Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began selling certified refurbished iPhone XR models in select colors and capacities for the first time in the United States. Refurbished iPhone XR models are priced at a roughly 16 percent discount compared to current pricing on brand-new units, knocking $100-120 off of the regular price.

iphone_xr_refurbished.jpg

In addition to the 64GB and 128GB capacities matching current brand-new iPhone XR models, refurbished units are also available with 256GB of storage, although currently only in black. The iPhone XR was initially offered in all three capacities at its launch in 2018, but when the iPhone XR moved down the lineup as a lower-priced option in September 2019, the 256GB models were discontinued.

• 64GB: $499, down from current $599 price and $749 launch price
  • 128GB: $539, down from current $649 price and $799 launch price
  • 256GB: $629, down from former $749 clearance price and $899 launch price
All current refurbished iPhone XR models come carrier unlocked and without a SIM, so they can be activated with any carrier you choose.

Apple says all refurbished iPhone models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged with a new white box and all manuals and accessories. Apple also installs a new battery and replaces the outer shell, making it nearly impossible to distinguish between a refurbished and brand new iPhone.

Any refurbished iPhone model comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the device is delivered, which can be extended with AppleCare+ at a flat rate of $149 or for $7.99 per month on the iPhone XR. Upgraded AppleCare+ with theft and loss coverage is available for a flat rate of $249 or for $12.99 per month.

(Thanks, Shan!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished iPhone XR Models

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I’ve got to agree. I just bought my kids iPhone SE 2nd gens and they came out to 200 bucks each, after the 24 months of credits. Seems like a much better deal than these refurbs.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Seeing the same thing. New but 9 month old release iPhone 11 is $699. 2 year old XR is $599. 2 year old XR Refurb is $499. iPhone SE2 (aka iPhone 8 meets the SE) is $399. And an iPhone 8 Plus Refurb is $479. Somehow the XR is the ugly duckling in this picture.

I guess Apple is saying $500 is the entry point to FaceID / Fullscreen.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Interesting to compare to the SE2. $100 more, bigger screen, much bulkier, much longer battery life, uses Face ID.

I’d take the SE2 for $100 less. Faster, much smaller and lighter, has Apple leather cases available, takes better pictures and videos, battery life is plenty good enough for my needs, Touch ID serves me better, don’t miss the notch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Interesting to compare to the SE2. $100 more, bigger screen, much bulkier, much longer battery life, uses Face ID.

I’d take the SE2 for $100 less. Faster, much smaller and lighter, has Apple leather cases available, takes better pictures and videos, battery life is plenty good enough for my needs, Touch ID serves me better, don’t miss the notch.

Consumers are choosing Face ID versus touch ID. The price point for a ~$100 of a difference isn’t that much, but when you look at the ‘new edge‘ design versus the datEd design of the SE2, I think others will gravitate toward the XR simply because of the refreshed look. [And equally they both include the one-year warranty from Apple.]

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Seeing the same thing. New but 9 month old release iPhone 11 is $699. 2 year old XR is $599. 2 year old XR Refurb is $499. iPhone SE2 (aka iPhone 8 meets the SE) is $399. And an iPhone 8 Plus Refurb is $479. Somehow the XR is the ugly duckling in this picture.

I guess Apple is saying $500 is the entry point to FaceID / Fullscreen.

Yep - that's exactly the way I looked at it: $500 is the entry point to Face ID/fullscreen. So I did it. That alone is worth it to me, despite the SE2 having the newer processor. I'd rather have the bigger screen, no bezels, and amazing battery life. Excited to get mine next week!

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Yep - that's exactly the way I looked at it: $500 is the entry point to Face ID/fullscreen. So I did it. That alone is worth it to me, despite the SE2 having the newer processor. I'd rather have the bigger screen, no bezels, and amazing battery life. Excited to get mine next week!

There are definitely really nice options, which is great for everyone!

I’ve been pretty happy going from an iPhone XS to my new iPhone SE. The camera is a nice improvement, it’s incredibly small and light, battery life is much better, I like having a 16:9 screen without cropped corners or a notch.

I love Touch ID. I’m unlearning all these little habits I had learned for the sake of Face ID, like quickly looking straight at the phone when I unlock it, waiting until after unlocking the phone to take a sip, little things like that. Great for grocery shopping while wearing a mask, too. I was getting tired of typing in my pass code.

You really can’t go wrong with the new SE2 vs an XR, they’re both terrific values and satisfy different needs.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Too late. Got a referb iPhone 8 Plus 256 for $242 with tax to replace my work iPhone 6.
Whats strange is the iPhone 8 Plus boots up faster than my iPhone 11 Pro Max Both running iOS 13. I suppose iOS 13 is optimized better for the 8, maybe iOS 14 will be optimized for the 11 later this year when the 12 model comes out.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
but having options are great isn't it

No. Not it’s not. I remember when there was just an iPhone. ONE MODEL. I was happy to buy an iPhone.

