Apple blew it

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by PracticalMac, Feb 25, 2016.

1. PracticalMac, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I was looking to get an Apple Watch for my elderly dad to monitor his stats. After his recent operation he has been less active and wanted something to track his activity and hopefully encourage him to move.

When I looked into their iPad for the Apple Watch app, you guessed it, it’s not there.

It only exists on the iPhone, and the iPhone they do have does not support iOS 8!

I am mad that Apple does not include all the apps on iPad (save phone app). I realize a few functions of Apple Watch require an iPhone, but in this case I could not care less those functions are not supported. I needed the Health features, alarm features (meds), and he could receive iMessage and eMail notes.

EDIT add:
    /edit

Actually an iPad A-Watch app will have nice big displays of Health reports.

Bluetooth can only pair with 1 device? No problem! Just Wi-Fi (or BT) the data to other devices. In fact, Apple could easily set up a method of having information passed from device to device, so everyone could see Apple Watch metrics on iPad or Mac!

Anyway, I want to see the other Apple Apps on iPad, like compass, passbook, and voice memos on iPad.

(and an LED flash on back of iPad! #NoiPadShadow)

I ended up getting FitBit HR

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

The reason why the watch does not work with the iPad has been discussed many times... Unless the iPad was cellular, then it would be pretty much useless if you went anywhere not connected to wifi, and I'm fairly sure that the majority of iPads sold are not cellular models.

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

My Apple Watch won't connect to my iMac! It's outrageous!

/s

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i thought watch pairs to the phone via bluetooth when wifi isn't present.

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

How will you receive messages when there's no internet connection?

6. SilentDoom, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

SilentDoom macrumors member

Actually, this guys case is nothing to argue. I get he needs cellular for steps etc, but it shows a market that would like the device but can't.

Sure, it's about selling phones too, but they'd be still selling this $350+ item to this gentleman who already is in our ecosystem.

I too, would like the other Apple apps on my iPad pro. Calculator? I guess there's an app for that, but I like the one on my iPhone. I see no reason not to write the code to support iPad screens.

I came to this thread to be mad(and yes I admitted that) but I understand his frustration. He just wanted to give Apple money.

I see elderly people walk into my pizza place all the time with their Apple watches. The one guy has one to communicate with his glucose monitor, and they were estatic when we got Apple Pay so they could use their watches. Let's hope you might go back on this decision if watch 2 supports cellular(I don't see it) or iPads.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

in the OP's case, he/she doesn't care. he/she is in the minority, but that's still a small market that apple is missing out on for no reason. they could just make the app downloadable for the iPad. they don't even have to create a new app.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    you need cellular for steps? honest question.

8. SilentDoom macrumors member

I'm not sure, but I know runners need the gps of their phones, I guess maybe for miles/distance.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

20 things AW can do fine without an iPhone.

Again, what the AW can do without an iPhone is what I need it to do.
    The features with iPhone (or cellular enabled iPad) in range is icing on cake.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you really just want an activity tracker, I say Fitbit Charge HR is the better way to go anyway.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Read OP, last line.

FB is OK, tendency to sometimes report very high pulse, but there are other features with AW that I wanted.
    FB also does not let you selectively delete (erroneous) data, one can only erase everything if you ask ask company.

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Apple Watch is designed as extension of iPhone, not stand along, not replacement of iPhone.
    In order to use it effectively, you need to carry iPhone most of time, as part of "extension".

Could anyone image carrying a iPad on the street, just so he could use AW?
    Imaging someone only has iPad pro, I will pay to see that.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also the :apple:Watch needs the Health app, and this is an iPhone only app.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

15. VFC, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

VFC macrumors 6502a

I understand where the OP is coming from. His father mostly stays home and wants the "convenience" of a wrist worn device that would communicate important info to him from his iPad (or MAC). The AW would be always available (7x24) at the twist of his wrist (minus charging time).

- His iPad won't tap his wrist to get him to move ever so often.

- An alarm going off on his iPad to remind him to take meds won't do him any good if the iPad is in a different room.

16. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

What about a Microsoft Band and their health app? Although it's not the most aesthetically appealing, and perhaps stand uncomfortable, it does seem to contain some handy features and it appears the health app works on iPads.

17. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Does the AW stop working if out of range from iPhone?

No.

Reread the OP.

18. jasie02, Feb 27, 2016

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

So your notification work on the street without iPhone?
    Your GPS work on the street without iPhone?
    Your map work on the street without iPhone?
    Your weather work on the street without iPhone?
    Your phone call work on the street without iPhone?
    Your message work on the street without iPhone?
    ..............................etc etc etc etc etc for all other hundreds of AW app required iPhone.

Added: if you are going to spend money buying AW work less than few % of function, why spend money? Buy something useful and needed and could use up to 100% of function, not because you could and use few % of function.
    Your dad will be more impressed with something work all the time, than something he has to ask you why it does not work every single day.

19. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

I agree that some features of the AW would be weird using an iPad but a lot of people carry iPad's around with them daily. I see so many people with iPad's out in public that it wouldn't be that strange.

Some people have money to spend. I can easily spend money on an AW and use it for nothing but fitness tracking and health if Apple allowed us to use an iPad. I use my Fitbit Charge but I'd rather have an AW for the custom faces and bands and can easily spend money for just those features and wouldn't care that I'm missing a large part of the features.

Apple should allow US to decide if using just an iPad with the AW is enough for us. I doubt it's that hard to get the app on iPad's. If people don't want to spend money on an AW that can't use the phone features than they shouldn't. I would be glad to buy an AW and just use my ipad and forgo the features I'll be missing out on.

20. jasie02, Feb 27, 2016

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

So you are one of those people has money to spend and don't mind buying any toy, but thing only work half of way?
    And if you give something to your dad, your mom, your grand, that only work less than half of time, you have no problem give it to them, and tell them it only work less half of time?

Think about what you just say, it will determine how thoughtful you really are.

Added: Until Tim decide, or until you email Tim and able to convince him, AW without iPhone is approx. 50% function with Apple pre-installed app the most, and 0% (yes, that is big fat zero) function for hundred if not thousand of 3rd party app without iPhone.
    We could dream about future, and it is still future, not today.

Added more: Could you show us a picture you carry iPad pro down the street? Love to see that!
    If you don't do it, where did you actually see someone did it?

21. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

If it does what I want it to do than yeah. I want it to tell me the time and let me customize bands and watch faces. So if Apple allowed me to do that with an iPad it would do exactly what I want it for.

The OP wants it to monitor his Dad's stats so I'm guessing if the iPad allowed him to do that without the added features of using an iPhone he would be happy and getting what he paid for.

If someone wanted the iPhone features of the AW and they didn't have an iPhone than I would not buy it for them. But for me using an iPad with an AW would be what I want so I would be happy.

22. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

How does he "monitor" his dad with AW without iPhone?
    Could you explain to me how does he do that, NOW, not in the future?

AW does not support iPad NOW, and it might be 1 year, or 10 years, or 100 years, before it support.

23. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

That's the point of this whole thread. That he CAN'T do it now because Apple doesn't allow it. The OP wants Apple to allow iPad support so he CAN start monitoring without an iPhone.

24. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

That's the point of ALL of my post since my 1st post.
    Read it again carefully, my 1st post.

25. SilentDoom macrumors member

No, people want to just tell you you didn't do your homework, which makes no sense to me. I get defending Apple, bc I do frequently, but why in this case? Because you want them to buy a new phone? That's like telling the op to buy a new house because a car he likes won't fit in the garage. While it makes sense that you would logically have to buy a new house to keep it covered, why not keep it outside- because you'll probably eventually buy the house for the benefit. In this case, he doesn't have the option to keep outside. But he really wants to. And would buy the car. Although, I do see the reason why posting about it cant really solve the problem. And why some get frustrated with these posts. Just leave the thread bc your watch works fine with your phone- you have no desire for iPad support.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    If he wants it for activity tracking, don't you think that that would most likely be at home? Bc he wants him more active? It's easy to jump to the conclusion that carrying around an iPad everywhere isn't optimal, but at work and home my iPad is connected to wifi. It would Bluetooth in my car on the way. I work 8am-10pm, Tuesday-Sunday. And it's an iPad pro- so it seems like that system would work fine for me. I, however, have no interest in this bc my phones with me 100% of the time. Be open minded