Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
For me, the camera is the most important function of the iPhone, I sure hope the next iPhone has a f/1.7 optical setup or faster!!! I'm tired of f/2.2 and average image quality. Apple sure is SLOW at evolving their iPhone cameras, especially since they advertise so heavily about iPhone photography.

As much as I despise android phones, the galaxy note 7 has a fantastic camera and if I have to switch just because of a camera, I'll be doing so with bitterness. But at least my iPhone 6s Plus is paid for an I can still use it for normal stuff and use the Samsung for the photos if I go that route. Sounds rediculas but if Apple doesn't deliver, that will be lame, they will be lame!

I don't know what the purpose of a dual lens camera will be, the optics still look like they are f/2.2 (small lenses) from the leaked photos I've seen. The 4.7" iPhone 7 looked to have a larger camera housing, hopefully that will be f/1.4 or 1.7. I just hope apple does the same for the plus.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Honestly, I think it's best to say the Key Note will answer all your questions. I think the dual camera will be one of the most anticipated parts of the event if true. I personally will upgrade to the 4.7 iPhone, but if the 5.5 iPhone offers substantial improvements with the dual camera, then I may consider this model as well.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Honestly I would hope the Note 7 has a better camera than the current crop of iPhones. Samsung has been pretty good about the cameras they place in their phones, and the software to go along with it. They've had one of the top rated smartphone cameras the past couple years and the Note 7 is about 10 months newer than the last iPhone. It should be common sense that the Note 7 camera is better than the iPhone 6s series.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
im sure it will be better than your iPhone 6S Plus.

I sure hope so! After playing with the Note 7 camera, the iPhone camera just looks years behind.
[doublepost=1472013290][/doublepost]
Honestly I would hope the Note 7 has a better camera than the current crop of iPhones. Samsung has been pretty good about the cameras they place in their phones, and the software to go along with it. They've had one of the top rated smartphone cameras the past couple years and the Note 7 is about 10 months newer than the last iPhone. It should be common sense that the Note 7 camera is better than the iPhone 6s series.

Yeah the Note 7 has the same camera as the S7. There's no difference.

Reactions: ABC5S

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Yeah the Note 7 has the same camera as the S7. There's no difference.
I never said there was a difference. Even the S7 is a newer device than the 6s series, so my statement still stands; just a 5 month newer camera on a 10 month newer device.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally, i think the camera will be great, i think people are underestimating what a dual camera can do, it's all going to depend on what Apple do with it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you look at the comparos that aren't driven by internet hyperbole, the cameras in the galaxy model are slightly better than the iphone. More resolution, less accuracy in color rendition is the bottom line. If the note 7 is basically similiar to the galaxy, I would expect the reviews to be similar. I personally prefer more color accuracy, better dynamic range that's found on the iphone 6s, with less blown out highlights. But to each their own.

Last edited:

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
the optics still look like they are f/2.2 (small lenses) from the leaked photos I've seen.

But as you don't know if the focal length has changed, the fact that the lens is "small" doesn't necessarily mean the aperture isn't doing to be greater.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Usually a better camera and faster processor is a given. Sadly, it doesn't look like there's much else to the rumored iphone. Losing headphone jack isn't a feature but the bloggers sure seem intent on treating it as such.

Apple is going to hate life this year IMO. The media has slowly been getting more critical with them and I don't expect to see a love fest this fall after they unveil this SE. Apple will deserve it too. I think a dealbreaker for me will be lightning only headphone port. To not go USB-C instead will be inexcusable on top of it.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
But as you don't know if the focal length has changed, the fact that the lens is "small" doesn't necessarily mean the aperture isn't doing to be greater.

