Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2018 MacBook Air and Mac Mini Starting in Europe

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Maybe it's the recycled aluminium?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    I could care less about the packaging, honestly, as long as I can save some of that astronomical price point.

2. Joniz macrumors member

Any whyzit when I use Apple’s own Apple Store app, I don’t see any of these, but when I go to their website, there’s suddenly all these refurbs available?

I guess if they were a trillion dollar company, they’d get this stuff straight.

3. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

I think it makes sense to wait perhaps six months to get a few hundred bucks off a refurb. The problem with refurbs is the inconsistency of availability.

4. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

They said it's normal, didn't they?

Business as usual. Sell it to some unsuspectin sucker

5. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

Yeah, that is pretty sad.

6. Trumpy macrumors member

Trumpy

Other than Macrumors getting a piece (which is good), would it be better to buy a refurbished Air from Apple or a new one from B&H? I know there is a price difference, but if its from Apple, is that more advantageous?

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Seems like a nice racket Apple have going. Sell some products at ridiculously high prices, and should they be returned, sell those at still a modestly high price. Win win

8. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Shows how many returns they’ve had.

I would be slightly tempted by a 16GB machine but not by the inconvenience of having to likely return it due to one of the numerous documented problems.

What’s the refund policy on refurbs?

9. Val-kyrie, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Come one! Come all! Step right up and get your quirky QWERTY, a T2 from the future causing general panic and mayhem for TB3 models, and in”flex”ible screens displays.

10. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Most of these probably aren't actually refurbs, just new products in the plain boxes available for 15% cheaper.

11. Norbs12 macrumors 6502

Norbs12

Seemed fast to me. I sometimes wonder if Apple is actually selling refurbished products or if they're simply finding a way to make more sales to people who would not buy at normal price points. Refurbished products always look pristine.

12. marclondon macrumors 6502

Just priced a couple of Minis - looks like they are applying the same 10% off as the educational discount in the UK. As I can get the ed discount no point in going refurb.

13. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

The refurbished MacBook Air models will start at $1,019 in the United States when they become available to order. That is a discount worth passing over, as authorized resellers such as Amazon and B&H are currently offering the 2018 MacBook Air brand new in box for $999, a savings of $200.

Wait, what? Refurbished Mac Air sells at a higher price than a new one sold at BH and Amazon, a saving of $200. It is actually $20, not $200.

14. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Bending it back to semi straightness and sell it.

15. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Not as clean of course as a refurb directly from Apple, but I did pick up an open-box 2018 Mini i5/256gb from Best Buy today at lunch time. Got it for $750 because of a big scratch on the top, but came with the box and everything else perfect. Geek Squader said its tested and perfect functionally. If so, I can live with a scratch while saving $350 off the retail. I'll fire it up tonight after work.

That said...any good way to fix a scratch on a Mac Mini? :)

16. TVreporter macrumors regular

TVreporter

They took a measly $50 off a used Mac
    Mini - that’s far from modest!

17. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Which configuration are you referring to? Apple discounts Refurbished units 15% as a matter of course, so I would be interested to know which one is only $50 off.

18. rpe33 macrumors regular

Yes! I was waiting for the new MBA to be available in the refurbished store. Definitely picking up one of those bad boys!

19. shanmugam, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

shanmugam macrumors 68020

This is Great Apple Marketing/Pricing strategy - the model everyone really wants is 512GB which you can NOT find in other retailers (they only sell 128GB/256GB). Macmall or BH might have the BTO model orders but rarely on Sales. So if you want discount for 512GB SSDs Macs only way to find apple refurbished.

Penny wise Dollar foolish
    ================

1. Not including any kind of adapter in the USB-C MacBook/Air/Pros every since the launch

2. Touch bar not making it to any of the newer MacBook(s) ~ and asking for high prices, touch bar should be dropped if it is a failure and bring back the Macs to average prices

3. Removing every replaceable parts - RAM/SSDs, one by one but keeping the base storage as 128GB and RAM as 8GB for many higher end configuration

4. Charging arms and legs for storage upgrades saying they are fastest SSD available in the world (and pairing them with 5W/7W Intel CPU/Integrated GPUs)

the list goes on and on...

old
    "[we] have to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose."

new
    "[we] have to let go of this notion that for iPad Pro to win, Macs has to lose."

Apple's little recession is good, hope Apple does a spring cleaning of the some products and pricing strategy, oh well they have $200+ billion cash, it might need couple of recession(s)!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    All the signs (sales, discounts, refurbished product lineup) are pointing to good Q2 - sales numbers, it will definitely beat the forecast. 50 or 45 days to go.

Really hope Apple reevaluate the pricing strategy with March 2018 event - good time to let go old products and announce new products and price adjust accordingly

20. MacManiac1 macrumors regular

MacManiac1

That’s a deep secret at Apple.

21. Ruskes macrumors regular

Ruskes

Interesting !
    So Apple has so many "Refurbished" to start a business.

22. FairlyKors macrumors member

FairlyKors

For only 15% off it had better be new or indistinguishable. Any possible trace of dirt, grime, misuse or abuse and Apple would have to sell their refurbished products at 30% to 50% like everyone else.

I’ve seen this MBA on sale for $999 many times since launch—so to see it sell refurbished for a higher price just looks stingy on Apple’s part.

But somis charge over $1000 for a computer with specs that don’t match it’s iPad Pro. The dual core processors they have in these MBA’s are essential the very same processor that it out in Microsoft’s Surface Pro 6.

In a tablet it’s an impressive CPU. But in a laptop? Even if all you wanted it for was browsing the web and word processing (which better be all, you’re expecting from it) the 128GB standard SSD is a bad joke. It’s on par with offer 2GB of RAM standard.

For me, the equation with Apple is very simple. For a 50% to 125% premium over an equivalent PC I expect the Mac to have a much better design, better reliability and absolutely nothing less than equivalent hardware specs. I think this is fair to expect for the average 2X price premium.

But when Apple can’t deliver, either in the form of inferior components—like the web cam, or an anemic dual-core tablet processor in a laptop, or ridiculous (i.e. UNWORKABLE base specs—like a 128GB SSD), the whole house of cards collapses and it takes Apple’s “premium” status with it.

Apple has been granted a license to charge an unheard of markup for its products, so rule number one should be, don’t cut corners and under deliver. If for a 2X premium the computer isn’t even on par with the $600 PC.... forget it.

23. Miat macrumors 6502a

Nothing on the Australian refurb site, except 2014 Minis at the same price they were before the release of the 2018 Mini. :mad:

24. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

MacBook Air is too expensive at full price. Should be £999 new.

25. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

The whole Ram debacle was very misleading. I’m assuming that many users were intimidated about tearing down their brand new machines.