Apple billing rage.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Awjvail, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Okay. So I just got off the phone with Apple. Little bit angry.

On Saturday, I placed an order over the phone with an Apple rep. I had to pay using wire transfer because my credit card limit is low.

So, anyways - I place the order, and follow ALL of the steps to place an order using wire transfer.

At the end of the call, I specifically ask for the TOTAL AMOUNT that the order will be (aka the amount I should send the wire transfer for). The Apple agent states that the order total is $1738. So that's great.

I call up my bank and send the wire transfer for $1738, which was a $35 charge. $1738 was the total amount showing on my Order Information page on the Apple Store as well.

Things are going along just fine, until today, when I receive an email from Apple. "Action Required" - "We received your payment in the amount of $1,738.00. However,
    your order total is $1,963.94. Please remit the difference of
    $225.94 in one of the below payment methods, so that we may continue
    processing your order."

WHAT? Apparently my order was in limbo - my order was NOT actually placed when I placed the order, nor was the total final. Even though I specifically asked for the grand total of the order, which is step two, (Obtain the final dollar total of your order including tax and any applicable shipping charges from the Apple Store representative.), and was given the total.

They want me to spend an additional $35 to wire them another $225.94 that they applied after the total was given, and after I paid.

This is a problem because with my bank, wire transfers take 2-5 days to process, plus another day for Apple to process. While she offered to discount the $35 for an additional wire transfer, this still means an additional week of waiting for my laptop.

What do you think they should do? Should they eat the extra $225 that was not applied for the laptop at time of payment?

If you were given a total, paid it, and then the company came back and said "oh we forgot to charge you for the sales tax, $225 or we won't send your product" what would you do?

(I just re-read this post and saw how much of a complete mess it is... sorry... I'm a bit angry)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It depends if you want the new MBP. They have already offered to refund $35, I would take that and move on.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ideally you should tell Apple to go ******** them self's and attempt to get your original price quote using some combination of "ill" "lawyer" "false advertisement" "never buying again" you get the point but I guess going to the apple store and doing this in person might hit home better. I would just pay the difference then complain to apple for a refund.

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter how angry you are. The buyer is legally obligated to pay the sales tax. That's how it works. Apple may have ****ed it up, but it's on you to pay it, hands down.

5. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Sounds frustrating and the extra week wait is clearly upsetting you.

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

How badly do you want the Mac?

That should answer all of your questions and dictate what you will do next.

-P

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just pay the amount required, then get away from the computer and the forums and everything related to the fiasco. Cool your head.

Then when the computer arrives, everything will be fine.

8. Awjvail, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011

Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the buyer is legally obligated to pay the sales tax... however, isn't Apple obligated to honor the total given, once money has already changed hands?

I'm fine with paying the sales tax - I was told by the rep (obviously wrongly) that "Sales tax doesn't apply because it's a wire transfer". I specifically mentioned the sales tax after he gave me the total and he insisted that it was right.

If Apple wanted to they could listen to the recording of my call and see that this is the case.

My problem is a) I don't want to wait another week for my Mac. Apple already has my money in their bank account, and if I wanted a refund so I can purchase in an actual store, they take 2 weeks. b) I want to pay the total that I was given, multiple times by their sales rep AND by their website.

Although the more I think about it, the more I feel like I'm being an asshat.

9. macheed macrumors newbie

I know that you are currently very annoyed. However, if I were you, I would either go ahead and pay the difference to Apple and then wait for your mbp or get all your money back and go and order it in an Apple Store.
    Either way, try to calm down. The only person losing out on this is you and it is not worth it. In 2 months time the extra week delay will no longer matter.
    I hope that this helps.

10. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

If I wanted a refund, it'd end up taking way longer. I've heard of Apple wire transfer refunds taking anywhere from 2 weeks up to 6-8 weeks

11. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I'd just cancel the order and go to a store and pick it up there. Sure you might have to drive several hours out, depending on your location but that way it'd be simple and clean. Not to mention you'd get the laptop in your hands and you can inspect it on the spot if you really want everything to be perfect. win win.

12. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

wow that's frustrating. Honestly I would explain my situation to the rep, and say that I appreciate them offering to pay the $35 additional wire transfer fee (which I would think they should anyways considering the situation), however it seems completely unfair that I should have to wait this additional time to receive the computer considering the amount of effort I already put in. Their representative made a mistake when they first took your order, not you. If they aren't able to ship it out any faster or anything like that I would say that I would be satisfied with them waiving the $225.

