Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The ad is designed to tell the 99% of the population that don't read tech news that the iPad mini exists. That's it, and it does it well.

I thought 99% of the population couldn't afford anything? ;)

----------

There's a lame piano app, but no native YouTube app smh :mad:

There is a native YouTube app. If you ever really used YouTube, you'd know about it because they kinda shout it at you when you visit YouTube.com on an iOS device.

Apple even gave it some special privileges, to my surprise, allowing it to take over the position of the YouTube player. That is, if you view a YouTube video in Safari, it takes you to the app to watch it.

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Without the wide bezel, the iPad Mini looks almost widescreen! But of course we know it's not.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Oh jeez, even these tech nerds lingering on internet forums doesn't get it?

This ad means that iPad mini can do exactly what an iPad bigi can do.

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No. Trust me, not everyone does. I went to an Apple store once and saw a lady poking Safari on the dock of an iMac, complaining that the computer was not loading it. Seriously, she wasn't kidding.

That's clearly a lady who DOES know what an iPad is. (But not an iMac.)

Way to disprove your own point by showing that even the world's most ignorant woman still knows what an iPad is.

----------

Then show more apps! Of course the keyboard application will stay the same for even a smaller screen, how can you redesign it?

Then that leads me to a confusion where I have no idea if the iPad mini does exactly the same thing as the large iPad.

If they showed more apps, I'll be more certain that it does exactly the same thing.

The last time I watched a Coke ad they showed people drinking it in a park.

I got really confused. Can I drink Coke in a restaurant? Can I drink it with tacos? Or what about hamburgers?

The confusion I suffered from that has caused me to swear off all sodas. Because, really, who can tell how to use them with such un-specific ads!

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
I thought 99% of the population couldn't afford anything? ;)

----------

There is a native YouTube app. If you ever really used YouTube, you'd know about it because they kinda shout it at you when you visit YouTube.com on an iOS device.

Apple even gave it some special privileges, to my surprise, allowing it to take over the position of the YouTube player. That is, if you view a YouTube video in Safari, it takes you to the app to watch it.

There is no native YouTube app for iOS 6, which the iPad Mini runs.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Fantastic ad. Reminds me of the piano scene from the movie "Big." Which, I'm guessing, is intentional.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.

Don't worry, your wife will love the dual core Tegra 2 chipset!

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Purely musically spoken this ad is a bit of a fraud, because somewhere midway the ad (when the fingers are no longer visible) you suddenly hear extra piano notes (chords) that never could have been played by the two fingers.

wickedny5

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
How did conan get his hands on the commercial a week early? Apple posted it Nov 2 and i Just saw the commercial today on TV. But Conan posted his skit on Oct 25.

Check it out: http://youtu.be/iJtS8201qNc

Last edited:

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
What?? Haven't you seen the 1984 ad? That ad was so good that it deserved a spot in my signature.

----------

I don't like it. The fingers look too animated/fake. I'm pretty sure it's just a green screen effect, and they didn't do a very good job of hiding it. It looks totally fake.

By the way, you can connect Bluetooth and wired keyboards to iPads. Can you use them in Garageband for iOS the same way you can use them in Garageband for Mac, as a musical keyboard?

----------

No. Trust me, not everyone does. I went to an Apple store once and saw a lady poking Safari on the dock of an iMac, complaining that the computer was not loading it. Seriously, she wasn't kidding.

mmm...she atleast knew its a computer she was poking at :p

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Purely musically spoken this ad is a bit of a fraud, because somewhere midway the ad (when the fingers are no longer visible) you suddenly hear extra piano notes (chords) that never could have been played by the two fingers.

I know thats weird, its like the guy playing it had more than 2 fingers. /sarcasm

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
When MacRumors first loaded for me, instead of the iPad commercial I got this:

500 Internal Server Error

Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.

