Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Wednesday introduced new iPad Pro models equipped with an A12Z Bionic chip and new LiDAR Scanner, which is designed to deliver enhanced augmented reality experiences.

ipadproshippingchina.jpg

The first iPad Pro orders are expected to start arriving to customers on Wednesday, March 25, and to make sure the tablets reach consumers on time, Apple has begun shipping the new iPad Pro models from China.

Apple is not yet providing shipping details through its own tracking system, but customers in the United States who are receiving their packages through UPS can use the track by reference feature with a phone number or an order number to track their packages.

ipadproar2.jpg

UPS My Choice, which displays upcoming deliveries in a calendar view for those who sign up for an account, also lists iPad Pro shipments that are in transit at the current time. Signing up for a UPS My Choice account is free.

While the new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models are expected to arrive next week, the new Magic Keyboard with trackpad that Apple debuted alongside them is not going to be available for purchase until sometime in May.

ipadpromagickeyboard.jpg

Orders placed today for the iPad Pro will arrive to customers between April 3 and April 7, with early supplies of the device available for March 25 delivery having been exhausted. Pricing on the new 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799 for 128GB of storage, while pricing on the 12.9-inch model starts at $999 for 128GB of storage.

Article Link: Apple Begins Shipping iPad Pro Orders From China Ahead of First Deliveries on March 25

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
^^^
March 17, 2020

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

"The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine. The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel."

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
^ This info is from CDC regarding risk of receiving imported packages:

View attachment 900132

Most likely source of infection will be from domestic UPS workers. The number of cases in the U.S. is rising exponentially and there's no PPE. While China is swimming in PPE and has no new reported cases.

For people who are concerned, they should sanitize their deliveries from UPS and ask the driver to leave it at the door.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Most likely source of infection will be from domestic UPS workers. The number of cases in the U.S. is rising exponentially and there's no PPE. While China is swimming in PPE and has no new reported cases.

For people who are concerned, they should sanitize their deliveries from UPS and ask the driver to leave it at the door.

The victim blaming from ministry of misinformation. Imagine someone with STD/HIV, not notifying partners for several months, knowingly infected people, silenced those that got infected then blamed the victims. There are local laws against that and it should be expanded on a global scale.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Indeed just found my order in UPS my choice calendar but hadn't been notified. Ordered probably 10 minutes after announcement of them.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
And then leave it on your porch for a week before bringing it in? Delivery person could be infected (could have picked it up at the previous stop).

Terrible suggestion. The recipient is liable when the package is left on the porch for a week and stolen. The shipping company is liable when it's in transit for a week.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The victim blaming from ministry of misinformation. Imagine someone with STD/HIV, not notifying partners for several months, knowingly infected people, silenced those that got infected then blamed the victims. There are local laws against that and it should be expanded on a global scale.

Nothing to do with blaming. Right now, it's about slowing community infections.

The reality is, telling people to choose the "slowest delivery option just to be cautious" is meaningless given there are 16,000+ cases in the U.S. Even Canada has closed the U.S. border. The most likely source will be the UPS delivery person.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Too bad the fancy new keyboard wasn't available with the new iPad. Usually, Apple is on top of things like that.

I agree, the combination will be nice for those who want it right away. Usually I’m one that likes to see ‘hands-on reviews’ first, but with this new keyboard, I am much sold on it. As of now, it’s just a matter of placing the order when it’s actually available, and this will be my new ‘desktop station’ moving forward once I have the iPad/keyboard to pair.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Terrible suggestion. The recipient is liable when the package is left on the porch for a week and stolen. The shipping company is liable when it's in transit for a week.
Not a suggestion. Perhaps you missed the question mark in the post you responded to - the point was, if you’re choosing a slow shipping method to minimize chances of contamination, that doesn’t account for the “last mile” delivery to your door. It could just as easily have been contaminated by the delivery person, with virus they picked up at the previous stop - if you have to have procedures in place to counter that anyway, it takes away quite a bit from the “pick a slow delivery method” suggestion.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Huh? Who's the victim, who's being blamed, and who's blaming?

Reactions: n0-0ne and bobob

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Too bad the fancy new keyboard wasn't available with the new iPad. Usually, Apple is on top of things like that.
Agreed. I’m holding off my order until the Magic Keyboard is available, and just order it all at the same time. Plus, I figure waiting might be prudent. If there are any issues with the new IPP, we should all know by then.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Spray it down with Lysol when you get it, and not just because it’s coming from China, but it’s goes through quite a process before it even reaches your door in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.