Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2018 13-Inch MacBook Pro Models in United States and Canada

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has added 2018 models of the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to its refurbished store in the U.S. for the first time. Prices are discounted by roughly 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new models.

[​IMG]

A refurbished base model with a 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 256GB of flash storage, 8GB of RAM, and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 is available for $1,529 in the United States, reflecting savings of $270 off Apple's regular price of $1,799. Available finishes include Silver and Space Gray.

A refurbished maxed-out model with a 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 2TB of flash storage, 16GB of RAM, and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 is available for $3,139 in the United States, reflecting savings of $560 off Apple's regular price of $3,699. This configuration is currently limited to Space Gray.

A variety of other models, including built-to-order configurations, are currently available. Quantities are limited, however, so we recommend acting fast or using Refurb Tracker to monitor when inventory is replenished.

Apple says refurbished MacBook Pro models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged, including the manuals and cables included in the box. In our view, a refurbished MacBook Pro is virtually indistinguishable from a brand new model, so this represents a good opportunity for savings.

Note that third-party resellers sometimes offer better deals than Apple's refurbished prices, so be sure to monitor our deals roundup.

A refurbished MacBook Pro comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the notebook is delivered. The warranty can be extended to three years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for Mac, which costs $269 for the the 13-inch MacBook Pro in the United States.

Apple has also added refurbished 2018 models of the 13-inch MacBook Pro to its Canadian store, also at a 15 percent discount.

Update: 15-inch models are now available as well.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2018 13-Inch MacBook Pro Models in United States and Canada

2. betterbegood macrumors regular

betterbegood

That's cool. Now we just need them to fix the keyboard.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4 years and I still get the same 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage. The price is higher too.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

And the price.

5. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Oh these must be the new Macs everyone's been predicting!

6. Soterman macrumors newbie

Soterman

Personally, I would never buy a refurbished product. Each and every refurbished Apple product I owned (five iPhones, two Macbook Pros) was either faulty from the very first moment or broke down soon after I got. I think that their 'testing' process cannot detect many flaws...

7. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Have only bought refurbished Macs from apple for 20+ years and have never had a problem

8. Lucas284 macrumors newbie

I don't trust refurbished products. Never will.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

So cynical here. Just get a Windows machine.

People forget they are paying for software, user experience, security and support when buying Apple products. All you hardware comparers are missing the point.

10. cardfan macrumors 65816

I usually just use an education discount since wife is a teacher. But kind of have no desire for that kb so I'll remain happy with 2015 mbp with my glowing logo on back.

11. tromboneaholic, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

tromboneaholic macrumors 68030

tromboneaholic

I bought a refurbished iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 with NVDIA GPU) when I saw Apple switch to AMD video cards, and it's still my main machine for video editing.

I upgraded my refurbished 2011 MacBook Pro to 16GB RAM and swapped out the spinning HD for an SSD. Aside from being too old to install Mojave, it's still running just fine.

12. lazard macrumors 68000

13. xxray macrumors 6502a

If I were buying a new MacBook, I’d get a refurbished one. The prices are crazy high for brand new and Apple has one of the best refurbished policies and quality control.

14. tromboneaholic macrumors 68030

tromboneaholic

With the same warranty as new.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Honest to God, the 13" Pros with Retina display are the worst laptops I have owned. The only reason for this is that the GPU is still not powerful enough to drive the retina display. I see that damn spinning beach ball more times a day than I care to count, and I am only using Safari and the office suite. I never had this issue with the Air line or the 15" line. I am specifically talking about the Pros since the redesign.

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Only Apple would have the nerve to sell a computer with integrated graphics, used, for over three thousand dollars.

17. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

I have my eye on these but honestly my cMBP with the upgrades I have done still works well; and with the lack up updates the mac line has gotten, it actually holds its own against some of the lower end newer models pretty well.. aside from the terrible display, it's still a great machine.

18. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

19. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

If u r interested in this deal plz buy apple care, got a refurb 15 from apple and for 3 years it gave me hell, apple finally replaced it after sending in for repair 4 times

20. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

That is Innovation - the plain white boxes now have text on them.... WOW!

21. kakinc macrumors newbie

I am actually considering returning my MacBook Pro 15 2018.
    The fullscreen video playback glitches out. (short multi coloured line popping in and out every so often.)
    To test this, just playback some youtube video in safari in fullscreen mode.

*Tried with my friends MBP 15 2018, they all do this. And Googling it reveal people having this issues from the beginning of release. Don't know if Apple is ever gonna fix it. If not fix soon, I am returning it before its too late.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If we’re talking anecdotes then I’ve had the opposite experience. Almost every new Apple product I’ve had has had an issue, save the Apple Watch Series 3. All of the refurbished devices I’ve owned haven’t had an issue yet and I’ve bought a lot of refurbs.

23. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Funny, I have mostly only bought refurb and recommended to at least 10 people over years. none have one problem with a refurbed by apple product.

24. cardfan macrumors 65816

The prices are crazy high for used hardware. I can usually buy new for less. Depends on the deal or I want a custom configuration. I’d still prefer a consumer Mac Pro that I can build off of. Use my own monitor etc. I really don’t want either mbp or iMac. What’s the purpose of an all in one when you need usb hubs, speakers, and have cords running everywhere.

25. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I only ever had a problem with a refurb iMac which blew the PSU and HD after a few months. Apple fixed no questions asked. All my other dozens experience with refurbs have been top notch to the extent that I would never buy brand new Apple products in most cases.