Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS-9-Siri-250x213.jpg
During today's fourth quarter 2016 earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked about Siri, artificial intelligence, home assistants vs. mobile assistants, and balancing AI with security, which led to some interesting new insights into Siri's popularity and Apple's privacy stance.

According to Cook, Apple is now getting more than 2 billion Siri requests per week. "It's very large," he said, "and to the best of our knowledge, we've shipped more assistant enabled devices than anyone out there." He went on to highlight Apple's efforts to deliver a great Siri experience around the world. While most AI services are limited to the United States, Siri is available in many countries. "We put a lot of energy into that," Cook said.

Cook also said that he believes there's more value in having a phone with a personal assistant built in, like Siri, than a home device. "We live in a mobile society," he said. "People are constantly moving from home to work and to other things they may be doing. And so the advantage of having an assistant on your phone is that it's with you all the time." He went on to say that there's still a market for a home assistant like the Amazon Echo, but that usage on a phone "will likely be much greater."

On security, Cook said that Apple does not believe there's a need to compromise security for the sake of artificial intelligence.
In terms of the balance of privacy and AI, this is a long conversation, but at a high level, this is a false tradeoff. People would like you to believe you have to give up privacy to have AI do something for you, but we don't buy that. It might take more work, it might take more thinking, but I don't think we should throw our privacy away. It's sort of like the age old argument between privacy and security. You should have both. You shouldn't have to make a choice.
In the past, rumors have suggested that Apple's staunch dedication to privacy has held back the development of Siri. Apple is said to employ "policy czars" that make sure Apple services are not collecting customer data, something that has restricted the way Siri can be used.

Apple has, however, made some important steps forward with Siri in recent years through the use of machine learning and a neural network, advancements Cook highlighted earlier in the call. Just this year, Apple was able to open up Siri to third-party developers, and the company is said to be hard at work on some major improvements that will allow Siri to do more and to be built into products like a rumored Echo-like smart home device.

Article Link: Tim Cook: 'We Don't Buy' the Need to Give Up Privacy for AI

Reactions: Javabird

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
More mullarkey from Tim. Apple's privacy stance is precisely what's been holding Siri back from being useful in any meaningful way. I get far more accurate results with Google Now/Assistant & Amazon's Alexa than I ever have using Siri. At this point Siri is more of a hindrance than a useful tool.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
More mullarkey from Tim. Apple's privacy stance is precisely what's been holding Siri back from being useful in any meaningful way. I get far more accurate results with Google Now/Assistant & Amazon's Alexa than I ever have using Siri. At this point Siri is more of a hindrance than a useful tool.

Google at this point have way too much power. Put a stumpy fingered idiot in power over your country or a less than benevolent board in Google and it's a scary place—both of which could happen some day. The idea is to design the whole thing to prevent it well before it's possible. Google and Facebook etc. have ran gleefully over that line.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Good. If that's the tradeoff, I'll take inherent privacy over a few more features when I choose to talk to my phone. Any day of the week.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

I disagree. I fail to see how knowing my browsing habits will help Siri remember context, or learn more facts - two areas where it's behind Google.

Sure, I should be able to ask siri to 'play me a new song you'll think I like' but Apple's stance on privacy doesn't prevent this.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I might be just a stubborn ass, but I don't see the problem in doing things myself, if Siri really is so bad.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Don't personally see much need for Amazon Echo or Google Home type devices when my phone is always within a few metres.

But will be interesting to see if Apple enters that space with Siri.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Apple's privacy stance is precisely what's been holding Siri back from being useful in any meaningful way. I get far more accurate results with Google Now/Assistant & Amazon's Alexa than I ever have using Siri. At this point Siri is more of a hindrance than a useful tool.

Google's and Amazon's privacy stance is precisely what's holding me back from using Google Now and Alexa. What good are accurate results if one is not willing to pay the privacy price?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
They don't want to give up your privacy yet THEY receive 2 billion Siri requests every week!!

Nope, the only way for his statement to be true is for Apple to not receive a damn thing from you. And Siri will always be poorer too then it's competition. I would appreciate it relinquishing privacy for better services and more accuracy.

At this point Apples stupid comments about 'privacy' are nothing more then advertising soundbite gimmicks.

Synchro

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2005
France
This "privacy czars" thing is not a small thing, and it's not going away. It's a legal requirement of the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), which are already ratified and coming into force in May 2018. Any company not doing this will simply not be able to trade in the EU, or face fines of up to 4% of global turnover, per instance! Apple is simply doing their homework and approaching it exactly as the law intends all companies to, and they should be applauded for it.

I see no reasonable way that Google's recent announcement allowing advertisers to get direct access to personal data of all its users will not fall foul of that in a very big way.

Last edited:

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Not sure how Siri communicates with the Apple Servers. Amazon Echo has a dedicated connection to Amazon servers. The reason I know this, tech support asked me one day if my Echo was connected to the network. I said yes, not your Wifi but our network. Me ???. Look on back of device, is the white light on? Yes, then it is not only connected to your Wifi but a dedicated connection to our servers. Wondering if Siri uses some dedicated connection when you request something? Seems like a good idea if in fact it works as I was told.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

And customers like me thank him for it and stick with Apple because of it because we value our privacy more than a digital assistant.

They don't want to give up your privacy yet THEY receive 2 billion Siri requests every week!!

Nope, the only way for his statement to be true is for Apple to not receive a damn thing from you. And Siri will always be poorer too then it's competition. I would appreciate it relinquishing privacy for better services and more accuracy.

At this point Apples stupid comments about 'privacy' are nothing more then advertising soundbite gimmicks.

Google uses things like all the search and email data that they have, prior requests, contacts, basically everything that they can possibly pull and links it together (albeit 'anonymized') to provide the results they do. Apple doesn't do that. Maybe you're okay with blithely handing over everything about you for the profits of Google's coffers, but some of us aren't and I appreciate Apple being willing to give those of us in that camp an option. If they didn't then we'd have no options at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.