO Brawls' Expands to Mac

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Arcade has received another weekly refresh, with five more games added to the service across iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

The new titles include neo-classic side-scrolling action platformer "Fallen Knight" by FairPlay Studios, barnyard game "Hogwash" by Bossa Studios, the hypnotic getaway "Lifelike: Chapter One" by Kunabi Brother, puzzler "Tales of Memo" by Tendays Studio, and roleplaying folktale "Yaga" by Versus Evil.

"Hogwash," "Tales of Memo," and "Yaga" have also been added to Apple Arcade on the Mac, while "ChuChu Rocket! Universe" and "LEGO Brawls" have been extended to the Mac after debuting on iOS last month.

Apple Arcade now has 89 games available for iOS and tvOS, and 81 on macOS, as Apple closes in on its promise of over 100 games.

Apple Arcade is Apple's new subscription-based gaming service, providing iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac users with access to dozens of premium games for $4.99 per month, with no in-app purchases or ads. The service launched in late September with a one-month free trial available.

Article Link: Apple Arcade Adds Five New Games on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV as 'LEGO Brawls' Expands to Mac

Todd Fisher

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Pretty amazing service IMO for $5mo. Even more so if you have kids into games. Need to have a USB controller of course for the use of most of them I believe, but I really think this will grow to be a popular service over time. So many subscriptions though, I am about subbed out LOL.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
How successful has Apple Arcade been since launching? I’m tempted to try it but no game has caught my eye yet.
Spek is a real challenging puzzler and Grindstone is really good fun if you’re into that sort of game.

Personally I’m a big fan of Apple Arcade. The fact that you can’t have any ads, any in app purchases, or any pay/wait to win mechanics at all means it’s always worth checking out games there and the only cost is the 10 minutes you take to get it out. Their only way to bring you back is simply by having a good game.

I also have family sharing so my subscription filters down to everybody else and they play a lot more than I do. There are all sorts of other games they play. It’s only ever going to get better as well. Already the quality is reassuring because they’re not trying to wring the mechanics for IAPs.

SDJim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
Need to have a USB controller of course for the use of most of them I believe, but I really think this will grow to be a popular service over time.
FWIW, there are a bunch of wireless options that will work with every device that can run Apple Arcade. One controller, one game, multiple platforms.

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Once a game is on Apple Arcade, is it there forever? Or will we see games regularly removed as well as added, further down the line?

Reactions: simonmet

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
How successful has Apple Arcade been since launching? I’m tempted to try it but no game has caught my eye yet.
I think it really depends on how you like to game. I took a look but cancelled before the free trial ended, not that it's bad per-se but more that it's not my sort of thing. There's a free trial, make use of it and take a look! ;)

fmcshan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2019
USA
If the subscription price was more than the $4.99/month, I wouldn’t say the price is justified. I like this particular subscription model because users get unlimited access to all of these games with no additional in app purchases for $4.99 a month. It’s just now that we are in a world where subscriptions are unfortunately taking over 🤷‍♂️

gnipgnop

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
Once a game is on Apple Arcade, is it there forever? Or will we see games regularly removed as well as added, further down the line?
I don't think you can expect every game to be permanently available. Similar to the standard App Store, you'll have developers that are no longer interested in supporting the app or providing updates after a period of time, or you might have developers that go out of business etc.

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
I was VERY excited for arcade when it was announced and leading up to launch. But it feels like so many of these are borderline Newgrounds games. There's so few games that feel like they'll get regular content updates because so little work was put into them in the first place. There's a few 'visual novels' which are barely games, a few incredibly buggy and rushed games, and this, which was rushed by a 14 year old in a super short time span. Like, even MiniMotorways, by a proven developer, has some SERIOUS game breaking bugs.
Nothing is finished and if it claims to be, it's not good.

I just wish they got an ACTUAL investment, these are some great ideas but execution is so subpar. I don't know what Apple was pushing for between bringing into the program and launch dates, but I feel like it just wasn't enough time?

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I was VERY excited for arcade when it was announced and leading up to launch. But it feels like so many of these are borderline Newgrounds games. There's so few games that feel like they'll get regular content updates because so little work was put into them in the first place. There's a few 'visual novels' which are barely games, a few incredibly buggy and rushed games, and this, which was rushed by a 14 year old in a super short time span. Like, even MiniMotorways, by a proven developer, has some SERIOUS game breaking bugs.
Nothing is finished and if it claims to be, it's not good.

I just wish they got an ACTUAL investment, these are some great ideas but execution is so subpar. I don't know what Apple was pushing for between bringing into the program and launch dates, but I feel like it just wasn't enough time?
No different to the 1000 different fart apps we got when the App Store was first introduced in 2008. As it becomes more established, larger developers will move towards Apple Arcade to create some seriously big games which use the iPhone's horsepower and aren't forced to write their games with pay-to-win mechanics.

Apple Arcade is a really positive step in the right direction. Personally I feel really optimistic about the future of gaming on iOS. :)

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2019
Say what you will of Tim Cook, but implementing this service this way is simply BRILLIANT.

I feel Apple Arcade will become important; a killer service keeping people on Apple's camp like iMessage does, and a reason to get iOS devices (judging by my late-teenage kids)

Time will tell if I'm right.

gplusplus

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2018
The only thing stopping me from getting Apple Arcade is that I don’t want to buy a two year old Apple TV. If they released a new, refreshed device, then I’d go for this. I have no interest in the other platforms.

Am I the only one?

Tarantularock

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
The only thing stopping me from getting Apple Arcade is that I don’t want to buy a two year old Apple TV. If they released a new, refreshed device, then I’d go for this. I have no interest in the other platforms.

Am I the only one?
I was hoping this would be an alternative to the Nintendo switch.

My kids try and play the games on our 2 year old Apple TV and it seems like it can't handle them. Apple really need to release a new one with the a12 /a13.

More memory would be good too, but would most likely be very expensive.

Reactions: gplusplus

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
An outstanding service keeps getting better and better.

I haven’t signed-up. Not sure why. I think this is the problem with entertainment services. So much abundance in the face of limited time.

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
I don't think you can expect every game to be permanently available. Similar to the standard App Store, you'll have developers that are no longer interested in supporting the app or providing updates after a period of time, or you might have developers that go out of business etc.
I guess I meant more in terms of the business deals struck between Apple and game developers. If Arcade is an endlessly expanding pile of games that ends up numbering 1000+ after a few years, then I have to imagine the economics would be significantly different than if Arcade was, say, a rolling collection of 200 max.