I was comparing the small optics to the much larger optic in the galaxy note 7 which is F/1.7. So the optical element is a good 60% larger than what the iPhone currently has so therefore it lets in more light, has a shallow depth of field, and the Samsung camera focuses extremely fast, much faster than the iPhone. But due to the fact that I don't care for android software, it's difficult for me to justify buy that phone just for the camera.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I was comparing the small optics to the much larger optic in the galaxy note 7 which is F/1.7. So the optical element is a good 60% larger than what the iPhone currently has so therefore it lets in more light, has a shallow depth of field, and the Samsung camera focuses extremely fast, much faster than the iPhone. But due to the fact that I don't care for android software, it's difficult for me to justify buy that phone just for the camera.
The iphone captures more accurate colors though.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/306...e-camera-shootout-galaxy-s7-vs-iphone-6s.html

Reactions: M. Gustave

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
For me, the camera is the most important function of the iPhone, I sure hope the next iPhone has a f/1.7 optical setup or faster!!! I'm tired of f/2.2 and average image quality. Apple sure is SLOW at evolving their iPhone cameras, especially since they advertise so heavily about iPhone photography.
How are they slow at evolving their cameras? Immediately after launch iPhones consistently have the best cameras in the market up until Samsung releases their next device months later. This cycle has been going on for nearly 4 years...how is jumping back and forth in the camera horserace make them slow? o_O

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Which is only one part of the story if you read the article - Samsung's camera still trumps overall - also the fact that you can switch between full auto or manual is great.
Yes Samsung camera won....by a hair. So basically you put blinders on and ignored the entire article.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I really hope Apple adds a functionality to quick launch the camera similar to the Galaxy phones and Nexus phones (tap home or power button 2x to launch). This is one feature that I've been hoping for, for a long time.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
How are they slow at evolving their cameras? Immediately after launch iPhones consistently have the best cameras in the market up until Samsung releases their next device months later. This cycle has been going on for nearly 4 years...how is jumping back and forth in the camera horserace make them slow? o_O

They are slow at evolving because they only changed the sensors in the cameras for the iPhone 4-6. The optics didn't change much the F/ratio went from 2.4 to 2.2, Apple used eight megapixel cameras for four generations and finally on the 6S they went to a 12mp, but still at f/2.2. Took them only four years to get away from the 8mp camera while other phones had 13~16mp. They need to have f/1.4~1.7 on the next camera. Samsung is a couple of years ahead of apple in the camera department.

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
Yes Samsung camera won....by a hair. So basically you put blinders on and ignored the entire article.

No I did not on some aspects it also personal preference - the washed out colors of the iPhone need post processing like the article states, on other aspects the Samung camera us better e.g. picture of dove flying by

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No I did not on some aspects it also personal preference - the washed out colors of the iPhone need post processing like the article states, on other aspects the Samung camera us better e.g. picture of dove flying by
And poor color rendition in a number of scenarios that aren't even fixable with software. So pick your poison is the point. And as for personal preference, I would rather have the dynamic range than burnt out highlights.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
The 6s may have more accurate colours but they are dull. Not to mention that half the images are not as sharp. It is most likely to do with the delay in the OIS than anything.
My S6 pictures were more lively and popped.
I like my screens truer to life but I want my pictures to pop especially since I'm not that keen on post processing images from the phone.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I was comparing the small optics to the much larger optic in the galaxy note 7 which is F/1.7. So the optical element is a good 60% larger than what the iPhone currently has so therefore it lets in more light, has a shallow depth of field

First of all, you need an aperture twice as wide just to gain a one stop advantage. So the Samdung would need to be f/1.1.
Secondly, with the teeny tiny sensors in all these phone cameras, there is no such thing as "shallow depth of field". It's effectively zero to infinity focus unless you're at practically macro distances.

My cheapo Canon Elph from 2012 still blows every phone camera out of the water. Having said that, the iPhone camera is super convenient, handy, and produces very good results in most cases.

Reactions: I7guy

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The 6s may have more accurate colours but they are dull.
This reminds me of when people complained about how flat MP3s sounded on iPods (when they first came out) because unlike the other MP3 players that people we used to (that added bass and tweaked up the treble by default), the iPod played the music as how it was recorded.

It's all personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.