Apple Begins Selling Standalone 2-Meter Thunderbolt 3 Pro Cable for $129

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quietly started selling its 2-meter Thunderbolt 3 cable priced at $129, offering a braided design and active cable technology that supports full Thunderbolt 3 data transfer speeds of up to 40Gb/s. This marks the first time the cable has been available as a standalone purchase, as it is otherwise only available included with the Pro Display XDR.

Featuring a black braided design that coils without tangling, this 2-meter cable supports Thunderbolt 3 data transfer up to 40Gb/s, USB 3.1 Gen 2 data transfer up to 10Gb/s, DisplayPort video output (HBR3), and charging up to 100W. Use this cable to connect a Mac with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 3 devices such as Pro Display XDR, docks, and hard drives.
Passive Thunderbolt 3 cables like Apple's standard version are limited to shorter lengths of less than a meter, as they are unable to maintain maximum speeds over longer lengths. Active electronics in the cable connectors are required for longer-length cables, which adds significantly to the cost. Even so, Apple's Thunderbolt 3 Pro Cable carries a price premium over many other active cables, including an $80 Belkin one also carried by Apple.

Lengths beyond two or three meters require optical cables that are even more expensive, and optical Thunderbolt 3 cables are only just now starting to come to market with prices starting at several hundred dollars.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Standalone 2-Meter Thunderbolt 3 Pro Cable for $129

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
This is the downside to TB3. My eGPU is several inches from my MacBook Pro, and that’s where it’s going to stay.

sunman42

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Maryland, USA
That's quite a price for a cable. I haven't spent that much on a cable since I bought a 5-meter optical Thunderbolt cable at work a few years ago.

HalfNelson

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
So does the $80 Belkin one - what's so special about the apple one that warrants a 162% price increase?

It is a 62% increase in price, not 162%.
- - Post merged: - -

What Apple isn't specifically telling us is that this is can be used as a USB C cable as well. It works with iPad Pro too.
The belkin is Thunderbolt 3 only.

Belkin is only 60 W charging. Also, Apple stuff is PVC free for environmental reasons (for better or worse), I don't see any such claim on the Belkin.

AED55280-BE5D-4756-8D22-CEE69A28B5CE.jpeg

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Come on people, I would have thought you would have all learnt by now that Apple do not design and price things for the plebs and dregs of society. If a person complains about the price of an Apple product then your not the kind of person Apple want's as a customer. Apple customers don't complain about the price of their products because Apple customers are supposed to be wealthy people who do not care how things are priced

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Do active cables for things like Thunderbolt introduce a little more latency because there are now more stages in the signal path?

Reactions: canhaz and mam8dg

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
perhaps we‘re talking about production costs of below $10 and a very steep margin to the sales price?
A bit like the junk from textile companies... :-(
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. In order to test a 40 Gbps Thunderbolt cable, you need a $10,200 software application to run on an oscilloscope. The oscilloscope itself costs $405,681. So for the equipment you need to test each cable coming off the line, you've spent close to a half million dollars per station.

This is production test, we're not even talking about the software and hardware you need to design the cable.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. In order to test a 40 Gbps Thunderbolt cable, you need a $10,200 software application to run on an oscilloscope. The oscilloscope itself costs $405,681. So for the equipment you need to test each cable coming off the line, you've spent close to a half million dollars per station.

This is production test, we're not even talking about the software and hardware you need to design the cable.
You have amazing insight into precise costings. This is why I love the internet. There's no shortage of experts who the rest of us can learn from. Thanks for shutting down the conversations about this being overpriced so comprehensively. :)

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
You have amazing insight into precise costings. This is why I love the internet. There's no shortage of experts who the rest of us can learn from. Thanks for shutting down the conversations about this being overpriced so comprehensively. :)
Quick search on Keysight's website. I actually have a related 'scope at work so I had seen their advertising.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Quick search on Keysight's website. I actually have a related 'scope at work so I had seen their advertising.
Yeah most of us are too lazy to do any actual research. We're just here to sound off about what we think, we feel, and believe. ;)

If it wasn’t for people in this form we would never know Apple products are expensive 😂
Apple's premium products are not even that expensive. Who couldn't afford to buy this cable if they really needed it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.