Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2018 MacBook Air and Mac Mini Starting in Europe

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. apolloa macrumors G4

Hmm I was interested in the Mini, but it is overpriced, I don’t think the tiny amount of money taken off in the refurb store helps.
    The more I look into what I want in a new Mac, the more it seems the iMac is the only decent option, but the only new model that’s any good is the Pro, otherwise it’s not worth the new cost (not that the iMac Pro is either) but a second hand 2017 iMac could be? The iMac Pro demands sky high prices second hand still.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 ---
    But then it makes the iPhone look expensive, because it is. I think that’s why the pricing is as it is, so you can’t go look an entire laptop for the price of a phone..

2. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

All webcams are complete crap, but Apple laptop webcams excel spectacularly at being top crap. Taped mine and forgot about it. Waiting for the day when Einstein junior is born and uses his 250 IQ to put a smartphone camera onto a MacBook Pro.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I would have bought new but my buddy works for Apple so I got another discount. Otherwise I would have gone new

There is no advantage to buying directly from Apple. You can add on applecare any time within the first 60 days off owning the machine regardless of the retailer

4. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

What do you think other companies do with returned electronics? Throw them in the trash?

5. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

Now it's time to know if it's worth over buying with 10% student discount.

6. satchmo macrumors 68000

Yeah, i wish a new Mac mini was a few hundred dollars cheaper. But, I don’t think there’s anyway around it. Getting into any Mac these days will cost you a tidy sum. The good thing as you’ve mentioned, is that they hold their value. And for the most part, they will last you a good 4-5 years before needing to upgrade.

I’m hedging my bets on a newly redesigned iMac this year. Of course it will come with an even higher price point. While the current one is more than adequate for most, I find its beginning to look a bit dated.

7. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

Student discounts only apply when purchasing new, they won't work in the refurb store.

8. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

The Refurb Mac Minis in the UK all seem to be older models with max 2560 x 1600 displays not the 4K of the current MM models. Good thing I checked the tech specs or I would have been tempted to upgrade my 2011 Mac Mini Media server (with 2TB SSD) to get 4K on my photographs playing to my 4K TV, then been desperately disappointed.

9. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

I just checked there are still a few of the new Mac Minis in the UK refurb store. There were a lot yesterday. Sure there are some of the old ones as well.

10. shanmugam macrumors 68020

originally released date on the model should be able to differentiate between.

11. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

If it's space grey in color it's 2018, if it's silver it's 2014.

12. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

I believe part of the refurbishment is (often?) a new casing - certainly if there's noticeable wear this would be the case!

13. satchmo macrumors 68000

Exactly. When I come across a retailer that can’t even get their filter working, I wonder if they’re a legit business or a scam site.

14. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

That's not what I meant. Apple sells the products at super high prices. The loyal fans or those tied to the ecosystem will pay that ransom. Those who are price conscious will just wait for the refurb that comes out rather quickly nowadays because it is a fabricated refurbished stream. "Other companies" actually refurbish their products and they come out a lot later. I don't know.. I'm not arguing anything, just calling it like it is, should be pretty obvious? The upside is that revenue stream is very valuable to the bottom line. The downside is that long term, people will slowly gravitate towards other brands. Apple has been lucky that the competition hasn't been very good.

15. shanmugam macrumors 68020

Thanks!

16. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

I know, that's why I said I don't know if its worth buying a refurb or a new product with the 10% of student discount.

17. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

Given you still get the same warranty and the option of AC go with whatever is cheapest. The only caveat would be with laptops in relation to the number of battery cycles. But if you are looking at a 2018 MBA that should not be a concern as they likely won't have many.

18. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

iirc Apple replaces the battery with a brand new one as part as the refurbishment process :)

19. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

Not always from what I have seen/heard. My friend's girlfriend bought him a 13" MBP from the refurb store as a Christmas gift, it had something like 14 cycles already. He queried with Apple as he was expecting a new battery and they said they only replace MBP batteries if it is defective or above a certain number of cycles. No figure put on what a certain number was.

They say on the website that all refurbs come with a new battery.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    Just noticed they are selling refurb phones on the UK site, I don't think I have ever seen phones on there, things must be bad.

20. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

I would have exchanged it for one with a new battery, but that’s just me.

21. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

All products have returns. This is nothing new. I am glad the discounts are available.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Cool. Now I can pay less to experience keyboard failure firsthand.