Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New Media Age reports (via paidContent:UK) that Apple has hired two new managers focused on mobile advertising sales in its international markets as it seeks to takes advantage of its recent acquisition of Quattro Wireless.

According to the report, Apple has hired Theo Theodorou, previously a director of digital sales at publisher Hachette Filipacchi, as head of sales for the Europe, Middle East, and Asia (EMEA) in the Quattro Wireless group. Theodorou previously served as an advertising sales manager at Microsoft serving the same regions.

In addition, Apple has hired Todd Tran as general manager for its European mobile ad network. Tran previously served as managing director at Joule, a mobile marketing firm owned by GroupM, the world's largest advertising media company.

The hires come in the wake of several other hires in Apple's EMEA group focused on digital media, and Apple has been rumored to be looking to revolutionize mobile advertising in order to tackle Apple CEO Steve Jobs' complaint that "mobile ads suck".

Article Link: Apple Boosts Mobile Advertising Capabilities in International Markets With New Hires

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Mobile advertising is definitely moving into mainstream consciousness and it's clearly been on Apple's radar. Part of their effort will be to make ads as relevant as possible to each user. Basing ads on where users live and where they are at the moment will be part of that effort.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Soooo, if mobile ads suck less, will that be beneficial? If so, for whom? I ask.

Rocketman
That's a good question.

Suppose you are using ad-sponsored software on your phone or tablet and you are in the market for a new TV and have no interest in a new car. Suppose you purposely make that known to advertisers and, as a result, all of the ads you see on your phone or tablet are for TVs and none of them are for cars. It seems like that would be helpful to your shopping efforts.

Now suppose you didn't tell advertisers about your shopping interests but they figured it out somehow. You might get the same benefit from the focused ads but there's also a "big brother is watching you" factor at work.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
That's a good question.

Suppose you are using ad-sponsored software on your phone or tablet and you are in the market for a new TV and have no interest in a new car. Suppose you purposely make that known to advertisers and, as a result, all of the ads you see on your phone or tablet are for TVs and none of them are for cars. It seems like that would be helpful to your shopping efforts.

Now suppose you didn't tell advertisers about your shopping interests but they figured it out somehow. You might get the same benefit from the focused ads but there's also a "big brother is watching you" factor at work.

Except it was a rhetorical question. :) I have a degree in marketing.

May I opt out? :)

Rocketman

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Reek

Advertising was always going to be an infestation into the app market...
Look at youtube videos... now they even infest what we watch by popping up in the viewing panel.

So where possible, go into flight mode when playing a game ;)

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
I don't like the idea of Apple working in mobile advertising. Can't they just keep on manufacturing great hardware and software. Hell, if I wan't advertising related software from Apple it would be one blocking it and not pushing it to me effectively. I don't like this one bit... Web and mobile advertising do suck and pushing it to us more just make it suck even harder. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
"google is trying to kill the iPhone Buaaaa. Buaa. We won let them. They came to compete with us" BS. You jumped into advertising. I love apple and I love SJ. But he seems to be soooo full of S this year.

VulchR

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
If Apple are intending to make shopping on-line easier, then fine. If they are wanting to make better suggestions for me through iTunes, then fine. Heck - if they even want to sell things other than apps, music, e-books etc., then fine.

But if Apple tries to ram so much as one nuisance ad down my throat via bandwidth and hardware for which I pay through the nose, then I would not be amused.

Apple should focus on updating its software - To Do's still don't synchronize with the iPhone from iCal, nor does the iPhone have user profiles. You'd think they'd focus on remedying that kind of nonsense first....

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Any chance that this whole ad push by Apple is just a reaction to annoy Google after Google entered the smartphone market? Steve's sour grapes? (I'm not saying it's not an appropriate business move too, I'm just sayin'....)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.