Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple's playing favorites...

"Include 'Sign in with Apple' above all other options, and you'll get approved quicker" That's probably the reason.

They are slowly closing the gap for freedom of what develops can not only put on the store, but now also position.

And with that, i'm sure it will take off, because everyone wants their app approved faster.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
That's not similar at all. There were tangible benefits to using the iPhone vs non-smartphones. Switching sign-in methods doesn't provide tangible benefits to the people I'm referencing. It's just another option to use for sign-in. A difference without a perceptible distinction. It's either click this button, or that button, or that other button. There's nothing new to experience.

Say what now? For every single new app I use, it's very much not the same. It is NOT just clicking one button versus another. I, and many people, do not have a Facebook account. And I do not want to have to create a user credentials for each new app. and even if I did have Facebook, there are many apps I might not want Facebook to know what I'm doing. Privacy is not trivial.

mimeArtist

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Gudielines are made to be as straight forward as possible, they're not going to nest it between Facebook and Google for example, why would they go out of their way to make it more obscure as a concept for people?

willyx

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
Their platform, their rules.

No, their platform has to comply with the rules of the law, which include the antitrust ones. We will see how a lot of this enforcements are soon under fire by the authorities.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
No, their platform has to comply with the rules of the law, which include the antitrust ones. We will see how a lot of this enforcements are soon under fire by the authorities.

Yeah, that's a lot of BS.
Just because there will be a lot of whiners, it doesn't mean Apple has broken any rules or law.
Whiners are fully entitled to whine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ravenstar

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
I'm not too bothered by this, I believe it's because Apple want to avoid developers making the Sign in with Apple button a single white pixel in the bottom left corner of the screen or something. By mandating it be placed prominently developers can't pay lip service to the requirement and carry on using Facebook/Google to slurp people's data up.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Say what now? For every single new app I use, it's very much not the same. It is NOT just clicking one button versus another. I, and many people, do not have a Facebook account. And I do not want to have to create a user credentials for each new app. and even if I did have Facebook, there are many apps I might not want Facebook to know what I'm doing. Privacy is not trivial.
You obviously didn't understand the full context of my quote. I said: "doesn't provide tangible benefits to the people I'm referencing." I was referencing people who already use FB sign-in. Your anecdote represents a very small minority which I definitely wasn't referencing. Privacy may not be trivial to you, but by and large FB users have proven time and again, privacy isn't a priority for them.

Reactions: ipponrg

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I have iOS 13 and macOS 10.5 installed but haven’t seen “Sign in with Apple” on any website. Is it available yet? If so, someone please list a website as an example. Thanks!

Reactions: missyagogo

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Fair enough. I personally wouldn't use any unified login service. The risks from a security breach are too high and not worth the convenience - instead of one account being compromised, all your third-party logins would be compromised as well.

But that's not how any of this works.

The purpose behind auth tokens is that the site never gets a password so there is nothing to compromise.

The only issue is some platforms offering them do allow other information to be passed along, While apple does not. It's why it's interesting seeing people claiming anti-trust violations with apple wanting theirs on top, I'd like to see someone try to explain why promoting an anti-data harvesting approach to authentication falls foul of anti-trust rules.

It's also nothing compared to meeting guidelines organisations have when it comes to using their logo's and identifiers when designing documents.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
But that's not how any of this works.

The purpose behind auth tokens is that the site never gets a password so there is nothing to compromise.

The only issue is some platforms offering them do allow other information to be passed along, While apple does not. It's why it's interesting seeing people claiming anti-trust violations with apple wanting theirs on top, I'd like to see someone try to explain why promoting an anti-data harvesting approach to authentication falls foul of anti-trust rules.

It's also nothing compared to meeting guidelines organisations have when it comes to using their logo's and identifiers when designing documents.

I was speaking about the Apple password (or mechanism) being compromised, not the individual authentication tokens created by Apple for each individual third-party site.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
I have iOS 13 and macOS 10.5 installed but haven’t seen “Sign in with Apple” on any website. Is it available yet? If so, someone please list a website as an example. Thanks!
It is not intended for websites as those are not published in the App Store. It may show up on websites at some point but there is no correlation between the two.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
It is not intended for websites as those are not published in the App Store. It may show up on websites at some point but there is no correlation between the two.

So this new feature will only be available within apps that are in the App Store?

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Wait, so now we’re all going to sit around and complain about a suggestion.

These forums are hilarious. ;):)o_O
Well, in my experience Apple’s ‚suggestions’ just means that you have some flexibility, but taking too much leeway and ignoring too many of them can result in your App being denied.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Don’t underestimate being in favour with big tech companies, I get this feeling that other companies will now pay web developers to place their option above all else. Great for developers to make extra cash.
[doublepost=1559763206][/doublepost]

It will turn ugly as companies will start using logos then.
[doublepost=1559763289][/doublepost]

People who do not have an iOS or Mac deceive :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1559763412][/doublepost]

I don’t believe you understand providing the option to developers vice asking them to do it. This just leave a bad taste coming from Apple who is trying to position itself as the better option.
Allowing Apple to have your info is still far safer than Google or Facebook. :rolleyes:

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Allowing Apple to have your info is still far safer than Google or Facebook. :rolleyes:

Until Apple slips up. No one is saying that the others are not bad enough, one is simply saying what happens when Apple is in the same position they are proclaiming not to be.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Until Apple slips up. No one is saying that the others are not bad enough, one is simply saying what happens when Apple is in the same position they are proclaiming not to be.

Given how much Facebook has screwed around with our data, Apple could have a lifetime of slip ups and still come nowhere close to displacing Facebook.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Given how much Facebook has screwed around with our data, Apple could have a lifetime of slip ups and still come nowhere close to displacing Facebook.

Slipping up is not a competition, if you claim the other parties have a problem with privacy, etc you cannot afford even one instance.

What I find interesting is under iOS 13 feature list for Safari:

"iCloud end‑to‑end encryption
Your Safari history and open tabs that have synced with iCloud are now protected with end‑to‑end encryption."

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
And the first missile in the sign in war has been fired. Google has stopped allowing Apple mail (and also Outlook) to sign in to gmail, saying they aren't secure enough to meet Google's standards. After jumping through all the hoops that they outlined, I still can't log in from Outlook. Goodbye gmail!! And good riddance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.