Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has asked Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC) to increase production of the A-series chips that are used in the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max due to higher-than-expected demand, reports Bloomberg.

iphone-11-and-11-pro-no-background.jpg

iPhone 11 and 11 Pro demand has been outperforming Apple's expectations, and sales have been especially strong in China, a welcome change from the drop in sales that Apple saw with the 2018 iPhone models. Apple's iPhone 11, priced starting at $700, has been a "particular driver" for the increased demand.

Apple's TSMC A13 chip orders are set to increase again in just a few months as Apple prepares to launch a new low-cost iPhone, which will be a successor to the popular iPhone SE.

The upcoming iPhone, which could launch as early as March, is said to feature an affordable price tag. The device is rumored to feature a 4.7-inch display, thick top and bottom bezels with a Touch ID Home button, and a single-lens camera, but it will be equipped with the same A13 chip used in the 11 and 11 Pro.

During a recent earnings call, TSMC reported earnings above most analyst expectations and forecasted a strong quarter ahead.

Article Link: Apple Asks TSMC to Up A13 Chip Production Due to High Demand for 11 and 11 Pro

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Hey, I had to get the 5.8 pro phone before they forced me to go even bigger.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
from wafer start to assembled chip ship for phone assembly you are looking at a 2.5 - 3 months lead-time, so if these are for increased 11/11Pro demand, it's too late ... if they increased orders now, its for the new iPhone that will be assembled in ~ Apr timeframe ... this article doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: tridley68

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
from wafer start to assembled chip ship for phone assembly you are looking at a 2.5 - 3 months lead-time, so if these are for increased 11/11Pro demand, it's too late ... if they increased orders now, its for the new iPhone that will be assembled in ~ Apr timeframe ... this article doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I’d say they’re anticipating stronger demand than expected based on having experienced stronger demand than expected. I’m sure a new, low-cost iPhone will sell decently just like the iPhone SE did, but don’t believe that it’ll sell in anywhere near the numbers that the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro have done will continue to do.

jecowa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Maybe the rebranding to remove the "XR" is the cause for the increase in sales? Any other theories on why this might be selling better than last year's model?

Reactions: motulist

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Even if your speculative guess is true, they plan on selling the iPhone 11 through 2020, so it still makes sense. Plus, many of their orders are for replenishing inventories that are likely dwindling faster than expected.

Apple likely plans months in advance, so this would be for anticipated sales. Apple is world class at having product available, so this isn’t some rush to get some on the shelves next week.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Maybe the rebranding to remove the "XR" is the cause for the increase in sales? Any other theories on why this might be selling better than last year's model?
I think “iPhone 11 Pro” sounds like much more of an upgrade than “Xs”. The “Pro” name is just good marketing.

The cameras and battery life are serious upgrades over previous generations. Deep Fusion and especially Night Mode are a big leap for iPhone. And people seem to like the look of the frosted back glass and camera layout - it’s obvious they have the latest iPhone.

My brother, who does not care about phones, wanted one and got upgrades for himself and his wife. And two diehard Samsung buddies switched to iPhone for the Pro Max. Anecdotal I know, but I think the 11 Pro features and marketing make it much more appealing to consumers. And that sells phones.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I don't know about others but I went with the Pro Max for the battery. All my iPhones have been positively horrid on battery life. For once, it's been really great and I'm not stuck by a charger all day long. I just hope new iOS versions don't totally obliterate this new found freedom I've gained.

I hadn't upgraded since the 7 Plus. Though I did try an XS and an 11. Both were mediocre in battery and sound quality.

This Pro Max does well.

Reactions: TallGuyGT

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
IMO the Neural processor changed everything. The A13 chip itself gets the credit for the enhanced camera and night mode.

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH

When it was called the XR, it sold like hotcakes too. It comes down to pricing. People will upgrade as long as they can afford it.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
People are scrambling to get the iPhone 11 Pro with full camera array, before Apple forces us to get the Max model next year if we want the same thing. :p

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Nah, not true. The lead time is closer to 1 month if not less.

TechInsights did a tear down of a launch day iPhone XS. The A12 was manufactured 2018 week 33. In other words, mid-August.

1579679690657.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ftaok and Wide opeN

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Apple added a camera, 4GB RAM, and Gigabit LTE. That significantly closed the gap between the mainstream and the $999 model. Then, they subtracted $50.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

I think the naming is way better now than in 2018. Xs was the obvious successor to the iPhone X, and Xr was something "different", something less than the Xs.
Now the naming makes more sense, you have iPhone 11, so the standard iPhone, and then the Pro model with more features.
From a marketing perspective is better to have this naming instead of letters. I don't think it is the main reason why 11 is selling more than Xr, but I think it helps

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Huge hit late in the game for Apple. People don’t switch platforms, they just buy another iPhone once they get 5 years out of their old one. Smart of them to move onto wearables and services, but iPhone remains the most profitable phone platform by far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.