Apple Begins Selling Certified Refurbished 16-Inch MacBook Pro Models

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
This just makes me more annoyed the 13-in MBP hasn’t been updated.
It's annoying, but the 13" update will be a tough sell as it will be hopelessly overpriced compared to comparable premium PC's.

It's highly unlikely to be priced any less than the current 13" which is £1799 for the baseline 28w model. Throw in Apple Care and you're looking at 2 grand before you bump the spec up. It's just an outrageous rip off. Macs are not worth the price anymore, especially with that POS operating system.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2014
Here's my conspiracy theory: Apple Refurb products ARE brand new products at a discount.

I've bought a few off there and there is no way these things were used before.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Here's my conspiracy theory: Apple Refurb products ARE brand new products at a discount.

Dude, you may be onto something -- no conspiracy theory involved.

But the discount is not significant, given the over-pricing off retail. Limited to 15% off, at best.

You can get that discount, and much more, from online retailers (such as , B&H) if waiting, given a tat of patience, for end-of-year sales (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Super Saturday).

Add the no-sales-tax to those that live on taxed states (I am hit with 6% overcharge), and the discount zooms by 6 or more percent, in my case.

The only risk, if there is one to consider, is that there is no 15-day, no-questions-asked, return window.

But other than that, all aces, from my own experiences.

persuasiveghost

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2018
This 16'' MBP has been a total redemption in the MBP line. The typing experience and physical ESC key have made this a much better laptop. Very happy with how this thing feels and haven't had a problem with it since launch.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
All I did was create a VMware fusion drive with an old version of Mac OS and installed CS5 on that. When I need to work on stuff I just drag the files into the virtual drive. Works well..granted I'm not a power user or anything.
I created a Mojave VM in Parallels with only my 32-bit apps, just in case I need them, but so far haven’t needed to. Given how long it’s been since most apps went 64-bit, on the quad-core and higher Macs VMs work well enough.
- - Post merged: - -

Most of them are returns during the 14-day window, so virtually indistinguishable from brand new.

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
I would be so much more excited about every single MacBook in the lineup if you could swap in your own NVMe drives.

V_Man

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2019
There’s not much of a cost savings for refurbished. But the direct advantage to buying refurbished, Apple has a fairly stringent process that these MacBooks have to endure in order to be ready for sale. They’re probably more inspected as a refurbished device than they would be factory new, as multiple test(s) is conducted before being sold.
Really? I see so many posts here about subpar refurbs being given out. At least phones. Scratches dings dents

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008

insited

macrumors newbie
Are we to infer they were actually fixed?

...or that TimCo DGAF and they are just pawning them off in hopes of finding a more tolerant consumer to stick the problem onto?
Yeah honestly...it's a total dogact considering the price of the particular models affected (top spec). Not admitting it, leaving customers in return loops, selling returns as refurbs. Original purchasers getting refurbs back without the discount. Refurb purchasers scoring a discount minus the headache.

insited

macrumors newbie
Yeah like 2015 - 2019 butterly keyboard macbooks being on instant recall on receipt/sale. 2019 16" macbook pro with 8GB AMD 5500M have a large enough faulty batch for me to be on my 3rd faulty one and a lot of forum posts about it. Catalina also causing reboots during sleep on macs with T2 chip, especially newer machines that can't downgrade from Catalina. Even $xx,xxx mac pros are affected by that last one.

The whole situation makes new macOS and related devices unusable for professional work. How they are editing tv shows for Apple TV+ and getting apps coded for iOS is beyond me. Greed and gaslighting their clientelle isn't a fun situation.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I’m sort of surprised they haven’t started a practice of only offering refurbished models to education customers...

Built in market looking for discounts
Apple has moved in the opposite direction, over the past x years they've curtailed the edu discount. They're not looking to grow their customer base, but maximize their profits

Reactions: martyjmclean

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
Apple has moved in the opposite direction, over the past x years they've curtailed the edu discount. They're not looking to grow their customer base, but maximize their profits
That's sort of why I'm surprised they haven't made even more money off EDU by squeezing them..

Lower discount % + only offering them refurb models