Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2019 iPad Air and iPad Mini 5 Models

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began selling certified refurbished third-generation iPad Air and fifth-generation iPad mini models in the United States for the first time since the devices were released in March 2019.

A wide selection of refurbished iPad Air and iPad mini 5 models are available, including configurations with Wi-Fi or LTE, 64GB or 256GB storage, and Space Gray, Gold, or Silver finishes. Prices are discounted by around 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new models on Apple.com.

Apple says certified refurbished iPad models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged in a new white box, with all accessories and documentation included. Every refurbished iPad receives a new battery and a new outer shell, making them virtually indistinguishable from brand new iPads.

Every refurbished iPad is covered by Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the tablet is delivered. The coverage can be extended to two years from the refurbished purchase date with AppleCare+, which costs $69 or $3.49 per month for the latest iPad Air and iPad mini in the United States.

While certified refurbished iPads represent a decent opportunity for savings straight from Apple, better deals are often available from resellers like Amazon and Best Buy. Be sure to monitor our Apple Deals roundup.

(Thanks, Shanmugam Senthivel!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2019 iPad Air and iPad Mini 5 Models

Last edited:

Jolson247

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Sorry if it’s off topic a bit but does anyone know why “Display Zoom/View/Zoomed” isn’t included on the iPad Mini? I have it on my iPhone 8Plus and my iPad 9.7. For some reason it’s not included on an iPad with a form factor right between the sizes of those two. I’d love to get the iPad mini but it doesn’t have this function and my eyesight isn’t the best with small stuff without reading glasses (or Display Zoom). Thanks!

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
I love my iPad Mini 2019, great for binge watching movies on long plane trips. Even has a headphone jack! I can charge and plug in my Bose QC25 headphones at the same time. Great battery life, supports fast charging over USB-C. I bought an awesome handmade leather case for it from Etsy by some cool guy in NY - fun to pick out just the right case. (https://lusciousleatherny.com/colle...leather-tablet-sleeve-travel-mini-ipad-clutch) The form factor is just perfect with the iPad mini, it’s more the size of a book rather than a magazine like with the standard iPad. Perfect for ebooks too, the Kindle is a joke compared to this.

A12 processor, True Tone laminated Retina display... the only potential weakness is the lack of stereo speakers, but I tend to use AirPods or headphones so I don’t care.

This is my first iPad, it finally checked all the boxes. I don’t expect to replace it until there’s a new iPad mini someday.

Last edited:

Purdue

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
I've been planning to get the mini 5 and just waiting for them to start selling refurbished. I plan to use it as my phone with Hangouts for calls, a little big but I have big pockets and bad eyes!
If I understand you, yours is the best idea. I picked up a mini 5LTE cellular one
- - Post merged: - -

The prices on a 9.7 iPad Pro are ridiculous.
Ridiculously good, low, discounted? Or ridiculously bad, high, not worth the effort?

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
ha I got the new mini 5, 256 with 3 years apple care from a medical student in June for $400 with smart case. I guess if a university buys it it comes with an extra year of apple care. better deals on craigslist than apple

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
better deals on craigslist than apple
no 1 year warranty on Craigslist. It could have more issues than it’s worth. I’ll by from Apple before saving a few bucks on something that could be locked (not everyone knows about the activation lock like we do on here)... and again, a warranty. Others have said Micro Center as well.

Ridiculously good, low, discounted? Or ridiculously bad, high, not worth the effort?
high, sorry. I got a better deal new when it was out for 3 months at Best Buy. That iPad is almost 4 years old and they want that much?

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Good price for someone looking to get the new mini5. Great iPad.
The iPad mini is a great device so if you want one and can pick this then it’s a steal for sure.

Noice.
I don’t see how $340 is a great price when the full-size iPads were $250 new last holiday season.

i still use an old mini a great deal, and it’s my favorite size for a home-based iOS device, but I got the “big” iPad because the mini’s price was and remains too dammed high.

I get that the mini has nicer specs, etc, but when I’m ipadding, they‘re simply not worth extra cash. And I’m not paying $100 for a smaller screen. /shrug

Why (serious question) wouldnt you prefer to save $100 and get the big iPad? Or grab the previous mini on eBay?

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don’t see how $340 is a great price when the full-size iPads were $250 new last holiday season.

i still use an old mini a great deal, and it’s my favorite size for a home-based iOS device, but I got the “big” iPad because the mini’s price was and remains too dammed high.

I get that the mini has nicer specs, etc, but when I’m ipadding, they‘re simply not worth extra cash. And I’m not paying $100 for a smaller screen. /shrug

Why (serious question) wouldnt you prefer to save $100 and get the big iPad? Or grab the previous mini on eBay?
I prefer the size and portability of the mini 5. I use it more then my iPhone. I can carry my mini everywhere without having to hold it. Can’t do that with the bigger iPads.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018

1. Bigger iPads are too big for use on the go.
  2. Previous mini is ancient and outdated. Same processor as iPhone 6.
  3. The cheap big iPad doesn’t have the fully laminated, anti reflective True Tone P3 display that the 2019 mini has. Big difference in quality.
  4. The big cheap iPad uses a relatively weak A10 processor, same as the iPhone 7. The iPad Mini 2019 uses the A12 which is twice as powerful.

Last edited:

dgdosen

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
So this means new iPad mini?
How about a move to face id and smaller bezels?

I keep hitting the home button when i write on the current mini...
And I don't like writing on a bigger ipads because of smudging.

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
How about a move to face id and smaller bezels?

I keep hitting the home button when i write on the current mini...
And I don't like writing on a bigger ipads because of smudging.
Refurbished don’t necessarily mean a new mini is coming soon. Apple is trying to recoup money from returns.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

But they have an inferior processor and display. And some people prefer the smaller size.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’d say doubtful. I don’t think the Mini is really meant to be updated annually or even every 18 months for that matter. I think Apple brought the mini back to Expand the iPad line up to a larger demographic, but keeping it relatively affordable away from the ‘Pro’ models. Anybody that really wants iPad mini, probably isn’t looking for the latest specs’, but simply wants that form factor to continue on, which made it so popular in the first place.

Reactions: LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.