Apple Asks U.S. for Import Tariff Exemption on Parts for New Mac Pro After Shifting Assembly to China

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
taxes apply evenly , hence the reason they are asking for exemption., don't like tariffs? built it here.
As I wrote earlier, that is going to be very risky, and tough for Apple. The new Mac Pro requires completely different assemble process than the "trash can" predecessor. Even if the current US factory can be re-purposed, it will require major retooling, as well as considerably big investments on tools and machines. Workers also need to be retrained.

After that, since it is no longer built in China, how is tariff outside of the US going to work?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
As I wrote earlier, that is going to be very risky, and tough for Apple. The new Mac Pro requires completely different assemble process than the "trash can" predecessor. Even if the current US factory can be re-purposed, it will require major retooling, as well as considerably big investments on tools and machines. Workers also need to be retrained.

After that, since it is no longer built in China, how is tariff outside of the US going to work?
apple can either pay the tariff or pass the cost to the consumer, simple as that.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
apple can either pay the tariff or pass the cost to the consumer, simple as that.
Yea I suppose they can drive up the starting price from $6K to $7K+, charge even more on component upgrades if they don't come from countries that are exempted. The professionals will still buy it up, probably.

AZ63

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Laughable is the nicest thing I can say about the comments here. It seems MacRumors is filled with armchair production engineers and import/export experts. I said it before and I’ll say it again, if you think that the jobs performed by the uneducated masses of third world countries are a good thing, maybe you should question your life choices. America is past manufacturing, other developing countries are not. Get a decent education and this will not be an issue to you.
I read this line of thought from time to time, get an education and it won’t be a problem.
Guess what, not everyone is from Lake Wobegon. It is a fictional place and you have to wake up to that fact.
For people not familiar with Garrison Keillor’s work, here is the full quote.
Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average. - Garrison Keillor
America and every “developed” country in the world have citizens with a range of abilities. In other words, not everyone is able to complete in the world as you see it. Manufacturing jobs provide higher pay. It sounds like you are either unaware that not all people have the same academic facilities or you just don’t care.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Sorry, they chose to move the production to China, they had already been assembling it in the U.S. previously, which shows that it CAN be done.
The new Mac Pro should be assembled and made in NA. Apple's reliance on China is ridiculous. No exemption.
Mac would still be manufactured in 'Muerica if all the factory workers hadn't been deported back to China.:p

msp3

macrumors regular
May 9, 2015
>manufacture expensive computer in the US (Mac Pro 2013) that costs an arm and a leg

>move production to China (Mac Pro 2019), charge even more money than ever before (probably with some crazy fat margin), then tell the government why you shouldn’t have to pay import tariffs because you’ve thrown American workers out of a job while making more money than ever

Who thought this would possibility be a good idea? The audacity of it all...

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
PlayStation and Nintendo consoles aren’t manufactured in Japan though. Both companies have warned that the tariffs will force console hardware price to go up 20%
True but Japan still make a lot of stuff domestically. Anyway the conversation shifted from manufacturing to demographics, politics, pure chauvinism, how a country is an example of ‘what can go wrong’ so my point was to show how this is not true.

MR.Raul

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Sweden
You don’t have to choose 1 when you see what the tech specs are at the prices they’re asking for. They have huge margins. They can afford to let us choose both.
They have to think about their stock holders, AAPL would plummet if the parts were made in the US, new factories, higher labour costs and so on, means less profit margins.