Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to breaking ground on a new $1 billion campus in Austin, Texas, Apple today announced that its new Mac Pro is now in production at a nearby facility in the city. The computer is set to launch in December.

Notably, Apple says the Mac Pro units in production in Austin will soon ship to customers "across the Americas," suggesting that the Mac Pro units assembled in Texas will only be shipped to customers in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and other countries across North and South America.

apple-2019-mac-pro-assembly-plant-800x533.jpg

It is possible that Apple plans to assemble the Mac Pro in China for orders placed outside of the Americas, but the company has not commented.

Apple and its manufacturing partners have invested over $200 million in the Mac Pro facility in Austin. The manufacturing plant is UL Zero Waste to Landfill Gold certified, and has been recognized by Austin Water for Excellence in Water Conservation and Excellence in Environmental Stewardship.

The new Mac Pro contains hundreds of components from suppliers in 19 states, including Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont, and Washington.

In a press release, Apple CEO Tim Cook said "building the Mac Pro, Apple's most powerful device ever, in Austin is both a point of pride and a testament to the enduring power of American ingenuity."

The new Mac Pro will be the fastest Mac ever, with up to 28-core Intel Xeon processors, up to 1.5TB of ECC RAM, up to 8TB of SSD storage, and up to AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo graphics with 64GB of HBM2 memory. The computer also has eight PCIe expansion slots for maximum performance, expansion, and configurability.

Apple has yet to announce a specific release date for the new Mac Pro in December. Pricing will start at $5,999.

Article Link: Apple Begins Production of New Mac Pro in Texas, But Distribution Possibly Limited to Americas

Last edited:

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
What a beautiful image :-D

edit to add: they didn't just start production, it's been happening for over a month

edit to also add: Flex may have sunk $200M into that facility over the years but no one spent that specifically for the production of the 2019 Mac Pro at that location. More takes place there than building the Mac Pro

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Apple is like a condescending parent with a spoiled child... They don't really want to make anything in the US, for various reasons, but they have to pretend to be good parents to avoid whining.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

DanBig

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Is it me or is the plant using iMacs hung upside down as some sort of information display at various stations?

View attachment 878207

They do look like 27" iMac's hung upside-down! Very odd the systems cooling was not designed with that orientation in mind.

It does make sense they would have test stations and/or system detailer so the assemblers know what is needed in a given system and the given status of a discreet system.

bitsmith

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
Toronto, Canada
This slow-burn rollout is excruciating. My most critical studio system is a >10 year old OG cheesegrater that is more duct-tape than machine, and with a wonky PSU so we don't dare turn it off on fear it might not come back on again.

The best possible early Christmas gift would be a firm launch date, and some BTO pricing so I can get my financing together for Day-1 orders.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Who are those partners? Flex (née Flextronics)?

Is this the old GT facility?
Flextronics is the only one I’m aware of but the article implies more than just Apple and Flex o_O

re: GT that facility is in Arizona near Phoenix iirc, I think Apple converted it into a data center. I’m too lazy to Google it rn :)

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I'm very happy that the new Mac Pro is being assembled in US..

I currently have an iMac that I bought in 2014 so I'm looking to buy a new iMac Pro in a couple years...

I'd like to see Apple assemble the iMac Pro in the US as well
Or better yet, since Macs are considered more professional grade tools vs iOS devices, It'd be great to see Apple assemble all of their Mac products in the USA.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
It is a $6,000 US + $5,000 US (display) product. Why would they make it in the US and China? The "Americas" are probably getting it first because production is ramping-up. Then eventually Europe, China, et al.

It is good Apple's most powerful computer is made in the US.

Reactions: jjhny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.