If you see them, show them this information:
IqJU26aGwRZu1PPCOL1ioZYibMyfm2yRk0dF1st8AcSh3sBkW6MTn6n-iYoH
RTYml7XIBU-x8OQ7_w0it-Fd1ac5emT7w4CyvCwHJNNSW_sXsjbSQO1sM9ZS
F7RRuSO_4tF2q1Rp4PNAk2jNgNlBOI2-xF1x9oyIuVHYT3tNeuTRzCOHGzzr
qzTf8Nhl8GFxE-SpHrfjt9L5HjdslWbZxs3RwM_h4m-73scRvt3vkSyDYzs0
yB8g9US89B88g88_Z1B-C9CRtcJGVUsd7Sv37aEM8MiHQSp3AsfN86PG0pEC
F2EFz-WM_pbTkS53VokB7bCkYgefGpspnc1iPxu0ttVUlPrVqRrJCSw0WGIw
_kNDhP1KmWCUOV2NEfLtzom9OMiWVBnPNRTmrwibZ3IqF3JTVmm8GFHOnX7u
n8HgaMR_kjalYhhYqc_eoopivHjUK21AAuUMIbo0ZxfzcH4B9l6hMsEajlVD
-J4yiafXQF5jLv0YW8PbOAvixmwpXPIStNJUUNpJZzwRhPmdQLLb99Ycx9q8
I9MU8Ay_7XMTWy5BWg3n4c1wRp3W_Cxq00kBx2PFpKcea5B3BiA-IGOepnzk
9ILiQnmAsfvR-S2rX1HHkglh9iV80zPlWmXuLS-R-rVWkG0_KS1lhD4kSw7a
hmsb-mzlBto3Mo-t03XxxQc24auDroXttAwcFUOKqMV2KDiCKbnbjlNBrSsd
LqmnuW-KELNTDM4u-DgpEVJ-DZz0IENeq11MSz7p1vDPejZqNxSq9PIpQFTC
F8PMsb0wjpZhtBtQdBiU6ajR7GposKZhsvrIdcretAdadnpiXu6Ky4chiA_A
6AXgolWw7WslywDAqCXl53b0LJTI6LxkFlLYYeL52BnC4kiJ5SP8GlS1BGJR
bF945lKyFUvmQQu8xlvRJfSprs7OdzG3NI3rD446cm5S80oomT1yoDO4vPo-
vq39KZNCphK0EYEHhqsn9aip8EFIKSBnyFl_8x-zDxMrRepD-vCb-ABfZzXz
f82cUiiyhhwS6Crx9nUJ2uPWo5JiEx1gh964BFlokQvP2uqTNnp894qCa6n1
ZZC5U9yP-EzaN3f1YhAm3zzwQoEUeiwUgGnJH-HywWCh-ErwANRpTbKsIPfC
i3fZ5YFawdCMFYKXgfZJwSh7e139B5IMfXSkDjwhwb04x3uIxO3XG0-83dCJ
f0sdYJCp6WTXRyxlbHxuyFs8fna5erzOmvq6C_jqx4-ZWDVCKd0iov2pG7Sm
DZZwXo0WqqHQfdOf454NF1EzLRBfhFsD6uhlQKaVfbFwuzZ-TWmoRzCTTmOz
Xe3V15MAH-80TgD072BuyrwZsaWWmQB_RWbUPKV96r7hXa4JpQHrvI0-4_14
zIBp_oHxmh7L2sAJPEzz2I3Dq9qtAOIa96YZF8gRKwgqeBSNmOtkQtR2zYmG
mUxJ-39jEJUWsbkXDZKSOMS0jVdPTPkw5HeWGnF66osrY9fkFVauUvHIpkoo
OurVkqaJYs_atCjOKtnJ6OQauzG8OKPFVAIzpLtJAKhd_p36-na-4xvtxws0
_mCoXTFJFCebWPfxacmKnqDicqU84ryZ8nbUJEwaKk5bfUcY4gieBQCwpdrF
UfD4FpXAEDFBBv0z57-PgqPJ_oklo4Oorh-urB-J84TE-3FZSNqEEqdx8KcZ
ePWGTvVPVVTtn_sacb8eb5l9hke89FegIjbQ7ckpUo764hhYkFotgc4VSron
LBOzms5il50Sf9xudK-UNxTnRCJ31ZUBhRZHrzbTVJHpGkeBwr_MM5_B_-Aj
6xoSDSkJKZRncxb4A2TM-wM_6lAb3RJIr3Jpg87JUOPrp4T9lN3bfmEjEt_g
O7kEj8zY1zbExhaW6nHeNSXsDMUPee9ZkMPHdfhqTSmvikw912mwAwSd5QZ3
IqGFOAr5_wfvauNxGBid6w8sk1izOQNIexnfCHT4q4DLHDdkzpZd4RQOT0RN
1_PgxRMK1YWnQp_4AVDCXHah1bWqsyWIZk1HzHecVxBsOXw=

:)

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
When MacRumors first loaded for me, instead of the iPad commercial I got this:

500 Internal Server Error

Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.

That's a YouTube error.

----------

That's clearly a lady who DOES know what an iPad is. (But not an iMac.)

Way to disprove your own point by showing that even the world's most ignorant woman still knows what an iPad is.

----------

The last time I watched a Coke ad they showed people drinking it in a park.

I got really confused. Can I drink Coke in a restaurant? Can I drink it with tacos? Or what about hamburgers?

The confusion I suffered from that has caused me to swear off all sodas. Because, really, who can tell how to use them with such un-specific ads!

I rarely LOL because I'm a guy in my 30s, not a 14 year old girl on Facebook, but that made me LOL. The perfect combination of sarcasm and point. My favorite kind of post.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Everybody knows about the iPad.......Everybody is familiar with Apple; and they are just using it to their advantage......

Agreed! Unless they've been under a rock for the last 10 years or so.

Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano. That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.....

To my mind, the gist of the ad is, that the smaller iPad works just the same way, and is just as versatile, fun, capable, .......... you fill in the blank, as the larger one, but just a bit, um....smaller, and therefore probably a bit cheaper. No words required.....Brilliant advertising. Kudos to that advertising agency!

Last edited:

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
EVERYone knows what the IPad does.

You would think, however I have run into some people (that are not ninety) that really know nothing or very little of what the iPad can do, shocking I know, how do they miss these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.