MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced it has awarded $410 million from its Advanced Manufacturing Fund to Pennsylvania-based II-VI, a manufacturer of optical technology.

apple_adv-manufacturing-fund-ii-vi_hero_05052021_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

The funds will help create additional capacity and accelerate delivery of future iPhone components, supporting more than 700 jobs in Sherman, Texas; Warren, New Jersey; Easton, Pennsylvania; and Champaign, Illinois, according to Apple.

II-VI manufactures vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs) that help power Face ID, along with lasers for the LiDAR Scanner:
II-VI manufactures vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs) that help power Face ID, Memoji, Animoji, and Portrait mode selfies. Apple also works with II-VI to manufacture lasers used in the LiDAR Scanner — technology that helps deliver faster, more realistic augmented reality experiences and improves autofocus in low-light scenes in photos and videos.
"We established Apple's Advanced Manufacturing Fund to support American businesses creating next-generation technology and the jobs of tomorrow," said Apple COO Jeff Williams. "II-VI shares our commitment to push the boundaries of innovation and we're proud to be extending our work together across the country."

Apple's Advanced Manufacturing Fund already awarded $390 million to optical supplier Finisar in 2017, and that company has since been acquired by II-VI.

Article Link: Apple Awards $410 Million to Face ID and LiDAR Scanner Supplier II-VI

Last edited:

bwayne

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2021
Laser scanned Animojis. Exactly what the world needs today…… 🤣

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
This is also how Apple makes sure there is capacity for components in their products (because of the scale they basically have to do this to get the numbers they need), but has a tremendous side benefit as the crunch on components is going on.

Razorpit

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2021
Maybe II-IV could use some of these funds to come up with a better name.
The name II-VI Incorporated is a reference to the groups II and VI in the periodic table, since the company started its business by producing cadmium telluride consisting of cadmium which belongs to group II and tellurium which belongs to group VI.

Early on they alloyed it with mercury to make an infrared detector material (HgCdTe). CdTe alloyed with a small amount of zinc makes an excellent solid-state X-ray and gamma ray detector (CdZnTe).

The above was copied and pasted from Wiki, but I‘ve known of this company since the mid 90’s.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2019
Awesome news. Love to see the work done in the US.
While I like that too I want to mention that, as always, this is perhaps more an issue of economics rather than patriotism.

Apple ran the numbers and figured it was cheaper to do it in the US.

Again, I'm glad it worked out that way though.

Reactions: GuruZac

CarpalMac

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
The name II-VI Incorporated is a reference to the groups II and VI in the periodic table, since the company started its business by producing cadmium telluride consisting of cadmium which belongs to group II and tellurium which belongs to group VI.

Beat me to it. 2-6, it is an easily memorable, highly searchable name.

Compared to the likes of Shpock, it is classy and at least meaningful.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
As a current owner of Apple and II-IV, I approve! 😂

Back in 1998 or so my wife and I started working with a financial planner and, among other things, recommended IIVI stock. We bought some but sold it a decade or so ago. I completely forgot they existed. Might just have to buy some more.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I wonder why Apple doesn't consider third-party iOS apps as being eligible.

Especially the ones that represent rare, true Engineering Accomplishments, & especially the ones that bring that to the party & which strictly target iOS (i.e., would be hard to impossible to RE-produce on Android).

Does Tim Cook NOT know that there are UN-Discovered Gem Apps in his "curated" App Store that would give an immediate boost to both APPL's Top & Bottom Lines ?

And specifically, these are the ones where the App Dev has "already" done the manufacturing, & ONLY needs some Coin from AAPL to get the word out.

Also, Apple paid a few hundred Apple Arcade App Devs up-to $3M for each of their Apple Arcade Apps (i.e., to manufacture Game Apps for their new platform), why do they NOT see the parallel in their existing "curated" iOS App Store ?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apple today announced it has awarded $410 million from its Advanced Manufacturing Fund to Pennsylvania-based II-VI, a manufacturer of optical technology.

apple_adv-manufacturing-fund-ii-vi_hero_05052021_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

The funds will help create additional capacity and accelerate delivery of future iPhone components, supporting more than 700 jobs in Sherman, Texas; Warren, New Jersey; Easton, Pennsylvania; and Champaign, Illinois, according to Apple.

II-VI manufactures vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs) that help power Face ID, along with lasers for the LiDAR Scanner:"We established Apple's Advanced Manufacturing Fund to support American businesses creating next-generation technology and the jobs of tomorrow," said Apple COO Jeff Williams. "II-VI shares our commitment to push the boundaries of innovation and we're proud to be extending our work together across the country."

Apple's Advanced Manufacturing Fund already awarded $390 million to optical supplier Finisar in 2017, and that company has since been acquired by II-VI.

Article Link: Apple Awards $410 Million to Face ID and LiDAR Scanner Supplier II-VI

interesting this news debuts just after https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-13-pro-max-dummy-model-depicts-smaller-notch.2294824/ Lew Later drops video of a dummy iPhone 13 featuring smaller notch. curious if this company leaked the model specs?

Still smaller notch = we’ll finally have battery % back in the top right-hand corner of iPhone‘s 13 onward.
- yet that dummy phone highlighted the front camera far TOO much making the notch more noticeable in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.