Fast forward to today and I have an iPhone XR. It’s a good phone. But I’m not always happy because I couldn’t afford the more expensive Pro model.

I also bought the red model. Most of the time I like it but then some days I wish I had bought the white model.

If there was only one model, in one color it would stop myself (and others) from comparing my phone to others and stop wondering if I made the right decision.

More Choices Lead To Less Happiness

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No they're not. They don't have a choice. I think touch ID is better.

I have no idea what you’re trying to imply here, nor does your opinion really make sense in contrast to what I posted. The iPhone SE 2 offers touch ID and iPhone XR offers Face ID, The consumer has a choice in terms of what they’re choosing with biometric security with two different technologies offerEd from two different phones. You said you prefer touch ID, obviously your choice would be confined to the iPhone SE 2, versus if XYZ person chooses/prefers Face ID, then the obvious choice would be the XR. No snark, I don’t understand what’s so difficult If somebody has a preference with totally two different types of biometric technologies that have different capabilities That change the way we interact with our phone.

Reactions: mech986

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I recently ordered a refurb iPad Air 3. Had to return it because of a persistent and random black screen problem. Kind of spoiled my taste for apples refurb store.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
No. Not it’s not. I remember when there was just an iPhone. ONE MODEL. I was happy to buy an iPhone.

Fast forward to today and I have an iPhone XR. It’s a good phone. But I’m not always happy because I couldn’t afford the more expensive Pro model.

I also bought the red model. Most of the time I like it but then some days I wish I had bought the white model.

If there was only one model, in one color it would stop myself (and others) from comparing my phone to others and stop wondering if I made the right decision.

More Choices Lead To Less Happiness
It must suck to be you. Does this neurosis extend beyond Apple products?

What a boring world this would be:

One type of tree. One type of fish. One race of humans. One type of car. One type of pants. One style of glasses. One type of couch. One paint color for the walls. One brand of tacos. One style of pizza. One TV channel. One position in bed.

I'd advise that you get help, but I fear there are more than one psychiatrist out there to choose from, so I would't want to cause you any more pain.

:p

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I sold my 128 XR for $525 a few weeks ago when I got an 128 SE2 for $250 through the Walmart deal.
If the fall iPhones are cool maybe I’ll pick one up

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I sold my 128 XR for $525 a few weeks ago when I got an 128 SE2 for $250 through the Walmart deal.
If the fall iPhones are cool maybe I’ll pick one up
Was it difficult to adjust back to touch-ID and smaller screen? SE2 checks all the boxes for me, including esim except the small screen compared to my XR.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Consumers are choosing Face ID versus touch ID. The price point for a ~$100 of a difference isn’t that much, but when you look at the ‘new edge‘ design versus the datEd design of the SE2, I think others will gravitate toward the XR simply because of the refreshed look. [And equally they both include the one-year warranty from Apple.]
What are you talking about? Consumers didn’t even have a choice up till a month ago, and since then they’ve been buying the SE2 in droves. Besides that the XR is a GD brick in your hand due to its weight, thickness and overall size so the SE2 has proven very popular with women, teens and anyone with smaller hands that wants a good camera and snappy processor but not all the bulk.

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Interesting takes here. I basically came here to say that $100 more for faceid, larger screen, and better battery life seems like a fairly straightforward (no-brainer) choice to me. (Yes, slightly slower CPU).
Or $140 more for 64gb additional storage as well.

BUT.

If you can get the upgrade/payment thing on the SE2, that definitely tilts the scales back to the SE2.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
What are you talking about? Consumers didn’t even have a choice up till a month ago, and since then they’ve been buying the SE2 in droves. Besides that the XR is a GD brick in your hand due to its weight, thickness and overall size so the SE2 has proven very popular with women, teens and anyone with smaller hands that wants a good camera and snappy processor but not all the bulk.

Just chiming in on the smaller hands thing - I’m 6’5”, I have fairly large hands, and I love the feel of the SE2. It fits more comfortably in my pockets than the XR or 11, which are nearly “purse sized” in my mind.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
A discounted 2 year old phone is a great option now. Should provide a great experience for years. Now we have Apple giving us a lower priced new option, to. Win, win.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
A discounted 2 year old phone is a great option now. Should provide a great experience for years. Now we have Apple giving us a lower priced new option, to. Win, win.
My main issue with a 2-year old phone, or rather 2-year old processor is that it will last 2 years less than a new phone. So an initial investment of a $499 XR with $129 AppleCare amortized over 3 years is $17.44/month as opposed to a $399 SE 2 with $79 AppleCare amortized over 5 years at $7.97/month.
Of course this only applies if you usually keep your phone a long time and are looking for the lowest and best long-term investment which is what most customers buying the SE do (older generations and young kids)… and before you say anything, I said “most”! …and the fact that the Macrumors crowd is not your typical customer base.

Reactions: Gusjasso
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.