Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the iPad mini today, Apple has started running a new television ad for the device that it showed off during the media event last week.

The ad -- entitled 'Piano' -- doesn't have any voiceover; instead, it shows GarageBand running on the full-size iPad playing one hand of the two-hand duet from 'Heart and Soul'. The song is an easy-to-learn piece popular with beginner pianists. Moments later, the iPad mini appears, playing the second part of the duet.

Article Link: Apple Begins Running iPad Mini 'Piano' TV Ad

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
It's definitely a cute advert; I like it a lot more than the Retina MacBook Pro commercials of late.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I just saw this on T.V. and could not stop smiling. I think it's a great ad. Very ummm, cute I guess.. :eek:

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
If I was someone who didn't know what an iPad does, this video makes me think that the iPad is a $329 digital piano.

Everybody knows about the iPad. Apple is exploiting that idea and trying to show something about it.

Moreover, where is that digital piano with a touchscreen on it known as iPad made by Apple?

Everybody is familiar with Apple; and they are just using it to their advantage.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Everybody knows about the iPad. Apple is exploiting that idea and trying to show something about it.

Moreover, where is that digital piano with a touchscreen on it known as iPad made by Apple?

Everybody is familiar with Apple; and they are just using it to their advantage.

Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I actually think this commercial is pretty amazing. Great tune and great overall message too. It almost seems like the iPad is moving over for the iPad mini

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.

Im not sure you understand the point of the ad... It is to show the iPad mini doing the same thing as the iPad and do it in a very cute way. I think it is phenomenal.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Im not sure you understand the point of the ad... It is to show the iPad mini doing the same thing as the iPad and do it in a very cute way. I think it is phenomenal.

Then show more apps! Of course the keyboard application will stay the same for even a smaller screen, how can you redesign it?

Then that leads me to a confusion where I have no idea if the iPad mini does exactly the same thing as the large iPad.

If they showed more apps, I'll be more certain that it does exactly the same thing.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Then show more apps! Of course the keyboard application will stay the same for even a smaller screen, how can you redesign it?

Then that leads me to a confusion where I have no idea if the iPad mini does exactly the same thing as the large iPad.

If they showed more apps, I'll be more certain that it does exactly the same thing.

Everyone is missing the point. Everybody knows what an iPad is and does, not everyone knows there's now a mini version.

The ad is designed to tell the 99% of the population that don't read tech news that the iPad mini exists. That's it, and it does it well.

kavlo26

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2007
I pulled out my iPad and tried to learn those notes! Pretty darn fun. Great ad.

Sweetchilli

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Sydney, Australia

??? are you living in the bizzaro world ?
everyone knows what an iPad does, there showing both doing the same thing, hence... a smaller version that does the same thing, couldnt be more simple.

Best ad they have done in ages! :apple:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
This is, hands down, one of Apple's best ads ever.

Love it!!!

What?? Haven't you seen the 1984 ad? That ad was so good that it deserved a spot in my signature.

----------

I don't like it. The fingers look too animated/fake. I'm pretty sure it's just a green screen effect, and they didn't do a very good job of hiding it. It looks totally fake.

By the way, you can connect Bluetooth and wired keyboards to iPads. Can you use them in Garageband for iOS the same way you can use them in Garageband for Mac, as a musical keyboard?

----------

??? are you living in the bizzaro world ?
everyone knows what an iPad does, there showing both doing the same thing, hence... a smaller version that does the same thing, couldnt be more simple.

Best ad they have done in ages! :apple:

No. Trust me, not everyone does. I went to an Apple store once and saw a lady poking Safari on the dock of an iMac, complaining that the computer was not loading it. Seriously, she wasn't kidding.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.