If they say no deal, I'd say alright then lets cancel my order and I'd also like to be refunded for the $35 wire transfer fee that I was required to pay. If they say no, I'd ask to speak with a supervisor. Chances are they may end up waiving the $225 to save all the hassel of paperwork and refunding the $35. If they don't, just repurchase the computer once you've received all your money back. That's what I would do

13. /user/me macrumors 6502

But unless you got the quote, without sales tax, IN WRITING, there's nothing that you can do about it.. I'm quite sure that apple wouldn't provide/keep this documentation, because then they would be committing a crime. I tried buying an ipad 2 just now, to appease you. The prices they list do not include sales tax. It says this in multiple places on their website, and low and behold, as soon as i put in my shipping zip on the website where i was going to "buy" the ipad 2 from Apple, it slapped on a sales tax. It would be like someone that works at the courthouse telling you that you don't need a drivers license to operate a motor vehicle. Ok, so they might have been wrong, and you are pissed when you get stopped by the cops, but in the end it's all on you son.

14. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

The rep that I spoke to immediately transfered me to a supervisor without me asking... no dice. Regarding this issue, I haven't dealt with anybody BUT the supervisor.

15. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

Well... it WAS it writing on Apple's website... up until this morning when it magically changed after they received my money.

I probably should have taken a screenshot when I knew something was up.

16. /user/me macrumors 6502

Yea... That's the price that they display, but if you look closer, theres a little disclaimer that reads *prices do not include sales tax.

17. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you're misunderstanding me. There was no tax shown AFTER placing the order.

In the "Order Status" page I saw:

"Not yet shipped
    Product / Part No.

MBP 15.4/2.0/2X2GB/500/SD/GLSY-USA
    MC721LL/A

$1,738.00

Ships: In Stock
    Delivers: 16 Mar - 22 Mar

SubTotal: $1,738.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping Charge: $0.00
    Total: $1,738.00"

This wasn't in my "Cart" or in the Store.

18. G4DP macrumors 65816

If as the OP has stated, he asked the rep for the TOTAL amount, and that is what he transferred, the rep screwed up, Not the OP.

Offering $5 is an insult.

Also if his account stated the above then he is not liable.

Apple screwed up. Although unfortunately it is not the law that they have to honour a price given.

19. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to give it one more try... if they don't offer a better solution, I'm going to cave and pay the difference.

I really really really really don't want to cancel my order as I know that once I get my MBP, the customer service is superb. This is an odd case that is not typical of Apple.

I'm such a push-over :eek:

20. sydenham macrumors regular

Your not a pushover, your dealing with it like an adult. You seem to have known deep down inside you should have been paying tax all along, and you were hoping Apple made a mistake in your favour. To these other people telling you to demand things or act like a child because someone made a mistake... That is just lame. I know it must be frustrating having to wait a bit longer, but it will all blow over when your computer arrives. They have agreed to pay the extra $35 for you so its not too bad.

21. Awjvail thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay well I called Apple again... They gave me free expedited shipping and a $70 credit to cover the two $35 wire transfers.

Meh, not exactly what I'd call a "happy ending" but I'll take what I can get. All will be forgiven once my Macbook finally shows up :D

22. iZero macrumors regular

You're not being an asshat, you had/have a legitimate reason to be upset. But these things happen sometimes, sadly. People make mistakes :) Like you already said, once that thing gets to you, you'll forget alllll about this, and be glad you got the machine :)

23. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Sounds like a happy ending to me.

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Actually, I think that was really nice of them to do. Glad it all worked out.

Word to the wise - whenever you are having that sort of conversation on the phone about pricing, rather than just as for the total or the grand total, say, "Ok, what is the final charge, including any taxes and fees?" I do that now when I inquire about hotel reservations, etc. because I'm tired of hearing that the rate is $159 per day, only to find out that it's really $180 due to taxes, resort fees and so on.

Then when they tell you the amount, say "and that includes all taxes?"

They may still screw up, but if the call is a recorded call, it gives you more ammo.

25. sydenham macrumors regular

Pretty generous of them considering you were trying to avoid paying tax on an item you knew you should have been paying it on.