Apple bands for 1/2 Apple's price

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SHKLMRE, Mar 27, 2015.

1. SHKLMRE macrumors regular

I came across this on Amazon earlier:

http://www.amazon.com/MyCell-Milanese-replacement-Apple-Watch/dp/B00UGHK7SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427503017&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+watch+milaneses

This made me really excited. They offer every Apple band (except the gold ones) for 1/2 the price. Meaning $25 for sport bands, $75 for leather/milanese bands, and $225 for the link bracelet. Hopefully, the quality is just as good, but the lower prices for similar bands is exciting. I'm now getting more excited about the countless possibilities of band combos. I know I already want a black sports band, a milanese loop, and a brown leather loop

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

No way.

They're crappy knockoffs. I'm not going to buy one of these and have it fall off my wrist because I was cheap with the band. Not critical of your enthusiasm... more like worried that you'll be on here later telling everyone that you lost your watch because of a cheap band. :(

I'll wait for the more reputable companies to offer bands, if Apple even allows this to happen, which we really don't know yet.

They aren't even showing the actual product. They swiped those from Apple. That's a bad sign.

3. SHKLMRE thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the bad juju. Just looking forward to more third party bands.

4. Glene macrumors 6502

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why should we trust an outfit that uses Apple's watch images? I'm all for 3rd party bands but not exact replicas of Apple's bands. I hope Apple sues.

6. FlatCable macrumors member

Yep... using Apple's images and all...

Seems legit.

7. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

most likely made from the same production line at Foxconn, I don't see there's anything wrong with it as long as the review is good.

8. trssho macrumors 6502

Might be surprisingly not that bad. I bought a knockoff case for my iPad, and its really great. Though knockoff watch bands may be a different story.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Im skeptical of 3rd party bands. I'm anticipating "aftermarket band scratched up my watch where the band meets the watch" type posts in the near future.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Sorry. When I see reputable companies making bands, I'll respond differently.

I didn't mean to harsh your happy there. I'd hate for you to trust shifty companies.

12. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Why send your money to an unethical company and expect to be happy with the result?

You'll probably receive something, and it might sort of fit an Apple Watch. But if you don't like it, good luck getting your money back.

----------

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's legal folks are quietly ordering samples of all of these bands. Once they have the goods in hand, they'll have plenty of evidence of patent and/or trademark violations. If they can trace the products back to the point of origin into the USA, it will be easy to make life miserable for the importer(s) and have all the inventory held up in customs.

I'm sure these fine, upstanding importers will happily refund all the money they collected from people hoping to score a deal. Not.

13. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I got a 404 error following the link. Think Amazon pulled them for being a blatant counterfeit product?

14. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

15. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

prices are good but I think leather bands will be lower than 50 once everyone gets in the mix.

16. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I figured it out, I had a Chrome extension that wasn't playing nice with the link.

17. SHKLMRE thread starter macrumors regular

that would be great! I'd simply love more affordable bands

18. jwball macrumors regular

If only the images were representative of the final product!

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple's leather and metal bands appear to be made in Europe. Also Quanta is making the :apple:Watch and not Foxconn.;)

20. technosix macrumors 6502a

I believe you're absolutely correct.

This is Amazon we're talking about. Not some kid on eBay.

21. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Uh, how exactly would you expect that to work? Apple's contracted those production lines to make THEIR stuff. Foxconn can't just quietly rent out Apple's tools and moulds and whatnot to some fly-by-night counterfeiter on the side. That would no doubt be multiple contract violations, and illegal as well, even in China.

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

There will be plenty of aftermarket options in time, and some will be better than what Apple offers. I'm looking forward to quality leather straps

23. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

No, it's not Amazon. It's a third party seller on Amazon. So it could be a kid, just like on eBay.

24. chabig macrumors 68040

25. technosix macrumors 6502a

Oh I see, said the blind man :)