Apple Begins Paying $2 Billion in Cash to Nokia as Part of Lawsuit Settlement

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 28, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nokia disclosed its financial results for the second quarter of 2017 this week, and within the results the company mentioned that it received an "up-front cash payment" of approximately EUR1.7 billion ($2 billion), part of which was said to be recognized during the Q2 2017 results. Nokiamob then reached out to Nokia, and the company confirmed that the cash payment came from Apple.

The payment is part of a settlement agreement reached between Apple and Nokia in May of this year, regarding a lawsuit began by Nokia in December 2016. In the original lawsuit, Nokia sued Apple in the United States and multiple other countries, with a complaint that stemmed from a disagreement between the two companies over licensing fees for Nokia technology.

[​IMG]

The legal battle continued to escalate as Apple responded with its own antitrust lawsuit against Nokia. In Apple's claims, the company said that Nokia was transferring patents to patent holding entities in a bid to gain additional royalties from Apple, violating FRAND (Fair, Reasonable, and Non-Discriminatory) deals Apple had established with Nokia.

In the settlement news this past May, the companies agreed to a multi-year patent license deal, where Nokia would provide "certain network infrastructure products and services" to Apple, and Apple would then return all Nokia-owned health products to Apple retail and online stores.

In regards to the $2 billion payment from Apple, Nokia said it would disclose its plans for the money in its Q3 earnings later this year.
    So far, Apple has only partially paid the $2 billion cash sum to Nokia, so besides finishing that payment, Apple will also continue to pay royalties to the company during the term of the agreement.

Article Link: Apple Begins Paying $2 Billion in Cash to Nokia as Part of Lawsuit Settlement

2. X--X macrumors 6502

Wow... Apple's paying the billions left and right.

If they continue this way they'll be bankrupt pretty soon.

3. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

Why innovate when you can just steal? Bad apple

4. Shlooky macrumors regular

Nokia needs to make its year end quota somehow.

5. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Where are all those people who lambasted Nokia for "taking advantage of Apple because Nokia is irrelevant "?

6. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Good artists create.
    Great artists steal.
    -Steve Jobs, quoting someone else...

I guess this is paying Microsoft back after the cash infusion they got back in the 90's.

7. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Yep, by claiming money that's rightly theirs.

8. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

Isn't that $2B coming off the amount of tax they pay Uncle Sam?
    If so then the US Taxpayer is the ultimate loser here?
    IANAL etc

9. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

So this $2BnUS is the FRAND level payment for the technology used in the batch of devices covered. Maybe even a little less to get Nokia tech back in the A-Stores. Best Frienemies Forever.

10. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

They should pay them in pennies. That would be funny.

11. Rettun1 macrumors regular

Lulz yea rite?

Even if they had to pay a settlement like this every year, their current cash hoard allows them to do it for 128 years.

“pretty soon”

12. cfedu Suspended

cfedu

Does this mean that apple is a bigger thief than Samsung since Samsung only had to pay 1 billion for stealing from apple?

13. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Analysts say that at this rate, Apple will be broke just ten years after the earth crashes into the sun.

(Norm Macdonald forever.)

14. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Interesting as it looks on the outside Apple blatantly ripped off Nokia patents. Amazing how many lawsuits Apple are involved. Sometimes it makes you question exactly what Apple have invented.

15. X--X macrumors 6502

Let me help you.

16. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Means that Apple made far far more money off their infringing devices than Samsung did. Had Apple only sold say 1 million iPhones, they'd only have had a payment of around $10k.

17. anaudiopro macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

When I read things like this, lawsuit after lawsuit, it really does make me question my loyalty to Apple. Can anyone who really knows what's going on with all of these continual lawsuits enlighten me about what is really taking place? Hoping someone can make me feel better about being such an Apple loyalist.

18. eldervovichka, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017

eldervovichka macrumors regular

Wasn't this the law suite, where Apple was paying for the royalties, but stopped because Nokia was over charging. Apple said we will pay if you charge fairly. The settlement is just the back payments as they reached the agreements on the new fees going forward. They really did not rip Nokia off, if I am remembering it correctly.

19. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Jerry mcguire 2
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2017 ---
    Itune cards.

20. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

I believe they are currently offering Beats headphones.

21. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

That's Qualcomm. That one has yet to be settled

22. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Yep. Similar to what's currently happening with Qualcomm.

23. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

If you're basing your loyalty to a tech company on ethics you may as well not use any technology at all, my loyalty is based purely on my preference of their operating systems and ecosystem compared to the competitors.

24. mib1800 macrumors 68030

Apple is just a hypocrite cry baby complaining others overcharging when apple is only paying pennies for using those patents. Remember when apple demanded ridiculous sum of $35 to use its shameful "rectangular" patent.

25. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

To me it's really a mess all-around. It would drive me nuts keeping up with all the patents, royalties, and licensing.