Apple Begins Selling Certified Refurbished 16-Inch MacBook Pro Models

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Ever since Apple "refurbished" their Refurbished site, it is terribly bad to navigate and find what you want.

Even sorting by price does not work and the prices are all scrambled. It used to be so easy to see all the included specs for each unit and now you cannot see that without looking at each one individually.
It looks to me like there are some bugs in how it's implemented and also that the current day use case outgrew their originally designed use case. While the bugs are annoying, they're not bad enough that they're going to devote time and resources to fixing them right away.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
If you need a bunch of Macs for something like a training course, buy direct from Apple. Send them back at the end of the week. We do it all the time.
I seriously doubt that, your company must have a leasing or some other agreement with Apple.
- - Post merged: - -

This just makes me more annoyed the 13-in MBP hasn’t been updated.
Now that they have the 16" in the refurbished, maybe there coming out with Newer 16" and taking what they learned from the 16" and applying it to the 13"

Metrosey

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2019
I think it's time Apple offered a longer warranty than three years. There should be the possibility to have a five year warranty on these. At least, if you spec out a custom build with i9 or a larger SSD.

I currently don't have a MBP - does anyone know how much the trade in is for MBP 2016 bought in early 2017?
I too would like a longer warranty, I think the standard one year warranty isn't enough (although we do get longer in the UK) and that's putting it nicely. We should be getting 2-3 years standard warranty on these devices with Apple Care extending it to 5 years. Apple Care is currently almost giving you the 'should be' standard warranty (only in terms of length).

jesus man.
for real?

If I were doing that I wouldn’t broadcast it proudly on a forum
Not only that, it ends up putting the price up for all us and isn't entirely great in terms of the environmental impact.

VPRunner

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
I seriously doubt that, your company must have a leasing or some other agreement with Apple.

Now that they have the 16" in the refurbished, maybe there coming out with Newer 16" and taking what they learned from the 16" and applying it to the 13"
I wish

polishpanda

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2020
Just bought one. $600 off a 2.4GHz, 64GB, 2TB, 8GB 5500 GPU. Honestly with the shipping estimates on new machines right now, I'm pretty happy that I'm getting this thing tomorrow.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yikes! They're still enormously expensive.
There’s not much of a cost savings for refurbished. But the direct advantage to buying refurbished, Apple has a fairly stringent process that these MacBooks have to endure in order to be ready for sale. They’re probably more inspected as a refurbished device than they would be factory new, as multiple test(s) is conducted before being sold.

Reactions: martyjmclean

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
It's fast for a refurb. I tend to think it's the 64-bit problem. I know a lot of people hanging onto their old CS6 installs, and they'll never upgrade since then they'd have to move to Adobe cc.
There's a great software company, called Serif, who make software quite like that of Adobe's and they only charge you for it ONCE. EVER. What a concept.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68020
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
You have to look at the base models if you want reasonable pricing, all those other ones are jacked up for some reason.

They're not terrible, but sales tax drives them up so much that I'd rather just buy them new from someone out of state.
Apple gives a 15% discount on every single refurbished Mac, the prices are retail minus 15%. The 2.4GHz/32GB/2TB/8GB 5500M retails for $3899, so the refurbished price is going to be $3319, etc, etc.

Reactions: Detnator

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
It's fast for a refurb. I tend to think it's the 64-bit problem. I know a lot of people hanging onto their old CS6 installs, and they'll never upgrade since then they'd have to move to Adobe cc.
Not really. It’s 3 months since it came out. That’s usually when they start. Plus there weren’t many, since they are gone now.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
All I did was create a VMware fusion drive with an old version of Mac OS and installed CS5 on that. When I need to work on stuff I just drag the files into the virtual drive. Works well..granted I'm not a power user or anything.

Reactions: KPOM

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Funny I just decided I can’t live without a laptop after changing jobs and was just looking at these online. Didn’t realize they were newly added.

If they had WiFi 6 it would be an easier call. Don’t want to buy such a freaking expensive computer that will last me 6 years with last-gen wireless. Kinda want to wait and see if the 14” has WiFi 6 and AMD CPU. I think since I have a good desktop, something a little lighter and more portable would be fine for mobility. Want at least six cores and 32GB RAM. If I can’t get that on the 14” then I’ll go all out for the 16” with 8 cores and 64GB RAM. Don’t think I can wait until autumn as bad as I want to. Gah! Maybe I could just buy a used older MBP to get by for this year and resell it? I hate the idea of buying a laptop only a year after my desktop. Prefer to alternate cycles replacing one and then the other every 3 years for six year lifespans.

Reactions: martyjmclean

ionutc

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2017
Timisoara, Romania
TBH I don't get this 'Apple listened to the people' spiel on this 16'' laptop. It's newer, better CPU (every year there's a better CPU so yeah), somewhat better cooling, a bigger battery although the same battery life and a slightly better keyboard. Went to the store like an hour ago and compared the 16'' with the new 13'' and it's just a little better for typing as the keys have a bit more travel distance. Maybe more reliable and better for people that type a lot, but it doesn't feel that much different. I think the 2016 butterfly keyboard had manufacturing issues, I had it replaced at some point with a newer one. The guys at the repair shop were convinced these new ones don't have the same issues.

So yeah, newer, bigger, better, but not by that much. Maybe with that escape key it starts to feel right for some people, but not the revolution some folks portray it to be. Every update there's this guy that won't get it because of reason X or those guys that buy it because they need a computer and that's the one on sale.

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I love mine, most likely that people are not updating to the 64bit OS. Which is stupid. You are going to have to upgrade some time. Bite the bullet and upgrade.
It’s a great machine

Couldn’t be any happier with the base model.

TBH I don't get this 'Apple listened to the people' spiel on this 16'' laptop. It's newer, better CPU (every year there's a better CPU so yeah), somewhat better cooling, a bigger battery although the same battery life and a slightly better keyboard. Went to the store like an hour ago and compared the 16'' with the new 13'' and it's just a little better for typing as the keys have a bit more travel distance. Maybe more reliable and better for people that type a lot, but it doesn't feel that much different. I think the 2016 butterfly keyboard had manufacturing issues, I had it replaced at some point with a newer one. The guys at the repair shop were convinced these new ones don't have the same issues.

So yeah, newer, bigger, better, but not by that much. Maybe with that escape key it starts to feel right for some people, but not the revolution some folks portray it to be. Every update there's this guy that won't get it because of reason X or those guys that buy it because they need a computer and that's the one on sale.
The speakers are bonkers. The cooling has helped with battery life. Screen is bigger. (Hopefully) no reliability issues with the keyboard.

Every complaint about the older models?

Addressed.

Except for maybe price!

Reason enough not to buy for the foreseeable future. Keyboard notwithstanding...
I don’t get all this handwringing about Catalina, unless perhaps you’ve had a problem or serious problems yourself.

perhaps all the Youtubers that reviewed the laptop for the views then returned it to save $$$!
I wonder how many of them with less than like a million subs return the gear.

I bet it’s a fair #.

Last edited:
Reactions: Detnator

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
I think it's time Apple offered a longer warranty than three years. There should be the possibility to have a five year warranty on these. At least, if you spec out a custom build with i9 or a larger SSD.
I wonder why they haven't offered that possibility yet. Services are getting more and more important for the company, and Apple Care is one of them. They could give a customer the possibility to renew AC every year until the machine is considered "obsolete" or for at least 5 years. I think I'd buy it, as laptops are really expensive to repair