Apple Awards $10 Million to COVID-19 Testing Kit Maker From Advanced Manufacturing Fund

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced it is awarding $10 million from its Advanced Manufacturing Fund to COPAN Diagnostics, a market leader in sample collection kits that play a critical role in COVID-19 testing across the United States.

The funding aims to allow COPAN to rapidly accelerate the supply of sample collection kits for hospitals across the U.S., expanding production from several thousand today to more than one million kits per week by early July.

Apple says it will also support COPAN's expansion to a new, larger facility in Southern California that will be built out with advanced equipment that Apple is helping to design.
"We feel a deep sense of responsibility to do everything we can to help medical workers, patients, and communities support the global response to COVID-19," said Jeff Williams, Apple's chief operating officer. "COPAN is one of the world's most innovative manufacturers of sample collection kits for COVID-19 testing, and we're thrilled to partner with them so they can expand as we work to address this critical issue for our nation. I couldn't be prouder of our teams for bringing all of their energy, passion, and innovative spirit to supporting the country's COVID-19 response."

"We're excited to forge this new relationship with Apple, whose teams are already making a huge difference with our efforts to scale up the production of our sample collection and transport kits," said Norman Sharples, CEO of COPAN Diagnostics. "Collection and transport kits are a critical component in the fight against COVID-19. At COPAN, we're excited and grateful for this partnership with Apple as our strong beliefs of innovation, quality, and excellence in manufacturing and design are perfectly aligned. Apple's operational expertise will help us increase delivery of important pre-analytical tools for medical professionals across the country at this critical time."
Apple is sourcing equipment and materials for the project from companies across the U.S., including equipment Apple is helping design from K2 Kinetics, based in York, Pennsylvania, and MWES in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

Apple has donated several million dollars toward the global COVID-19 response, including Global Citizen and America's Food Fund. It has also designed and distributed almost 10 million face shields, sourced over 30 million face masks for healthcare professionals, and developed a COVID-19 exposure notification API for use by public health authorities around the world.

CEO Tim Cook announced Apple's $1 billion Fund for Advanced Manufacturing Jobs in May 2017. The other major benefactor since then has been Corning, the makers of Gorilla Glass).

Article Link: Apple Awards $10 Million to COVID-19 Testing Kit Maker From Advanced Manufacturing Fund

Last edited:

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Thank you Apple for returning investments back into the country where you do business during a crisis and difficult times as you’ve done in the past and today.

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
Why only 10 million when Apple has trillions of dollars?
1)You're going to get torched here by people who say "who are you to decide how much Apple gives to any cause?"

2)Apple has given money to multiple causes to help combat covid19

3)Apple has supplied face shields/masks

4)Apple is likely spreading its donations around. So rather than giving 1 sole company $100 million, it's trying to help combat covid19 from various angles

5)$10 million is actually a pretty sizeable donation to a company. There might be more down the road to this company from Apple. Apple is also helping this company in other ways, too, according to the article.

6)This company might already be receiving other donations/help from other entities

7)Lastly, $10 million might be more than enough to help. Thus, giving more money would be pointless.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
There's no concrete solution to Covid-19 yet, so everyone has to do their part to help--whether it's wearing a mask or staying six feet away from people or doing drive-through food--whatever it takes. In Apple's case, it's donating ten million dollars to a testing kit manufacturer because they have the money and the ability to do that. I sure don't. Good job, Apple. Companies like you make the world a better place to live.

Reactions: LizKat and Itada

TakeshimaIslands

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2020
Why only 10 million when Apple has trillions of dollars?

I agree. why is everyone going crazy when a trillion dollar company releases a pr statement giving a TINY [tax deductible] grant to anther company..

If Steve was alive he would put money where his mouth is and make a REAL difference and get r&d to design and manufacture masks and face shields instead of this virtue signalling propaganda.

I am all for a quick end to the death and suffering from this disgusting virus which originated from wuhan china but i will not be a blind fanboy boot licker worshiping every covid-19 related action from Apple and Lord cook.

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Well let's hope these tests work compared to the reports of tens of thousands of defective tests from China.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree. why is everyone going crazy when a trillion dollar company releases a pr statement giving a TINY [tax deductible] grant to anther company..

If Steve was alive he would put money where his mouth is and make a REAL difference and get r&d to design and manufacture masks and face shields instead of this virtue signalling propaganda.

I am all for a quick end to the death and suffering from this disgusting virus which originated from wuhan china but i will not be a blind fanboy boot licker worshiping every covid-19 related action from Apple and Lord cook.
In your haste to try and criticize Apple and come off like an ungrateful person on this forum, there are some flaws in your critique:
1. This is an Apple website, hence the bias toward Apple. Some posters noted a lot of others are doing their fair share, but MacRumors is primarily and Apple website.
2. You don't know what Steve would have done. He's dead. Notwithstanding maybe you didn't know the Apple shipped it's own PPE to needed places, organizations and people.
3. You don't have to be a blind fanboy, only an open-minded and reasonable individual to see that Apple (amongst others) is doing what it can in terms of materials, people power, hardware, software and money.

Itada

macrumors member
Nice to see Apple using their expertise and money to assist businesses in ramping up the manufacture of much-needed health equipment.

Also a reminder again that it's possible to Ignore users on this forum - very helpful feature, since it's always the same few users jumping into these threads and trying to create toxicity.

• Love
Reactions: iGeneo

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

FYI, Apple doesn't make anything. They design things. My devices don't say made by Apple but Designed by Apple. We already have designs for FaceMasks and Face Shields. We just don't have the local capacity to make them anymore since we shipped all that to China.

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
why is everyone going crazy
No one is going crazy. Apple paid $10M, Macrumors which is a site devoted to Apple reported the news, we're just happy that the company decided to pay $10M to a worthy cause. You also forget that usually these moves from a company like Apple spawn other companies in doing similar things. These $10M might bring over $100M to the cause.

My Ouija board says otherwise. And unless you can prove otherwise, your Ouija board ain't working better than mine.

The usage of words such as "crazy", "boot licker", "worship", "fanboy", "blind" indicates strong bias at the basis of the argument.

incoherent_1

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2016
This is one of those times in human history where people will ask “What did you do to help?”

Some people knit masks for a friend or help a neighbor with groceries, etc.

So happy to see a wealthy company using some of that $ to help the community. Right now, I’ll take that over a stock dividend any day.

Meanwhile, the billion dollar organizations stuffing small business loans in their pockets should be ashamed.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Is this the COVID viral test or the antibodies test?

We need more antibodies tests going forward. Time to understand who had it and never showed symptoms to truly understand how lethal this has been. Currently it's those who feel sick that get tested for the virus and then the rich testing for virus + antibodies.

Antibodies tests have started to show many had this thing but never showed symptoms. Ramp this up.

Reactions: tongxinshe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.